Limb Savers

tel

Fonz Awardee
Has anyone any experience of fitting Ultra, or indeed any other, limb savers to recurve limbs? I'd appreciate any reports on performance, and advice on positioning/fitting.
Thanks

TJ Mason

Soaring
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
American Shoot
I've fitted Sims Recurve Limb Savers to my recurve. The instructions tell you to put them quite high up on the limbs so they're an inch from the string, but this makes stringing very difficult. I found it better to put them about 6 inches from the riser. They work just as well there and they don't interfere with stringing.

They're surprisingly effective. They've taken out nearly all the noise and vibration. There's a slight loss of power -- my sight marks have moved up by a tenth of an inch -- but it's worth it.

Field Archer

I?m told by the owner of a pro shop that the instructions that come with Limbsavers are for compound bows. For recurve, they should be fitted at TJ correctly said, much nearer to the riser. Close to where the laminations come together after leaving the wedge shape. I didn?t find any loss of speed at all, I shot through a chrono, both before and after fitting, if there was any speed change, it wasn?t noticeable.

I have just tried some Bow Tunerz, these are made from similar material as Limbsavers, but they don?t stick on the limb, they wrap around and fix to themselves. They seem to have similar vibration absorbing ability, but have the advantage that you can try them in various locations to find the best effect.

tel

Fonz Awardee
Thanks both - I was hoping for some positive remarks before I commited, especially as they state very clearly "You only get one stick!" I'll give them a try....

Field Archer

Barry C - 10/6/2005 5:56 PM

Does anyone else think that limbsavers can make it hard to hear the correct brace height?
If you are relying on the just the sound, as many of us do, to achieve the correct bracing height, it will make it more difficult after fitting Limbsavers. Best to set it before, then fine tune for best groups afterwards.

Barry C

Brace height doesnt really make a lot of difference for my shooting to be honest. I heard of the paper plate method for brace height but its a huge ain in the ass compared to the harmonic humm :)

wingate_52

I have seen the Sims limb savers stuck to the inside of the limbs, and also to the outside of the limbs, generally 3" (75mm) away from the riser. Inside or outside?

TJ Mason

Soaring
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
American Shoot
Inside/belly/facing you, I'd say for the mushroom-shaped ones, because that way the cap of the mushroom is pushed into the stem when the bow comes to a stop. If they were on the other side, the cap would be pulling away from the stem. Putting them on the belly should thus prolong the life of the limb savers. I doubt that it makes a difference to how well they dampen vibration.

Barry C

I noticed most of the Koreans that shoot Limbsavers put them on the side of the limb that faces the target.