Longbow scoring for first ,second and third places.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Under some longbow shooting rules, I have been told that the winner of the competition is the person with most hits. Second place goes to the one with most golds and third goes to the highest score.
Have I got that right?
Is it possible for one archer to get all three places, by having most hits and most golds and highest score?

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
So far as I know it's just like everyone else, but the criteria are different... So you score by hits, then tie-break by golds and score shot (as opposed to: score by score shot and tie-break with golds and hits). It wouldn't make much sense the other way.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Hi Rik, heehee. Simple when you explain it like that. I was thinking that the same person could have the largest number of hits, and the most golds, and the highest score; and get all three prizes.

Raven's_Eye

Ironman
I think you've got 2nd and third the wrong way around.
1st : Most Hits
2nd : Highest Score
3rd : Most Golds.

Some shoots may do it differently, but the longbow shoots I've been to has it this way. It's interesting because often the person with the most hits, isn't the highest scorer. Also often it's happened the 2nd highest scorer doesn't get any prize at all.
A member of my club, wants to win one of the longbow shoots we go to which is a Windsor round with a score of 108 (all hits, all arrows scoring 1 point), just to see the reaction of the higher scoring archers.

Often with longbow shoots too, there aren't any sighters, so your first arrow is the first scorer. No scopes/binoculars/monoculars etc are allowed either, and often no bouncers.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Raven's_Eye, So I had the right idea but the wrong order.
If the archer with most hits gets first place, what if that archer also had highest score? Would second place go to second highest score?

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Not being able to find the BLBS rules online, are you sure you've got that right Geoff? The GNAS rules allow rounds to be decided on score, hits or golds; all of which have a different order of tie-breaks to resolve any ties.

So, if a shoot is awarded on Hits, if two archers are tied on Hits, the first tie-break is on Score, and if still tied, then Golds.
But if a shoot is awarded on Golds, the first tie-break is then Score and then Hits.
And the more traditionally won by Score, the first tiebreak is Hits, then Golds.

Of course, there's nothing saying that a TO can't have a shoot in which the winner is 'most Hits', second is 'Golds' and third is 'Score', but chances are they'd be going to "highest unawarded archer" so they don't all go to the same archer.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Hi Bimble, I am not at all sure of the correct version; hence my question.
I just remember being told that the winner isn't the archer with the highest score but the one with..... Most hits, or (most golds) possibly.
If the winner was the archer with the highest score, my guess is that I wouldn't have been told longbow scoring was different.
At the time, the person telling me about it lead me to believe that second place was decided on Golds (or score), but no mention of tie break situation. I can imagine it might be "highest unawarded archer", as you suggest.

Raven's_Eye

Ironman
Raven's_Eye, So I had the right idea but the wrong order.
If the archer with most hits gets first place, what if that archer also had highest score? Would second place go to second highest score?
Correct if the archer with the most hits also has the highest score, they are awarded 1st place for most hits, and 2nd place is awarded to the next highest score. They can't get multiple placings.