Limb contruction for Traditional?

wully

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
I've just been reading the AGB /WA rule book to try and find if wood core limbs are mandatory but cant find any mention of it?

I 'thought' they had to be wood core but can't find a reference to this -have I missed it or has it been brought up to date?

English Bowman

I've never heard anything about wood core limbs for the Trad category. The closest I've heard is all wood riser for the WA Instinctive style.

wully

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
I've never heard anything about wood core limbs for the Trad category. The closest I've heard is all wood riser for the WA Instinctive style.
The description of that rule isn’t very precise- it says you are allowed other materials but doesn’t accurately specify quantities,ares or volumes?

wully

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
From the Rules.. I have no idea what this bit in bold means - cant find any mention of limb construction so I guess you can make them from what you like?

A bow of any type, which complies with the common meaning of the word bow as used in target archery, consisting of a handle/riser and grip (no shoot-through type) and two flexible limbs each ending in a tip with a string nock. The riser is produced of a natural or resin based material (e.g.wood, bamboo, horn, cloth, fibreglass, and a portion of the riser may include carbon/graphite or metal). The riser must be of laminated construction or one piece of wood. The bow may be of a take-down type and may incorporate factory installed metal fittings in the riser for limb attachment, sight mount inserts, cushion plunger insert and stabilizer bushings only. The bow may include a single adjustable limb for tiller adjustment only, but may not have adjustable limb pockets for bow weight adjustment. The riser may include thin synthetic laminates up to 6 mm in width to use for limb/pocket protection for structural use within the riser, but no more than one quarter of the riser's construction may be produced of metal or synthetic material. The riser must contain some wood or bamboo. For non-takedown bows, limb laminates of any material that fade into the riser section are permitted. The bow is braced for use by a single string attached directly between the two string nocks, and in operation is held in one hand by its handle (grip) while the fingers of the other hand draw and release the string.
The bow as described above shall be bare, except for an arrow rest as described in 22.4.3. and free from protrusions, sights or sight marks, marks or blemishes or laminated pieces (within the bow window area) which could be of use in aiming. Weights inside the bow riser are permitted if installed during the manufacturing process of the bow and not post construction. Any such weights shall be completely invisible on the exterior of the riser and be covered by laminates applied during the initial construction with no visible holes, plugged holes, covers or caps with the exception of the original manufacturer's inlay or insert logo.

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
This is really talking about allowed riser materials and construction. What the bold section is saying is that the limbs are allowed to be spliced into the riser and that splicing, of whatever limb material, doesn't contribute to the legality or illegally of the riser construction and material.

Last edited:

English Bowman

Also that's WA Instinctive rules, which isn't the same as AGB Traditional rules
My simplified way of looking at it is;
WA Instinctive = Modern recurve with a wooden riser and any arrows
AGB Traditional = Modern recurve with any riser and wooden arrows

There's a lot more to it than that, but that's the basics covered. There are some of us who think that AGB trad should fall into line with WA instinctive as the rest of the rules are the same, but that's another thread.

wully

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Its Confusing (for me) the only thing I’m sure of is the riser needs to be mostly wood..

English Bowman

Its Confusing (for me) the only thing I’m sure of is the riser needs to be mostly wood..
Not for AGB Trad. AGB Traditional rules allow for any riser as long as it fits through the 12.2 cm ring. So you can use almost any barebow riser, with any limbs, as long as you don't have a sight, stabilisation or button on the bow, and the arrows are made of wood with feather fletchings.

Bows that have been used to win the AGB All British Field Championships include the Hoyt Gold Medallist and the Beradini Nilo, both with Border limbs fitted. (I think that the Bernadini had Hex 6H limbs.) Both risers are metal risers, the Hoyt had been modified to have extra weight below the handle, the Bernadini had the barebow weights fitted.

Don't confuse AGB Trad with WA Instinctive.