Mathews TRX38 or 40

I was thinking of upgrading my conquest 4 for a TRX38 or 40. I was wondering if any of you have a TRX and what your opinion is.

jerryRTD

I cannot give an opinion on either of the TRX's but I would advise you to keep the Conquest 4 and set it up as your 'indoor' bow. That would save you a lot of hassle. In addition if you try to sell the Connie it won't be easy as the single cam draw length change will work against you.

Thanks I intended to keep it for different reasons it won’t be worth a lot and it was one of the bow Liam Grimwood owned when he shot for Mathews and won several championships and world records.

emdrum

I was thinking of upgrading my conquest 4 for a TRX38 or 40. I was wondering if any of you have a TRX and what your opinion is.
I have a TRX 38, and I highly recommend it. I have owned a number of bows from Matthews, Bowtech, Elite, MyBo (also Merlin), and have tried a number of others. Of all of those, the one that gives me the most pleasure to shoot is the TRX 38. It's a really lovely draw and the feel of the shot is excellent. Having said that, it is a heavy bow. The mass weight is quoted as 4.87lbs, which must be without anything on it, including strings. In reality the bow is well over 5lbs and most of that weight is distributed along the axis of the grip (that long straight riser) so it's at the end of your bow arm and it's going to feel heavy, particularly in comparison to something like the C4 which is only 4.4lbs.

The build quality is excellent, and though I understand there were some paint issues with early models, I have had no issues with mine. I went for black, but I was really tempted by the red. It's a great looking bow - you get comments on the shooting line, I think because of that long straight riser, and being a Matthews, the engineering is all solid and everything works as it should. The only issue I've seen is that you can over-tighten the cam bolts very easily, which leads to problems, but that's a user issue.

That weight does help with stability, and you don't need to load the stabilisers with weight (unless you want to) to get a stable shot. In fact I don't think you need much stabilisation at all - just balance the bow. When shot, the bow is quiet, and there is minimal vibration. It's one of the quietest bows I've ever shot, but it's not dead in the hand. There's plenty of feedback. The short limbs make it fast and stable., and the arrow goes where you point it. In my opinion, the geometry encourages good form.

Originally I had the 70V mods, but I found that these were punishing by the end of a days shooting (I'm not as young as I used to be), so I swapped them for 80H which I find more comfortable. You have to change mods if you want to adjust the draw length, and you may find that is an additional expense. Although in theory you can change the mods without a bow press, in practice you often can't get at the mod-screws without one, so that may be a factor.

Tuning is uncomplicated and once you get the bow shooting straight you can just leave it like that. I haven't needed to revert to top-hats to move the cams, though that is available if you need it. In my experience torque is well-controlled, in comparison to other bows I've worked with. I have a more excitable Bowtech which is fun to shoot but can be wearing after a while, and an Elite which is lighter to hold but much more difficult to tune (nice bow to shoot, though), but I come back to the TRX 38 again and again, because shooting it makes me smile. Can I give a higher recommendation than that?

As always I would recommend trying one before buying - different people want different things from a bow - and if you are within range I would strongly recommend a trip over to Clickers who usually have stock in both hands that you can try - as soon as we are allowed to do such things. They are very helpful and offer great support.

So yes, highly recommended. It's a shooter's bow.

Aleatorian

I can't fault the recommendation above, I love my 2 TRX 38s, they are a pleasure to shoot, hence why I have 2.

I can only speak for the G1 version, not so sure on the G2

Once thing you don't mention is DrawLength, anything Under 29" I would go for the 38

At the 38" ATA, they are a good all rounder, I use mine for WA Field, Outdoor Target and Indoor Target

I can't fault the recommendation above, I love my 2 TRX 38s, they are a pleasure to shoot, hence why I have 2.

I can only speak for the G1 version, not so sure on the G2

Once thing you don't mention is DrawLength, anything Under 29" I would go for the 38

At the 38" ATA, they are a good all rounder, I use mine for WA Field, Outdoor Target and Indoor Target
Hi I been offered a 70# bow are your 2 bows meet the actual poundage as the 2 Mathews bows I have had was always 3-5 lbs light. The reason I am asking I would need it to go down to 57 to be on the safe side.

Aleatorian

are your 2 bows meet the actual poundage as the 2 Mathews bows I have had was always 3-5 lbs light.
Both mine make the the draw weight, never 3 - 5# light, the only thing I can think that would cause that would be they weren't set up to spec properly. I do all my own work on getting things set up, so I make sure they get to the specs are want, Draw Weight and Draw Length, ATA within 1/8" of spec and same for Brace Height.

I've got 60# limbs and shoot then at 59.5# to keep them under the WA limit.

Both mine make the the draw weight, never 3 - 5# light, the only thing I can think that would cause that would be they weren't set up to spec properly. I do all my own work on getting things set up, so I make sure they get to the specs are want, Draw Weight and Draw Length, ATA within 1/8" of spec and same for Brace Height.

I've got 60# limbs and shoot then at 59.5# to keep them under the WA limit.
Thanks for the info it’s the minicam on the conquest 4 that reduces the draw weight as opposed to the max cam. I also do my own stuff and make my own strings my ATA in 1/2 shorter brace height is up 1/16 to get 55-56lbs the bow is 7 years old so I suppose I could have lost something there.

turtle

Most recent Mathews well exceed the rated weight: most 60s come in at 62-64lb maxed out.

Excellent bows, which I can't really fault. I have two TRX40s. The platform does phenomenally well around the world so it comes down to what you like more than anything.