Maple Board Bow Buildalong

ChakaZulu

This is a bow I started a while ago for my wife but since she now has a new horsebow it'll probably end up as mine. I thought I'd start posting pictures so anybody new to bow-building can see the process and anyone can offer advice and criticism to help me.

This is how far I've got. Basically I've taken a fairly straight-grained maple board from Yandles, roughed out the ends and stuck on handle pieces of satinwood and padauk, using Titebond 3 and wrapping with bicycle innertube while it sets. Then I've been shaping the handle a little using a rasp and a flexible rasp (belt from a belt sander held in the hands).

I'm determined to make more headway soon as a recompense for not yet getting a shiny new Border :bawling:

ChakaZulu

Notes to self:
1. Do not describe wood as fairly straight-grained. It is a sure-fire way to discover a wavy grain line.

2. Do not drawknife a stave late at night. It is a sure-fire way to find the wavy line and split the stave.

3. Do not post a buildalong and then drawknife a 'fairly straight-grained' board late at night. It makes you look silly when you f%&$ it up.

ChakaZulu

Reviewing the situation

As you may have guessed, things went a little wrong. Having sawn off the other limb to match I have a bow that is some 52" long with an 8" riser section.

Two possibilities occur to me. First I could try to tiller it to my draw. Secondly, if that doesn't work I can make it much weaker and my son can have it when he's old enough to crawl/walk/hold a bow.

Now where did I put that drawing board???

:bang:

philhoney

As you may have guessed, things went a little wrong. Having sawn off the other limb to match I have a bow that is some 52" long with an 8" riser section.

Two possibilities occur to me. First I could try to tiller it to my draw. Secondly, if that doesn't work I can make it much weaker and my son can have it when he's old enough to crawl/walk/hold a bow.

Now where did I put that drawing board???

:bang:
Make the bow to suit the wood. It doesn't matter it it ends up at 12" or 6'. The theraputic value of making something is priceless. If it ends up too small to use then hang it on the wall as an ornament. If it is usable then someone, somewhere could make use of it.
Phil

^HUN^

The set back handle is already in place, and the bow is 52" limb tip to limb tip, have you considered another alternative such as splicing siyahs into the ends of each limb?
You have the option of of converting it into an Asiatic style.

ChakaZulu

That's exactly what I've just been pondering. Not sure my splicing skills are up to it, but I don't think it's a viable straight bow and the riser's too big to turn it into a decent kid's bow.

Hmm...

D

Deleted member 7654

The riser can be cut down....ok it'll be slow and painstaking.
If you carefully saw down to just short of the maple say 2" either side of the centre line, chisel the bulk off then carefully rasp/file away the remainder a little at a time, that would gain you another 4".
Try for a low draw weight and just see how much you dare take it back for the hell of it. You could always steam some defex into it with a tiny reflex at the tips to make it look pretty.
Nah..face it, at 52" you're probably screwed... :(
Reminds me of my first bow of the year...ended up at 25lb due to over enthusiasm and cabin fever. Happens to us all, we are forever re-learning from our mistakes.... then we get cocky again and whoops!

Del

D

Deleted member 7654

The riser can be cut down....ok it'll be slow and painstaking.
If you carefully saw down to just short of the maple say 2" either side of the centre line, chisel the bulk off then carefully rasp/file away the remainder a little at a time, that would gain you another 4".
Try for a low draw weight and just see how much you dare take it back for the hell of it. You could always steam some defex into it with a tiny reflex at the tips to make it look pretty.
Nah..face it, at 52" you're probably screwed... :(
Reminds me of my first bow of the year...ended up at 25lb due to over enthusiasm and cabin fever. Happens to us all, we are forever re-learning from our mistakes.... then we get cocky again and whoops!
I like the siyah idea...good fun to try, it's almost a no-lose option now, and you'll learn a load from the experience.
It's the failures we learn from, it's character building... will more platitudes help? :muted:

Del

ChakaZulu

On the bright side, I've found a couple of branches of birch(?) in the woods that I may acquire.

New thread on fallen wood coming up...

D

Deleted member 7654

Yeah, the price of fallen timber is pretty attractive :)