It's been a while since I shot regularly a.k.a. how to deal with confidence issues?

Tarkwin

Prince Of Dorkness
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
In the past I have shot regularly, and intend to so again. I have a bugbear (3d8+3 AC17). When things are going well, I am fine, when things are not, I go into a tailspin, comparing myself to others, my progress to theirs, my scores to theirs and then end up thinking myself into the 'buying points' fallacy. And eventually end up putting down my bow.

Many of you will have faced downturns in form, how do you deal with this? How do you get out of it? Have you ever seen this in others and been able to turn them around?

T.

Flying Whale

Biggest thing is to become comfortable with yourself and how you are shooting. This does not mean you have to be shooting like a god. It does n ot eman you have to always shoot a PB. It means cutting yourself the slack to accept that a shot may not have gone in the 10, 9, ...6? However if the shot felt OK compared to where you are in your progression, then it is a good result.

Saw someone else on a US web site make the comment about people who always say "I will never make ....." (insert your own target that keeps eluding you). However you do in any one tournament.... will the sun still come up tomorrow? If the answer to that is yes, then it can't be so bad. Whether you make the target today or tomorrow the sun will come up. Work on your technique and become comfortable in your skin. Then you will make the next small step... and the next.

... and if anyone reads this who knows me they will laugh as I am about the worst at following the advice. However I am working on it, and it is working slowly.

In the end, though make sure you are enjoying it.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Hi Steve,I have downturns... every round.
The one thing that is certain to bring me back to a happy state again is "knowing" what to work on.Having a means to get out of the pit, is like having a ladder to reach the top; all I have to do is use it.
The worst thing is being unable to work out what you are doing wrong. I find there is a lot of good advice to be had on here from archers who have never seen me shoot. Far better than poor advice from those who have.

backinblack

Not much to offer here apart from sympathy and empathy. I have got through the form slump, but my confidence is still shot to pieces...

As you have not shot for a while, why not treat this as a new start and reinvent yourself as the archer that you want to be including disciplining yourself to avoid the mental pitfalls you feel you have been subject to in the past?

All the best with it.
Backinblack

Raven's_Eye

Ironman
3d8+3 AC17
What Level ranger are you to do this? Sorry but does sound like D&D speak.

Back to the point though, since you've been away I'm assuming your not shooting as well as you were when you were shooting before. This would be reasonably natural, and panicking when you've had a bad end happens, done it myself a few times and have suffered in scoring because of it. The main way to counter this is to take a deep breath and relax, and if possible ignore the score board, and not compare yourself to someone else.
In my opinion archery is a very mental sport, you have to concentrate and focus on what your doing, but not think about it. Once you start thinking distractions/doubts/worries creep in and effect your shooting, which gets you more worried/frustrated/panicky and can end up spiralling down.
Few bits of advice I can give are:
1) Have a song/tune going on in your head. It'll help you shoot to the same rythem and help you focus on your shooting, whilst shutting your thinking down.
2) Never give up on a shoot. Just because you've started doing badly, don't pack up and give up. shoot through it.
3) Don't dwell on the last arrow, its left the bow its gone, can't do anything about it. Learn from it if you can, but otherwise forget it and concentrate on the next one.

G

GuardianAngel

This is something I know only too well, both past and present. Unfortunately I seem to live my archery life on a knife edge. Its either great or rubbish, no in between!

Last year I had my best year ever with compound, but for some reason, had a couple of silly wobbles that have knocked me for six and I am still suffering with a rock bottom confidence level 6 months on.

I have always come out of it, partly due to hammering away at the problem (bit of OCD help here!), or taking a direction change. This year I have cancelled all of my target shoots and will be taking up field. Its something I **ENJOY** (this is the key word!) having done it a few times over the winter months. Target has become too much of a grind and obsession that has frankly done me in. But I intend on coming back to it once I have refreshed.

