Mass shooting with bow...

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
it's happened before... it'll happen again...

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Condolences must go to those who have been affected. It's a shocking crime and of course making the headlines as it's such an unusual choice of weapon.
It is an excellent reminder of how dangerous our sporting tools are when misused.

Senlac

Supporter
Supporter
Keep your eyes open: there may well be calls for new restrictions on bows/arrows.
BTW, I’m guessing it was a compound. But I’ve seen nothing in the press about bow type.

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
I'm not necessarily averse to having better controls on sale of archery equipment. And I think the type of bow is irrelevant to be honest. I've seen what a kid's jellybow can do. I think it's easy to forget that we handle weapons, in the main safely, on a daily basis. But they end up in the hands of fools, dumbasses and bad people too.

Ian

AIUK Saviour
More controls did not work with gun crime and I very much doubt that it will work with archery.
It`s just a way for the politicians to con us into thinking that they are doing something.

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Actually, if you look at both the UK and Australia, more controls have been pretty successful, in comparison to the big ogre of *free* weapons ownership, the US.
A few sensible and practical checks will not affect the majority of us owning and using our equipment just as we have done for years. I find it amusing that there's a panic that we might have to jump through some hoops. Big deal. I'll be jumping.

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
Keep your eyes open: there may well be calls for new restrictions on bows/arrows.
BTW, I’m guessing it was a compound. But I’ve seen nothing in the press about bow type.
I mean no other attack (including the one that had a policeman in Scotland shot) has, so I doubt something happening in Norway will either. In fact I've never seen calls for new restrictions after one of these incidents... seen lots of people going "watch out for calls" but never the calls themselves...

KidCurry

AIUK Saviour
I don't think it's the process of regulation that's an issue. The issue is regulating sales will send a message to the public, who we generally rent grounds from, that archery should be regarded with the same distrust as knives, air guns etc. It's hard enough to find land to shoot on already. We lost our club due to lack of new ground. We can't control publication of criminal activity but I don't think promoting regulation will help our sport at all. Better to try and keep a low profile during these times.

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
While I absolutely agree with you, I also think many of us are guilty of forgetting how dangerous our equipment can be, and fail to take it seriously. How many times do we see photos of people shooting against larch-lap fences and not call it out? How many shooting fields do we push our luck with the overshoot requirement? Field ranges with iffy overshoot onto another lane that everyone knows about but it's a bit of a joke? Sure we have insurance, but it's still not ok.
While this crime in Norway is a completely different issue, in that it's a crime, we still can be blase and one day it'll bite us on the behind. Taking it more seriously before harder controls are brought in might help prevent that problem arising.
I'm not *promoting* regulation as such. I'm saying I'll understand if it happens. I'll understand why, and I'll accept it as being for the greater good. Making sure we as individuals and groups have our house in order well before that isn't a bad idea.

Now I'll go sharpen my broadheads and go hunt some rabbits in the local playpark. 😜

Reactions: Rik

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
While I absolutely agree with you, I also think many of us are guilty of forgetting how dangerous our equipment can be, and fail to take it seriously. How many times do we see photos of people shooting against larch-lap fences and not call it out? How many shooting fields do we push our luck with the overshoot requirement? Field ranges with iffy overshoot onto another lane that everyone knows about but it's a bit of a joke? Sure we have insurance, but it's still not ok.
Well, all AGB fields should have been checked by now, unless you're suggesting that some have been allowed to slide through the test...?? (other organisations obviously have their own range safety rules which I'm sure are followed...)

Ian

AIUK Saviour
I'd have said that the fact that he was a radicalised individual who was already known to the police is the real issue.
Quite so you cannot legislate against the mentally ill.
Also where do you stop you can do a hell of a lot of damage with a baseball bat,cricket bat,carving knife etc etc etc.

Beardy

The American
American Shoot
Quite so you cannot legislate against the mentally ill.
Also where do you stop you can do a hell of a lot of damage with a baseball bat,cricket bat,carving knife etc etc etc.
Have you not being paying attention to the Westminster gasworks. I’m sure it’s only a matter of time before they get around to it…

Senlac

Supporter
Supporter
It’s now being stated by the Norwegian police that the perpetrator had probably been radicalised (recently converted to Islam), and also used a knife. Also the BBC are saying “Bows and arrows are not classed as illegal weapons in Norway. Buying and owning them is permitted, and owners are not required to register them, although they must be used at designated archery ranges”.I.e just like the UK.

D

Deleted member 7654

Funny how everyone would be scathing about crossbows in the past ... but now it's a compound, no one cares what sort of bow it is? :unsure:
Del

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Because not many of us see arbalists as part of our sport.

Last edited: