Limb Length

ColinL

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Hi all

I'm currently shooting a 66" recurve with a 25" riser and short limbs. Is it feasible to change to a 23" riser and use medium limbs? I understand the longer the limb the more "forgiving" the shot. Ta.

morphymick

The American
Supporter
American Shoot
AIUK Saviour
Just remember the sight window on a 23" is much shorter, so, depending on poundage you may have trouble with extreme ranges.

Mick

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
It's shorter ranges you may have bother with - when your sight is right at the top, it might appear to be above where the limb bolts in.

AJBrady

It's shorter ranges you may have bother with - when your sight is right at the top, it might appear to be above where the limb bolts in.
Exactly this. Many years ago I had a Greenhorn with this very set-up and couldn't get a sight mark at 20 yds. Apart from that it was fine.
It was very borderline, so depending on your face shape and anchor etc you may well be OK. I've recently shot a fellow club member's 23" riser Horizon with no problems at 20 yds, so its worth trying one out.

ColinL

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Thanks guys. I think I'll stick with my current set-up but go for better quality limbs.