Level 1 Coaching Course?

davedownsouth

I have been doing archery for two years now and am still really enjoying it. I am thinking about doing the Level 1 Coaching course so that I can more confidently help out at the club I am at, but was wondering what people who have done it thought of it?

Munsterman

It is quite basic but you have to start somewhere. Most people find it easy but I have seen a very experienced former international struggle with it.

davedownsouth

Basic is what I am after. I am particularly interested in a course which will Help me to spot when someone is shooting with a technique which is likely to cause them an injury. I notice quite a few new timers pick up a shoulder strain after a few months, possibly just because they do not warm up enough, but maybe because they are not doing it properly? Is spotting something like this just gained from experience, or would this corse help me?

Aleatorian

The level 1 is very basic and isn't aimed at spotting issues like this, it's intent is to assist higher level coaches and run beginners courses.

Shoulder issues in newbies tend to arise from overbowing or not setting the shoulder before the draw. Most newbie techniques tend to start drawing the bow from below shoulder level which pushes the shoulder upwards and out of the socket rather than settling into the socket.
Rather then bringing the bow to shoulder level and drawing slightly down onto the shoulder.

Also the overbowing causes the shoulder to rise as the necessary musculature hasn't developed enough to handle what is being asked of it.

For openness: I have let my level 1 lapse, due to wanting to get what I want out of archery

Aleatorian

I wasn't aware that it had an expiry date. How long before it lapses, and do you have to do the whole thing again?
From completion, you get 3 years before you have to renew. Now I'm not sure of the renewal process as I've not gone through it and I'm fairly sure you don't have to do the full course again.

mbaker74

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Renewal is essentially just a repeat DBS ( the child protection /background check), you don't have to redo the course, do any tests etc...

pipeski

Level 1 used to be a qualification that enabled you to assist with a beginner's course or other coaching. But in practice many Level 1s run beginner's courses alone, and that's tolerated by AGB, as there just aren't enough L2s and above to meet demand in a lot of places, so the L1 qualification was adapted a bit for that reason.

What you'll learn: mostly, how to coach the basic 'T-Draw', broken down into steps. The course covers other bits and pieces: range safety, warmups/cooldowns, equipment selection. Not much else.

What you won't learn: how to coach beyond the beginner's course, observation skills and how to correct faults, equipment maintenance, basic anatomy and biomechanics, coaching posture and alignment. All of that comes in at Level 2.

Of course, you can assist with coaching within a club without a qualification, under the supervision of a L2 coach or above. That's how mentoring is done for L1 candidates (I'm mentoring someone at the moment).

I'd chat with other coaches in your club to find out if they could use the help of another L1 in running courses.

sURFMONKEY73

Level 1 used to be a qualification that enabled you to assist with a beginner's course or other coaching. But in practice many Level 1s run beginner's courses alone, and that's tolerated by AGB, as there just aren't enough L2s and above to meet demand in a lot of places, so the L1 qualification was adapted a bit for that reason.

What you'll learn: mostly, how to coach the basic 'T-Draw', broken down into steps. The course covers other bits and pieces: range safety, warmups/cooldowns, equipment selection. Not much else.

What you won't learn: how to coach beyond the beginner's course, observation skills and how to correct faults, equipment maintenance, basic anatomy and biomechanics, coaching posture and alignment. All of that comes in at Level 2.

Of course, you can assist with coaching within a club without a qualification, under the supervision of a L2 coach or above. That's how mentoring is done for L1 candidates (I'm mentoring someone at the moment).

