knife recommendations?

jinky

Can't remember the last time I actually hit a target so don't really need one.I've ground down an old sheathy should I ever need one though.

deadb0y

I'd agree with others.. A knife isn't really the right tools to get an arrow out of wood.. A flat head screw driver or slightly blunt 8mm wood chisel!

AndyW

There's some great value knives on there.
I don't need any more but I'm still tempted...
Tell me about it - I was blissfully unaware of the website, now I can't stay off it. That and greenmanbushcraft. I'm a middle aged chemist not a prepper dammit. I don't need to defend against the zombie apocalypse - I just want to, we may get a chav/scrote apocalypse in our street but not zombies (Ew - hordes of sport gear wearing teens with ill fitting trousers). Too much kak I want but have no use for like sexier knives, bug out bags, fire starters, para cord - probably a good job I spend my money on archery stuff.
Cheers Gold Flinger.

Kernowlad

Supporter
Supporter
Tell me about it - I was blissfully unaware of the website, now I can't stay off it. That and greenmanbushcraft. I'm a middle aged chemist not a prepper dammit. I don't need to defend against the zombie apocalypse - I just want to, we may get a chav/scrote apocalypse in our street but not zombies (Ew - hordes of sport gear wearing teens with ill fitting trousers). Too much kak I want but have no use for like sexier knives, bug out bags, fire starters, para cord - probably a good job I spend my money on archery stuff.
Cheers Gold Flinger.
I think we're cut from a similar cloth.
Now I'm am a voluntary Coastguard. But one that likes good kit - our clothing is really good (top end Keela) but our torches are woeful. So I have really powerful Fenix TK20R (1000 lumens) and a "reactive" Petzl Nao (it automatically adjusts the light - it's mainly for night trail runs) which is brilliant.
But... Fenix has just released a 5100 lumen (!!!) mega torch that I would be able to use to set fire to nearby foliage. Do I need it? Not really. Do I want it? YES!

That slight kit freakness has transferred to archery a bit - an ?800 bow, ?230 arrows, ?200 release, etc is probably a bit OTT but I just...ermmm...LIKE it!

Luckily it's not as bad an MTBing - when doing that very regularly I was wearing through kit at an alarming rate - what lasts longer? Better kit. And that costs more. So I now have a rarely used but completely lovely/OTT beast that cost me silly money (Built it from scratch) but is probably worth depressingly little. However the good kit on it does run faultlessly now it's on light duties.

Then there's the cars - a whole World of kit freak wallet pain but also pleasure.

We've just bought a house and really stretched ourselves by blowing all our savings (and more...anyone lend me a tenner?!) so we have a good period of having to well and truly abstain... I muussssst resisssst....

AndyW

Yes, the only thing that stopped me buying one of those torches was that the little one would burn her cats corneas out if not her own. Bows - oops, just bought number five; an Apex 7 and a week later seriously considering number 6 and maybe a Xbow set up my mates selling. Arrows - six sets so far. Then storage boxes full of sights, rests, fletching jigs, lord knows how but 4 portable bow presses and a full size one, vanes, points, various bits etc. It's just stupid. A week on ebay is seriously needed but I'd only buy more stuff.
Weirdly, I guess most archers are the same. Years of accumulated shiny things. ?90 last week buying bits to make a "better" cable guard / slide set up as well as the Apex - it's just sad.

Oh and P.S. Nah. just go on ahead and buy it whatever it is - you'll feel better.

Gold Flinger

Fonz Awardee
There's something about knives - maybe the fact that they're the most basic tool - that fascinates me in a way that I can't quite get my head around... I can sit and fiddle with a good quality knife for hours... Axes have a similar primitive attraction. I put it down to the fact that if you have a knife (or an axe) you can make other tools, make shelter, trap/kill/collect food and prepare it...
Sure, you can't beat having the "right tool for the job", but a knife is the "right tool" for far more jobs than anything else...

Single-bladed folders seem to be my No.1 fetish, I have a beautiful B?ker Gordito (pictured) which lives in my pocket for work duties but it's a locking blade, so not legal for carrying in public.

If I'm out and about, I carry a Buck Canoe - a proper old-school traditional pattern slip-joint... Rosewood and brass knives always have a place in my heart since my first penknife - a Buck 110 copy I had as a child.

I have an Ontario Knife Co. RAT for woodland/garden duties at home - big, strong and lethally sharp - or a CRKT Pilar, a recent addition that I absolutely love... Proper chunky 4mm blade and a beautiful Jesper Voxnaes design.

I wouldn't use any for digging arrows out though, I'll keep my 5 quid Hultafors chisel knife for that!

Gold Flinger

Fonz Awardee
There's something about knives - maybe the fact that they're the most basic tool - that fascinates me in a way that I can't quite get my head around... I can sit and fiddle with a good quality knife for hours... Axes have a similar primitive attraction. I put it down to the fact that if you have a knife (or an axe) you can make other tools, make shelter, trap/kill/collect food and prepare it...
Sure, you can't beat having the "right tool for the job", but a knife is the "right tool" for far more jobs than anything else...

