Wanted Limbs for 1994 Marksman KG1 Recurve wanted

dave_t

I have a 1994 Marksman KG1 recurve bow with Les Howis limbs. I want to use the bow as it used to belong to a family member who passed away, sentimental reasons.

I can get the limbs made but they are ?340.

If anyone has second hand limbs that will fit the KG1 handle in weights of between 20 and 24lbs I will be interested to hear from you.

Many thanks

David

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Hi David, Do the limbs have to be Marksman limbs for sentimental reasons, or would others of the right weight and fit be OK?

madmac

Hi Geoff
Im afraid kg1 limbs only fit kg1 bows ie a pin and bolt on .
I have 3 sets of limbs for KG1 but one set is30lbs + and two sets are 64" (40lbs(one of them is carbon that Keith made me(kg2 style)

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Hi Madmac, yes, I had a KG1. But I don't think it would be too difficult to adapt other breeds. A pin into a limb butt that had no pin is not too difficult.
I guess it depends on how KG1 ish David wants the bow to be.

dave_t

Hello Geoff and Madmac,

No, they dont have to be KG1 limbs exactly, just so long as they fit the KG1 handle that I have. I did wonder if different limbs could be adapted to fit.

Ive added a picture of the limb fitting and the riser to show the fittings.

If I can limbs adapted to suit it would be fine.

Its not that its a KG1 that makes it sentimental, its basically because the bow belonged to my partners uncle, who used to shoot at a fairly high level in France, but passed away suddenly at a young age, so she would like to use it, or at least the riser.

Thanks for your help

David

- - - Updated - - -

Hello Geoff and Madmac,

No, they dont have to be KG1 limbs exactly, just so long as they fit the KG1 handle that I have. I did wonder if different limbs could be adapted to fit.

Its not that its a KG1 that makes it sentimental, its basically because the bow belonged to my partners uncle, who used to shoot at a fairly high level in France, but passed away suddenly at a young age, so she would like to use it, or at least the riser.

Thanks for your help

David

Attachments

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
This is what it says
Hello Geoff and Madmac,

Image: http://www.archeryinterchange.com/a...4-marksman-kg1-recurve-wanted-dsc_2012-1-.jpg Image: http://www.archeryinterchange.com/a...4-marksman-kg1-recurve-wanted-dsc_2013-1-.jpg

Thanks for your help

dave_t

Yes, I just replied to it and put up photos of the limbs and riser, but it gave me a message about needing approval from a moderator??

The limbs do not have to be KG1 limbs, they just need to fit the KG1 riser. I am happy to have some other limbs adapted to fit the riser, if that is possible.

It is not the fact that it is a KG1 that makes it sentimental. What it is, is that the bow used to belong to my partners uncle, who used to shoot at a fairly high level in France in the 1990's, but he died suddenly at a young age, so my partner is keen to use his bow, or at least use the riser.

I will try and add the photos again.

Many thanks

David

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Who did you ask about having a pair made?
Making one offs would be more expensive than modifying some that were in current production but unfinished. See if you could have some unfinished limbs and adapt the fittings to suit.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Wow! Portland limbs for a KG1. I am guessing that those limbs once belonged to a wooden riser bow called a Marksman Portland. The KG1 looked like an ally riser version of that bow, so those limbs would probably have fitted both risers.
I would guess that the fittings can be copied and fitted to other limbs; if you could get limbs before they had their own fittings installed.

dave_t

I asked someone at KG Archery, who quoted ?340. Although, these were carbon limbs, they do not have to be carbon. Standard fibreglass limbs would be fine I am sure.

Thanks

David

dave_t

Do you know where I could get unfinished limbs?

My knowledge is limited to traditional wooden bows, are Portland limbs unusual or something?

Thanks

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
I guess he was going to make a one off set. It might be worth a second try. His Impala bow has limbs that look like a possible match.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
The KG1 came out later than the Portland. The Portland was a well respected wooden riser bow and I guess Les Howis made an ally riser to keep up with the times. The KG1 riiser was probably designed to use his already well liked Portland limbs, he just needed to leave off the Portland lables.

madmac

I had thought that the distance for the pins placement was different , but i believe Keith and Les worked together for a while before splitting up ?so the limbs could be the original ones i will have a look at my oldest limbs and let you know

madmac

When i first started with archery a long long time ago in a galaxy far far away...............
i was shooting my KG1 and another was shooting a Portland 2000 (i think , looked the same ) but the placement for the location pin was different so i couldnt shoot with those limbs on my KG1. So i had assumed that the limbs would be specific to the riser.I ended up with 3 sets of limbs 2 wooden , one at 64"(40lb) 1 at 70" i think (poundage unknown at the mo)and 1 set carbon at 64"(42lb)
Just a FYI
Keith was apprenticed to Les Howis (1962-1991)when he made the KG1 so it would make sense that the original limbs were marked up Les Howis...
I will post photos
I know that Keith still has the rig to make the limbs as he made my carbon limbs but they are bespoke limbs and will probably out last me.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
I had a KG1 and Portland 2000. The portland had shoes at the end of the riser and I think the side plates of those shoes meant there was no need for a pin. Also the limbs were narrower side to side.

madmac

My apologies i have my bows mixed up it might have been the marksman Meteor . Anywho it was the same design as the the KG1 but the limbs werent interchangable between the models again sorry for duff info ........old age i presume