I'd chat with other coaches in your club to find out if they could use the help of another L1 in running courses.
Currently on the L1 course and it is intended to get a complete novice onto the shooting line safely. Firmly aimed at Have-A-Go and Beginners courses. It does cover range layout though and basic technique. You will need a DBS check and to complete a Child Protection in Sport Course, there's a 3 hrs online one you can do.
You also need 12 hrs of practice whilst being observed by a L1 or better coach and 3 hours of mentoring before the final practical assessment.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 7654

... Most newbie techniques tend to start drawing the bow from below shoulder level ...
Yes and they would be right...
Nothing wrong with draw starting from down by your groin.
The coaching of one "right" way really winds me up.
If anyone tried to draw a heavy bow with the T draw they would hurt themselves, and yes, heavy bows are as much part of archery as modern target archery.
IMO the concept of a T draw is bonkers.
Stand with your bow arm raised square to the target line, now try and reach the string without twisting your back. The right hand can barely reach past the left shoulder, so you need to start the draw form low or twist your back.
Now which is more likely to cause injury bearing in mind the low forces on the early draw?
Del

symondavis

The course itself is very basic and mostly common sense. If you can get a person new to the sport who?s never shot before to the line with equipment, have clear and precise communication and demonstrated safety at all times then you?ll fly through it.
You?ll also be required to show that you have a range setup correctly prior to shooting, like putting a boss out, pegging down the boss, ground quiver placement etc.

After there is three years of earning CPD points is silly easy, you could run club based workshops on setup, maintenance, form, arrows, tuning etc. for the members, just remember to get it signed off by the club Sec or Chair. Or to get another three year extension you can go into Lv2, which will start the clock again once you pass.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Stand with your bow arm raised square to the target line, now try and reach the string without twisting your back. The right hand can barely reach past the left shoulder, so you need to start the draw form low or twist your back.
Now which is more likely to cause injury bearing in mind the low forces on the early draw?
Del, this starts off with a correct assumption about not being able to reach the string without twisting. But as the bow arm and string arm are both rising together, the draw arm ends up drawing the string almost without being aware. It is only a couple of inches and is easy to replicate.
I think drawing a heavy bow with a T draw is going to be difficult as it means the draw is started without " taking a run at it". Watching some really heavy bows being drawn, it does seem the archer works himself up first, like weightlifters; then goes for it at pace. Like a run up for high jump. The T draw is a sort of standing jump equivalent. I feel that it works well enough with lighter bows; all the best Olympic archers draw that way. The bow shoulder is always in a solid position before the real tension comes on.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Del, this starts off with a correct assumption about not being able to reach the string without twisting. But as the bow arm and string arm are both rising together, the draw arm ends up drawing the string almost without being aware. It is only a couple of inches and is easy to replicate.
I think drawing a heavy bow with a T draw is going to be difficult as it means the draw is started without " taking a run at it". Watching some really heavy bows being drawn, it does seem the archer works himself up first, like weightlifters; then goes for it at pace. Like a run up for high jump. The T draw is a sort of standing jump equivalent. I feel that it works well enough with lighter bows; all the best Olympic archers draw that way. The bow shoulder is always in a solid position before the real tension comes on.

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
From completion, you get 3 years before you have to renew. Now I'm not sure of the renewal process as I've not gone through it and I'm fairly sure you don't have to do the full course again.
The renewal process (as with all these things) changes over time. Back a few decades, it was more or less just a rubber stamp from the CCO "yes this person is actively coaching". Then it moved over (quite abruptly) to having to provide evidence, workbooks, courses and such. Probably to a degree which was not appropriate for L1/L2 equivalents whose primary task was running an annual beginner's course...
So far as I can tell it's oscillated a bit between stricter and looser over the past 20 years, though some of that may be in the application of the rules, rather than in what is prescribed in them. Definitions of what counts as CPD have also evolved over that time.

My advice to anyone setting out in coaching would be: document what you do - keep a journal if nothing else. If it looks like you're not doing much, then maybe you need to think about that... And I would record the lot, even participation in a discussion like this.

Bertybobby

Just doing my renewal now. DBS plus submit a form to the CCO with a diary of coaching and also with a sponsor who can witness you've done what you've put on the form.

CCO needs to approve it and send to AGB.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk