Making a double loop flemish twist string

albatross

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
I have made a couple of Flemish twist strings using the timber hitch method for the lower loop.

One on our juniors has asked me to make them a spare string for their longbow, but they want a double loop!

What is the best way to make the second loop. Would it be better to untwist the string bundles (after making the top loop) and retwist in the opposite direction, so that when I twist them to form the second loop they will twist correctly.

Or, as I have seen on YouTube. Platte the strands into the Flemish twist section after the loop has been sized.

Valkamai

I found that bearpaw archery had a very helpful video on YouTube about making a double loop Flemish string.

Berny

...untwist the string bundles (after making the top loop) and retwist in the opposite direction, so that when I twist them to form the second loop they will twist correctly.
Main issue is to get the number of counter-twists right - is dependent on the length of your laying-in of the 2nd loop tails.
Count the number of twists you put in for the first loop lay-in & assuming you're making the 2 ends the same that shouldbe the no of counter-twists
you'll need. Nothing as aesthetically unpleasing as a corded string, but quite common.

That Bearpaw video is quite good, various other ones on youtube too.

Practice makes ....

albatross

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Thank you for your prompt and helpful replies.

I'll have a look at YouTube and practice, practice, practice.

Dennis