loft clutter - networking

Kae

The American
American Shoot
I've been clearing out the loft today, and have some stuff thats up for sale as I no longer need it (and haven't used it most of it (and no, none of its archery gear, how dare you suggest leaving archery gear in a loft :raspberry ));

100's of metres of cat5 networking cable, patch cable's, cable testers, plugs, sockets etc, 2 network start kits, 1 hub etc.

If anyones interested, i'll compile a proper list. none of its been used, some of it has been unboxed. All left over from installing networks (then some bugger brought out cheap wireless networking).

Any interest?

Kae

The American
American Shoot
Anyone?
I've got to get rid of this stuff somehow, not aloud to put it back up there :melodrama

Tarkwin

Prince Of Dorkness
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
Kae said:
Anyone?
I've got to get rid of this stuff somehow, not aloud to put it back up there :melodrama
What cable testers do you have? Please say you have one of those really good ones...that act as a network device, pick up IP addresses etc....failing that...let me know anyway..

T.

Kae

The American
American Shoot
tarkwin said:
What cable testers do you have? Please say you have one of those really good ones...that act as a network device, pick up IP addresses etc....failing that...let me know anyway..

T.
Nope, sorry tark, only got the standard ones that check the wires.
ie plug one end into one end of the wire, and the other end to the other, and little lights flash to show if it all works. 1 -8 and ground.

Cheers Rach, its not very exciting, lots of rolls of wire if that helps. lol.

Kae

The American
American Shoot
CPlater1 said:
how many ports is the hub and how much would you want for it?

Chris
As written on the box;

10/100 mbps 5 port Networking Switch (aka hub). As made by Philex Electronic, suitable for pc and mac.

Boxed Complete with hub, power supply & instructions, tested a'ok.

Price? can't remember, make me an offer :raspberry

Cheers Kae.

Flying Whale

Switches and hubs are not quite the same. They perform similar job, however switches tend to have better performance, so the fact it is a switch is probably an advantage.

Kae

The American
American Shoot
goa dan said:
Kae are there any cross over ethanet cables in there?
yes actually, strange you should ask that. 3m Purple cross wired patch leads. those the ones your after?

NeilM

I don't know if will help sell it, but Cat 5 cable can be used to make fantastic quality Hi-Fi speaker cable.

I can PM or e-mail details of 'how to'.

It takes a while to burn in, but it really is very good.

Kae

The American
American Shoot
NeilM said:
I don't know if will help sell it, but Cat 5 cable can be used to make fantastic quality Hi-Fi speaker cable.

I can PM or e-mail details of 'how to'.

It takes a while to burn in, but it really is very good.
I'd be interested in knowing that, seeing as I have at least 200 metres of the stuff :)

NeilM

It depends how much work you want to do, but in essence, the first stage is to strip back the outer sheathing of a cable so that you can join all the white cores together and all the coloured cores at each end, effectively giving you two multi core cables. You then choose polarity, it does not really matter which is positive and negative, as long as you keep it that way (some sources insist on coloured cores as +ve and white as -ve). Solder connectors on each end, using best quality solder and keeping the connections as short and neat as possible. This will give you a good quality speaker cable.

To improve things, you use two cables per side, gently twisted together.

Best option is three cables, platted and fed into a large woven outer sheath.

If you want to go completely OTT. You go to three cables per side, with the outer sheath of each cable removed, the whole thing platted (which looks pretty cool) and then the subsiquent 'snake' installed in a woven outer sheath ( available in a variety of diameters).

As I said, they can take a while to burn in, but this can be helped along by leaving a CD running on a loop while you're out at work. Neighbours? What neighbours!!