Ironwood

flatfoot

Been gifted some short 10" Ironwood turning blanks ~ 3" dia. Very dark heartwood and light contrasting sapwood. Would like to use it to make an AFB bow scale/handle to take advantage of the contrast.
Have you worked this wood please? It is a new one to me.

D

Deleted member 7654

Nope... maybe try the woodworking forums?
BTW... when did we start saying "gifted"?
Now't wrong with "given" . Surely gift is a noun and give is the verb? Or are you from across the pond?
Del

WillS

Not sure about using it for handles etc, and it somewhat depends on which species of Ironwood you have, but what I can tell you is that most Ironwood makes exceptional self bows. Jake Fenwick from the Canadian Warbow Society made a lovely 110# Ironwood (hop hornbeam) self bow, and it performs very well I hear.

Obviously the length you have makes that point rather moot, but at least you'll be using "proper bow wood" if you do decide to use it!

flatfoot

WillS - Thanks. Only have the small pieces as described. No idea of species and barely a handle length unfortunately. Still trying to decide on a cut to take best advantage of the heart/sapwood contrast for that. Have oiled a small piece of endcut and it looks very attractive. Will post some pics if it turns out well.

D

Deleted member 7654

Sounds like some confusion here?
Names like "ironwood" mean different things in different countries. The whole naming of species is fraught with problems.
If it is attractive, then it's probably not Hornbeam of any sort as that is pretty much boring white with virtually no figure.
A pic is worth a thousand words.
Del

flatfoot

Del - Here are a couple of photo`s.
I am calling it Ironwood because "that is what it says on the label" The others are waxed on the ends and so not quite so clear.
says on tab
el"

- - - Updated - - -

Del - Here are a couple of photo`s.
I am calling it Ironwood because "that is what it says on the label" The others are waxed on the ends and so not quite so clear.
says on tab
el"

Attachments

D

Deleted member 7654

Yup, very pretty, certainly not "hornbeam" or "Hop Hornbeam"
Mr Google may be more help...
Del

flatfoot

Del - Managed to track down the ex-owner. He says it is probably American Virginiana. Looked it up on the net and the bark at least looks to concur with that.