Single-bladed folders seem to be my No.1 fetish, I have a beautiful B?ker Gordito (pictured) which lives in my pocket for work duties but it's a locking blade, so not legal for carrying in public.

If I'm out and about, I carry a Buck Canoe - a proper old-school traditional pattern slip-joint... Rosewood and brass knives always have a place in my heart since my first penknife - a Buck 110 copy I had as a child.

I have an Ontario Knife Co. RAT for woodland/garden duties at home - big, strong and lethally sharp - or a CRKT Pilar, a recent addition that I absolutely love... Proper chunky 4mm blade and a beautiful Jesper Voxnaes design.

I wouldn't use any for digging arrows out though, I'll keep my 5 quid Hultafors chisel knife for that!

AndyW

That's nice. I've got a Boker but not that nice, a Helle Fjelkniven which I just keep sharp, a couple of cheapish full tangs for piddling about with, Korean war era bayonet and then the Mora high C bushcraft and chisel knives for shoots and a Leatherman rebar for contingency - pliers, filing etc. Have to say the Moras are favourite because at the price I'm more than willing to use them.

Gold Flinger

Fonz Awardee
I like Moras too, have a couple of Companions in my gardening trug. The fluro orange one is great, even I can't lose that one! :D

Kernowlad

Supporter
Supporter

Just had a quick look at those and they look great then I stumbled on a plastic handled folder for...?1149.95!!!!!!!

https://www.heinnie.com/rockstead-shin-zdp

EDIT - actually there's one for over two grand!!

Gold Flinger

Fonz Awardee
It's absolutely bonkers what people will pay for a knife - the Gordito is the most expensive I own, but it's a beautifully put-together thing and it lives in my pocket all day every day at work where I use it 3 or 4 times a day...

I don't 'do' jewellery, so I figured it's nice to have blingy trinkets that I enjoy using... But I guess it's like watches - people will pay daft money for something even though a 10 quid casio does exactly the same job. The CRKT Pilar I recently bought is a good example of a proper quality knife for not too much money, but I guess a lot of people would baulk at spending ?40 on a pocket knife...

Gold Flinger

Fonz Awardee
It's absolutely bonkers what people will pay for a knife - the Gordito is the most expensive I own, but it's a beautifully put-together thing and it lives in my pocket all day every day at work where I use it 3 or 4 times a day...

I don't 'do' jewellery, so I figured it's nice to have blingy trinkets that I enjoy using... But I guess it's like watches - people will pay daft money for something even though a 10 quid casio does exactly the same job. The CRKT Pilar I recently bought is a good example of a proper quality knife for not too much money, but I guess a lot of people would baulk at spending ?40 on a pocket knife...

Corax67

I am with you on the knife thing Gold Flinger, there is something about collecting and using good tools.

I have a fair collection gathered over the years - some as a kid when we were allowed things like my Ibberson folding knives every week at scouts or sheath knives even. If you saw us as kids fishing in the holidays you would think we were an invasion force with the blades & catapults & airguns we had dotted between us.

A pair for rock climbing in my late teens that were both C.R.K.T - this got me hooked on Columbia River and when I moved to Brecon a number of emporiums benefitted from my hard earned as I gathered in lock knives of all descriptions and sizes with open or closed frames plus 'assisted' openers and straight blades such as my C.R.K.T k.i.s.s Tanto boot knife which is an amazing blade.

My daily workhorse is a Spyderco chunky locky that takes and keeps an edge like a dream - all you need from a work knife.

My pride & joy is a forestry axe I found abused in a car boot sale for ?2, handle split and blade covered in surface rust plus dents in the blade where someone had been wire cutting wth it! It took months of work to file and hone and whet the blade to a useable contour once more. Further hours of polishing with mops, pastes and rags to give me back it's mirror finish. Hand cutting my handle from a neighbours seasoned timber stock was the icing on the cake. Now my wife understands what I do in odd moments in the workshop and sees there is method in my madness and a genuine beauty in a good blade.

It is such a pity knives have been demonised due the behaviour of a few but that's the way of this weird little planet we spin on.

Karl

vivilanco

I am with you on the knife thing Gold Flinger, there is something about collecting and using good tools.
My pride & joy is a forestry axe I found abused in a car boot sale for ?2, handle split and blade covered in surface rust plus dents in the blade where someone had been wire cutting wth it! It took months of work to file and hone and whet the blade to a useable contour once more. Further hours of polishing with mops, pastes and rags to give me back it's mirror finish. Hand cutting my handle from a neighbours seasoned timber stock was the icing on the cake.
Karl, I wont lie, I'd like to see a picture of the finished product if it were possible? I'm a big fan of forging and maker channels on Youtube - I recently saw one where a guy picked up a broken Japanese nakiri chef blade in a carboot. He lovingly restored it over time and it's stunning. I appreciate good craft but I also like to see it when people put effort into the things they appreciate (it's potentially why I am subscribed to Del's YouTube channel even though I'm a recurve man).