Compound Bow Mathews C4 - how long can it go on for?

Mathews are still making that bow, and its design goes back to the C3 and C2. I wonder how long they will continue to make it? I have had a few C3's and C4's over the years, and have a C3 in bits which I might resurrect one day.

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
well, as long as they've got shirts and hats with 'Mathews solocam' on, it's probably a good idea to sell at least one bow that comes as a solocam! :laughing: and that way, when archers inconveniently go round breaking world records with an old bow, people can still buy it! (though I think Braden's 718 was an Apex 7)

well, as long as they've got shirts and hats with 'Mathews solocam' on, it's probably a good idea to sell at least one bow that comes as a solocam! :laughing: and that way, when archers inconveniently go round breaking world records with an old bow, people can still buy it! (though I think Braden's 718 was an Apex 7)
True about the Solocam marketing. Yes Braden was a shooting an A7 I believe, but the only trouble with them over modern designs is that you have no adjustability on the cam.

jerryRTD

There are bows out there that are single cam and have a rotating module. If Mathews did the same for the C4 it could go on for a lot longer.

There are bows out there that are single cam and have a rotating module. If Mathews did the same for the C4 it could go on for a lot longer.
Agree, with a more adjustable cam it would be a winner, but I guess it is never going to be evolved. Plus Mathews have dropped "Solocam" from their logo so that might pave the way for quietly dropping it....

T101

Hey, of course there is the old if it ain't broke...., I still believe its one of the best target bows out there. I like the cams as they are, mods would just make it less efficient at certain lengths. Besides, the minimax cam has 1/2" adjustment and you can get more with the string/cable. I've shot the TRX and its great, but a completely different feel. ie more aggressive draw/valley. Wasn't too long ago Wifler picked up a C4 after leaving recurves behind, and promptly won Vegas. C4 we salute you :)

jerryRTD

Hey, of course there is the old if it ain't broke...., I still believe its one of the best target bows out there. I like the cams as they are, mods would just make it less efficient at certain lengths. Besides, the minimax cam has 1/2" adjustment and you can get more with the string/cable. I've shot the TRX and its great, but a completely different feel. ie more aggressive draw/valley. Wasn't too long ago Wifler picked up a C4 after leaving recurves behind, and promptly won Vegas. C4 we salute you :)
People are not going to spend their money on some thing you tweak and 'get away with'. they want a good resale price and that means appealing to the largest possible customer base and the possibility of having to shell out for a different cam is off putting to say the least, not mention the cost of a trip to the nearest bow press and the cost of actually having the work done.
. So what if rotating mods loose you some efficiency ? If you are buying a C4 your are not after every last bit of speed are you? The market is moving not moving away from single cam bows , PSE still make them and they have the advantage of only having one module to adjust. The market is moving away from non module adjustable bows. Mathews only have them selves to blame with a little investment the C4 could go on.