Limb dampers

wully

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
I sent off for some cheapo limb dampers which arrived with 2 stick on dampers and 2 little blobby crosses and no instructions about what to do with the little blobby crosses..

Does anyone have any (polite.....) suggestions for what to do with them?

AndyW

Can only speak for compound but I place mine on the belly side of the limbs as far towards the cam as i can without any fouling on cables etc.
For recurve i would imagine it would be different as you wouldn't want them too far towards the tips.
The little blobby crosses i guess could be string dampers which are generally placed in a similar position to speed buttons. I personally don't use these as I've never seen the point.

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Like this?

41ew8F7EO5L.jpg

They'll be string dampers. You usually thread them onto your string using a split pin (cotter pin) like a sewing needle through the string loop.

Sinbad

Sounds like the type you put inside the string, so split it 50 50 and when the string is tight, they will stay there.

D

Deleted member 7654

IMO if it needs damping then something is wrong with the design, the string or the arrows.
That's the bonkersness of modern archery equipment... it's a mad race for flatter and flatter trajectories, with lighter and lighter arrows... and then when things get a tad harsh people start using fat strings, dampers, stabilisers... anvil on a stick etc.
Del

KidCurry

AIUK Saviour
I sent off for some cheapo limb dampers which arrived with 2 stick on dampers and 2 little blobby crosses and no instructions about what to do with the little blobby crosses..
Does anyone have any (polite.....) suggestions for what to do with them?
Don't fit them until you have tried the bow limb dampers first. The limb dampers will probably do most of the work.

AndyW

I pressed the little icon and I get a load of text and various pictures including a helicopter and a lady showing her pants.
On the whole an improvement on string dampeners.

AndyW

IMO if it needs damping then something is wrong with the design, the string or the arrows.
That's the bonkersness of modern archery equipment... it's a mad race for flatter and flatter trajectories, with lighter and lighter arrows... and then when things get a tad harsh people start using fat strings, dampers, stabilisers... anvil on a stick etc.
Del
I just think it became a thing that everyone ran with. I just put rubber crap on because it looks a bit tasty and doesn't seem to do any harm. Bit of fun.

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
I pressed the little icon and I get a load of text and various pictures including a helicopter and a lady showing her pants.
On the whole an improvement on string dampeners.
I'm put out. I just got an enlarged picture of the dampers. No helicopters or pants at all :(

As for the dampers, I've not seen them before.

Stretch

Limbsaver called something like string leeches. I have a few of those kicking around myself. In theory you thread them into your string and it makes the bow quieter. Never seen anyone put them on a target bow though.

Given that the Limbsavers rarely make any difference to the overall noise and vibration levels I’d suggest that these are likely to be about as much use as a chocolate teapot. But easy to try. Untwist your string a bit, separate into two even bundles and slide the little snot-bundle between the bundles and re-twist. The longer bits should stick out at 90 degrees to the string so they can wobble. I’d guess you put them an inch or so away from the shank serving rather than towards the centre serving but as it will make stuff all difference put them where you fancy ;)

Stretch