Looking for new stabiliser system - Advice needed

elthria

returning to the sport after several years out due to work / injury / kids etc and in need of a new set of stabilisers, my parents in their wisdom thinking that i would never shoot again following the shoulder injury sold my old stabilisers which was a 30" Beiter multi-rod longrod with matching 10" Beiter Multi-rod shorts on the V-bars. However scanning through the archery shop websites it appears that the Beiter Multi-rod system has gone by the wayside and is no longer available. looking for advice as to what to go with now. Thanks

ThomVis

What poundage on the fingers are you planning on shooting and what are your archery goals?
Any cheap stabilizer system works with low poundage bow and "recreational" archery. Step up on poundage and archery achievement goals and you "need" to step up on stabilizer quality.
Sidenote: The Beiter multi-rod system works well in their default setting, but adding weight makes them more bouncy and less stable.

Corax67

I shoot an HMC22 full set on my Inno CXT - they perform really well but came with a complete setup rather than me choosing them.

I‘ve seen such a wide variety of setups at club & competitions, all of which seem to perform equally as well, that I don‘t know if there is a ’best‘ setup, rather that people find one that they can tweak to suit their form and shooting style.

If you know and like the Beiter system then maybe try hunting down a secondhand set.

Karl

elthria

What poundage on the fingers are you planning on shooting and what are your archery goals?
Any cheap stabilizer system works with low poundage bow and "recreational" archery. Step up on poundage and archery achievement goals and you "need" to step up on stabilizer quality.
Sidenote: The Beiter multi-rod system works well in their default setting, but adding weight makes them more bouncy and less stable.
Hi,

My Limbs are rated 38lb on a 68" bow using my Hoyt Helix riser i cant remember what it was actually measured as on the fingers when drew, my aim is to try and get back to where i used to be when back in University where i was the Recurve Team Captain with a Portsmouth Round PB of 535/600.

elthria

I shoot an HMC22 full set on my Inno CXT - they perform really well but came with a complete setup rather than me choosing them.

I‘ve seen such a wide variety of setups at club & competitions, all of which seem to perform equally as well, that I don‘t know if there is a ’best‘ setup, rather that people find one that they can tweak to suit their form and shooting style.

If you know and like the Beiter system then maybe try hunting down a secondhand set.

Karl
To be fair I have been out of the sport for such a length of time for various reasons that i would probably be like starting again with the stabiliser anyway. I was just initially trying to rebuild the bow i used to have.

Bandit

Stabilisers aren't anything special, they are a stick with a weight on the end. The feel is personal and takes time to settle on. Only time and practice will do this. something like this will be fine as a starting point. Just experiment with the weights

PedzVW

I got this as a first set for my daughter recently and I (along with more experienced archers at our club) were impressed for the price.
The v-bar is adjustable up and down the long rod (rather than a separate extender).
It also comes with a nice storage bag (much better than the one I bought as my set didn't include one).

Stabilisers aren't anything special, they are a stick with a weight on the end. The feel is personal and takes time to settle on. Only time and practice will do this. something like this will be fine as a starting point. Just experiment with the weights

Stretch

If you really liked the Beiter rods just watch eBay and you’ll soon find a set the right spec for you. They have quite a different hold feel to most rods (depending on whether you shot them with end weights or not). You will struggle to get that feel with other rods due to the distributed mass. Less of an issue if you shot fewer tuners and weights.

I shoot Shrewd Revel’s which are great - and a lot less pricey than some of the other “thin” rods but still crazy money. So for my second bow I bought a set of
Epic Fusion EX Plus (so the ones with the ball Bomb style damper not the Doinker Extreme style damper). They are fatter than the Shrewd at 15mm and quite a bit heavier (which you might like if you liked Beiter). The rods seem well made, decent finish and certainly look the part. They also hold OK and damp OK - so at the price point I’d strongly recommend them. They have a slightly dull bow reaction compared to the Shrewd. The downside on them is the dampers are OK but not a Doinker A-Bomb. and A-bomb makes them smoother. The second downside is that the weights are a single block and quite light- so if you want a different weight you need to buy a different stack weight system. When I looked you couldn’t buy the supplied weights but maybe you can now. I have shot 340 at 30m with them so they wont hold you back.

My second suggestion would be a set of W&W HMC plus rods. They have achieved everything in this sport in the hands of a wide variety of archers... really you can’t go wrong. Frequently available secondhand too.

Lastly, I can certainly vouch that Easton ACE and the newer Easton x10 rods are well suited to the Helix. (And I shot G3, W&W and Samick limbs out of that riser). ACE and X10 rods also come up on the secondhand market regularly.

if your first goal is shooting around 530 on a Portsmouth then realistically no stabiliser you can buy would hinder you (unless you make them too heavy etc). I shot my first 530 with an ancient Easton X7 taper aluminium longrod and a set of even older Hoyt alloy side rods in a no-name v-bar. (And it was old in 1987). So I’d echo the don’t spend a fortune messages. But if you buy really cheap you might get stabiliser envy very quickly if you have magpie tendencies for shiny nice looking stuff (so many of us do, hence all the ridiculously good stuff on eBay)

Stretch

mbaker74

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
For now, I would advise setting exactly how much you want to spend, then either trawl Ebay for a replacement set of the Beiters, or go through the normal online shops and see what you can get for your budget, then get the one you like the look of best..... Different stabilisers all do the exact same job, but they do "feel" different, but if your just starting out again you have many many more things to focus on.... Second hand is definitely a good option at your point, would also be worth asking at whatever club your going to join, members often have second sets or the stabs from their first bow they are happy to either sell on or let you shoot to see how they feel....

Graham Smith

AIUK Saviour
I have a set of HMC Plus for sale. Comprising of a 30 inch long rod and two 12 inch side rods, all with weights and rubbers. They come with a 4 inch HMC Plus extender and a Wia Wis S21 45 degree V bar. All in as new condition. PM me if your interested.

I am unable to post pics on here as it says the files are too large but I could email them if you're interested.

Graham Smith

AIUK Saviour
I'm selling the above stabs because I've given up Olympic Recurve in favour of field archery. I also have a pair of Win & Win Inno EX Power limbs, 68 inch @ 34 lbs and a Shibuya Dual Click sight for sale. All in excellent condition.