making a manual '8' style score number

ash

i want to make myself a manual score number you know like the ones used in cricket that form the number 8 but you can flip the 8 to form any number. you may have seen these at the indoor champs.

i can make the backboard, i've got plastic/or cardboard for the numbers and even got the elastic cord. but i don't know the best way to secure the cord?
normally you have a rectangular number lets say 8cm long/3cm height with a cord going through the cardboard. this leaves two pieces of cord sticking out of the rectangular number.

these two cords need to be pushed through a couple of holes in the backboard and somehow secured in place.

i can't imagine tape or stapples being any good.
trying a knot in the cord may do the trick well but is there a way to attach a metal clip/beed to stop the cord being pulled back through the hole.

ash

thats certainly an option thanks. I was hoping to find a way where i don't use more cord than i need to such as a metal cap on the end of a cord. i don't even know if you can buy end caps.

ash

thanks all.
that's pretty much what i was looking for Geoff and i'm already looking for cheaper crimps (thats what there called), they'll do the job nicely.