knife recommendations?

Corax67

Karl, I wont lie, I'd like to see a picture of the finished product if it were possible? I'm a big fan of forging and maker channels on Youtube - I recently saw one where a guy picked up a broken Japanese nakiri chef blade in a carboot. He lovingly restored it over time and it's stunning. I appreciate good craft but I also like to see it when people put effort into the things they appreciate (it's potentially why I am subscribed to Del's YouTube channel even though I'm a recurve man).

It won't be for a while - all the sharp stuff like that is safely packed away in the attic from the inquisitive fingers of our toddler :)

There are some amazing knife makers on Instagram too such as David Lisch, look him up he is awesome.

Karl

Kernowlad

Supporter
Supporter
My degree is in Materials Engineering so I love anything crafted from high quality metal, especially steel.
Of my small collection, it's the S30V steel blade on my Leatherman Charge TTi that keeps an edge for the longest and I'm always sharpening with my Spyderco Sharpmaker! Not enough knives use S30V IMO.

Someone mentioned watches too... while definitely no high end collector, I've got a nice automatic diver Seiko, a good Suunto GPS watch and several G-Shocks of varying degrees of cost. I'd love a Tudor North Flag or Omega Planet Ocean but well over ?2k for a watch is just selfish.

AndyW

Ha, + 1 on the Seiko Automatic Diver. Hasn't left my wrist for 10+ years. It doesn't exactly get thoroughly tested at bath depth but it's just nice seeing 200m.
I back pedaled on a dreadnought a few years ago after being shown the error of my ways by the good lady. I knew I shouldn't have listened. Just search for the PRS dreadnought.

Kernowlad

Supporter
Supporter
Ha, + 1 on the Seiko Automatic Diver. Hasn't left my wrist for 10+ years. It doesn't exactly get thoroughly tested at bath depth but it's just nice seeing 200m.
I back pedaled on a dreadnought a few years ago after being shown the error of my ways by the good lady. I knew I shouldn't have listened. Just search for the PRS dreadnought.
That PRS looks serious; can't see a price but presume it's a lot?!
Mine is a bit too "smart" for ocean use but I have taken it surfing and it was fine; just needed a good rinse afterwards.
I tend to use my G Shocks - my digital one was an absolute steal - it was ?150++, I spotted it on Amazon, clearly wrongly priced from Germany at ?12. Bought it, expected doom, got a very good, new and genuine belter of a solar atomic surfers tide watch!! My G Shock "Giez" was also ?90 - seen it many times for over ?200.

I did "track" a surf on my Suunto Ambit3 peak and it turns out I paddles over 1.5 miles on that surf!

Swatch (spit spit) is doing a decent range of automatics for about ?150 which are a bit tempting. Something about a proper sweeping seconds hand and a lack of battery that just pulls the right strings for me.

Corax67

Aaah watches - another owner of a Seiko Auto Diver (1992 orange dial) from the days when I spent a lot of time on a waterski, Seiko titanium dress watch from the days I drove a desk and had to shmooze in a suit.

Work wise is tough and functional - a Timex expedition indiglo chrono that takes a battering and just keeps on running.

Karl

AndyW

Not bad when it first came out as an unknown - maybe ?600. Now though????? ?2K+, if you find one,he only made 200. You can get the reissue (PRS - 21?) for ?4 - 600. Regrets eh.
I couldn't make myself buy a swatch - just ew! Tell a lie I'd buy one just after I bought a fitbit - pah.

Kernowlad

Supporter
Supporter
You probably know this but ETA makes most automatic movements and is a Swatch company - some pretty expensive watches have ETA movements! That's something I like about Seiko - their own movements even in relatively sensibly priced watches.
But even they get silly at the Grand Seiko end - seen some for over ?10k. Madness.

piscafile

This is my archery knife. A slightly modified British army jungle knife. It's one of the few things that came out of the quarter masters store that was any good. Quarter inch thick single lump of carbon steel that keeps a really good edge and can take a lot of abuse.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Kernowlad

Supporter
Supporter
I recently got a Finland made Enzo PK70 in carbon made of my favourite steel, S30V; it?s legal carry and so so handy. I?ve sharpened it to a silly edge so it just slices through almost anything.

piscafile

I recently got a Finland made Enzo PK70 in carbon made of my favourite steel, S30V; it?s legal carry and so so handy. I?ve sharpened it to a silly edge so it just slices through almost anything.
They do say, a sharp knife is a safe knife.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Kernowlad

Supporter
Supporter
Damascus steel? Looks useful.

I did a Materials Engineering degree so am particularly nerdy about steel. My Leatherman Charge TTi and my Enzo are both S30V.

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
Damascus steel folding knife, tanto point, bone and brass fittings. The maker is Perkin.
I'm pretty sure they're not the highest quality blades, but then I don't want to spend hundreds on a pocket knife...

Riceburner

I tend to carry a Victorinox Swiss Champ - mainly because I find it useful for everything else!!

Choice of pile can help with wood hits - I find Top Hat field points don't go in very far and are thus relatively easy to wiggle out.

4d4m

I have a couple of Mora Companions. A standard one and a heavy duty 3mm thick blade. The latter is for field where it's more likely to have to dig a pile out of a tree root. Also a Leatherman Wave for its pliers and screwdrivers etc.

Kernowlad

Supporter
Supporter
Well I only went and bloody lost my lovely Enzo PK70. 😫

So did some research and just had an S90V steel (even better than S30V) blade Manly Wasp delivered for a rather astonishing £52 all in; knives made of this steel are usually well over £100!

So half annoyed, half chuffed!!

trevor.m

I've seen people recommend a flat head screwdriver over a knife, they're a bit thicker and sturdier, and less chance of slipping and slicing a finger as you wiggle it about.

I don't carry anything myself at the moment*, but having used knives and screwdrivers on the target bosses and frames I tend to prefer the screwdriver.

I did carry a pen knife of which I used the bottle opener to get in besides the arrow and open the hole a bit, except I'm pretty sure my nearly two year old daughter pick-pocketed me and swapped my pen knife for her dummy.
i've used a long eye bolt sharpened to a wedge and the eye is grate for twisting or pulling it out if it gets stuck

Kernowlad

Supporter
Supporter
Oh my; I lost my Manly Wasp... it was clipped into in my trousers, it disappeared.

So I decided that was it; no more pocket knives for me. A month or so later I was really missing my handy little tool; my Leathermans lock so aren’t UK legal carry (fine in camping but not otherwise.). After much mulling I decided to get another Wasp but this time it would stay firmly attached to me via a lanyard. Took a bit of faffing but I clip it to a belt loop and it cannot be lost!

A couple of weeks later while doing a Click n Collect at Tesco in our barely used VW Camper and the original just appeared; clipped into the inside of the driver seat cover!!! So now I have two!

I’m going to hang onto both though; they are such useful things and quite possibly the sharpest knife you can buy, that I might eventually give one to my son.