So my advice:

1) Don't give up. I have given up on shoots in the past and did so last year, despite telling myself I would never do that again. I had lost the plot and packed up and walked away thinking that was it for me for good. I wish I hadn't.

2) Change something. In the past I had this with recurve. I almost gave up, so shot bare bow for 6 months. It was great, zero pressure.

3) Book a coaching session if possible with a top level archer. I have booked a session with Liam again at Perris. In the past this has given me much needed motivation and direction.

4) Dont treat it like a job, its just a bl00dy hobby!

Tarkwin

Prince Of Dorkness
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
I am very tempted to do (one of) the beginners courses my club will be running this spring/summer. Start again with a basic bow, with the basics and not feel intimidated by those around me.

We'll see.

Flying Whale

I am very tempted to do (one of) the beginners courses my club will be running this spring/summer. Start again with a basic bow, with the basics and not feel intimidated by those around me.

We'll see.
Why would you though? A week or so and you would be bored by it.

If you want to spend some time with a basic bow, then just do it. Talk to the club, and I am sure they will let you use a basic bow. Not sure why you would feel intimidated by those around you.? Once you have picked up a basic club bow you have made a statement. "I am reducing things to basics and am going to enjoy shooting for a while". You will probably surprise yourself and actually shoot pretty well with a "basic" bow. If anything it will be other around you that will feel intimidated. After that you can pick up your own "proper" bow and struggle like the rest of us!

Seriously though I am not sure you will get anything out of a beginners course. Much better to work out the people you can shoot with as a friend and an equal. Whether you are scoring the same or not does not mean you are equals, people you enjoy shooting with and who won't judge you are your friends and equals.

Anyway, they will more likely be worrying about themselves than judging you...

Stop procrastinating. Get out there and find some people to shoot with.

dogman2

Not got much archery experience, but have done other stuff in competition, just break down your own performance in stages, & you can come up with a reason for lack of performance.

Rob

Yellowjedi

In the White
Supporter
Hi - I haven't been on here for ages as I've been out injured. I now want to get back shooting but keep talking myself out of it.

My confidence has gone on every level. I was only a newbie before - shooting for just over 1 year - so don't have much experience to fall back on. I feel like I'll have to start again from scratch so have been thinking about going back to a beginners class. Particularly as I will have to join a new club - my old one moved and I can no longer get to the sessions.

I've had a frozen shoulder/impingment and bursitis which required over a six month period massage, acupuncture, ultrasound, steriod injections and then finally a hydration arthroscopy (pumping a sac full of saline to force the joint apart). It was all worth it as I can now move my arm! I'm just terrified now of it coming back, coming back in the other shoulder, and/or of not being able to shoot. You name it - I've used it as an excuse not to try.

I really want to shoot again but just can't get past this. Anyone out there come back from something similar? Thanks :gloomy:

napolienne

Fonz Awardee

We'll see.
Come play at Oxford. I still owe you coaching sessions. Also, we do a good line in jelly bow clouts. And BBQ. Summer is coming!

backinblack

Hi Tarkwin,

I would underline everything that Guardian Angel has said above. First base is to get back to enjoying shooting in some form. I went through shooting a club bow and did it barebow for a while and found that it put the enjoyment back into the sport for me - I was shooting arrows, could focus on my technique and the aiming errors were big enough for me to not beat myself up about getting the technique wrong. If it helps, pick something you've never done before: field archery, barebow, horsebow or whatever but get in there and get shooting and have fun.

I am lucky in some ways in that I have never been too bothered about what other people do and so am not intimidated by them - I am in archery for improving myself. In all honesty, and as Flying Whale intimates, I feel that being around good archers who can perhaps act as role models is more likely to make you haul yourself up to their level than being around beginners who perhaps look up to you.

Best regards,
Backinblack

Neo

Sports are like riding a bike. I jumped back on a boat after 5 years away from sailing and still managed a reasonable finish. You may be rusty but just have a go and see what happens. Possibly some one to one sessions with a coach, but I wouldnt do a beginners course again!