Merlin

Barry C

New member
Why did merlin change to wood grips, in the old days they said that a razor edge would be a perfect grip and their bows did have that kind of feel, so why the change to chunky wood? Does anybody know why?
 


Barebow

New member
I don't know, but I have a Merlin Vision the wooden grips are only on the side, since I hold my hand open when releasing, I don't find it a problem
 


greydog

New member
The new slim aluminium grips are available for the 'X' range of Merlin compounds now. I have a nice silver one :)
 


R

rgsphoto

Guest
greydog said:
The new slim aluminium grips are available for the 'X' range of Merlin compounds now. I have a nice silver one :)
What it like GD? I like the look of them. But mention Merlin compounds round our parts and people look at you like you have two heads:boggled:
 


greydog

New member
I prefer them to the wooden pistol style grip that they have. It's only fractionally wider than the riser itself and very comfortable. Your hand seems to slide into the same position shot after shot, rather than with the larger wooden ones which if you weren't carefull you could find a different position now and then :)
I would guess that the chunky wooden handle has been introduced more for the american bowhunting market as it won't get anywhere near as cold as the riser on a winter morning.:melodrama
I've heard alot of Merlin bashing too, but I have to say I'm very pleased with the bow. Alot of the comments go back to when Merlin were farming out their limb production and were getting let down badly by their supplier. The limbs are now produced in house and are excellent, one of the best laminate limbs out there.:thumbsup:
 


Barry C

New member
I love merlin compounds my brothers old bow shot great mostly due to the superb old torque resistant grip that im sad to see has gone. It wasnt as smooth as my old hoyt but it was a great bow.
 


pwiles1968

New member
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
greydog said:
Merlin were farming out their limb production and were getting let down badly by their supplier. The limbs are now produced in house and are excellent, one of the best laminate limbs out there.:thumbsup:
The only thing I think is wrong with the bows is the cut-out on the limb where the cam goes, they look like the slot was cut by hand and not finished, It is only minor, I am sure it is not an issue or they would not leave it that way, it is just attention to detail and compared to the riser finish which is excellent, I am not sure if the current X range has the same issue.


I am in the minority in our club as I'm the only compound that is not a Merlin and when it is time for am upgrade they will be on my list of bows to look at.
 


greydog

New member
Alex - contact Merlin [email protected] or 01509 233555 for the handles.

pwiles1968 - I agree, the finish on the limb forks could be better from a cosmetic point of view, I imagine that's something that will be resolved in the future :)
 


Swaledale

New member
I used a Nova and entered scores I have never since surpassed (1347 best)
then the old girl broke. I was heart broken but as it was under lifetime waranty
I was given a new Max 2000, suffice it to say I had a new Hoyt within two months! When the new XT has a track record I'll think about it, as for those little disco glitter balls in the cutouts...well....as my friend observed; " Looks like the back end of a Nissan Bluebird" he's from Bradford if you get my drift!
 


Oookster

New member
I was at Merlin a short while ago and all I can say is their level of service is truly excellent. You are made to feel welcome and regardless of what you are spending and you feel like they always have time for your little quirks and questions.

Treated like a person not a wallet transporter

Oookster
 


simon m

New member
Ironman
Arrows - overnight (twice, mine and hers)

Sight - warned of small delay for annodising of mounting bracket arrived wquicker than expected

I'm shooting a light storm which even second hand the finish is excellent.

e-mail - questions answered quickly and politely with good information.

Can't fault the merlin team so far.
 


Barry C

New member
Swaledale said:
I used a Nova and entered scores I have never since surpassed (1347 best)
then the old girl broke. I was heart broken but as it was under lifetime waranty
I was given a new Max 2000, suffice it to say I had a new Hoyt within two months! When the new XT has a track record I'll think about it, as for those little disco glitter balls in the cutouts...well....as my friend observed; " Looks like the back end of a Nissan Bluebird" he's from Bradford if you get my drift!
The new merlin compounds are beautiful but as you said whats going on with those crazy stickers, why not just have cut outs, Origionally i thought it was background but then i saw one and couldnt believe they had dont that. Its the most frickin ugly bow ever made now because of that.
 


F

flamingbladerider

Guest
Had a Merlin a couple of years a go and that was excellent. From what i have seen the new Merlin range has been made even better.
 


greydog

New member
Barry C said:
The new merlin compounds are beautiful but as you said whats going on with those crazy stickers, why not just have cut outs, Origionally i thought it was background but then i saw one and couldnt believe they had dont that. Its the most frickin ugly bow ever made now because of that.
The stickers are an aquired taste, and I don't think many people have taken to them. I think the original intention was to offer variety to the customer, without distributers getting stuck with bows anodised in colours people just didn't want.
That said, if you are prepared to wait a little longer, Ben and Chris seem happy to get the bows and hardware in any colour combo you want, can't say that about the other bow manufacturers :cheerful:
I think the bows look great, and by not removing all the aluminium in the cutout areas, you end up with an incredably durable and consistant riser, especially when compared to some bows on the market that have been machined down to the bones to save weight, only to end up with a flexable riser :(

I had to pop down to Merlin myself on tuesday, after explaining to Chris what the problem was (my limb had started to chew the lining in the limb pocket and as a result had shifted a little) he took the bow away and worked on it for over 40 minutes, came back with the newly designed limb pockets, new limbs and the new polymer(?) material they are using for the limb rockers all installed...........couldn't have asked for more :cheerful:
 


Barry C

New member
But why not just have holes? holes are prettier than not holes or not holes with 70s stickers on it. I bet del boy would luv it.
 


whisky

New member
Barry C said:
But why not just have holes? holes are prettier than not holes or not holes with 70s stickers on it. I bet del boy would luv it.
I think Greydog has explained why the riser wasn't machined out, though Ben stops by often so may add some more comments to the thread (he is on holiday at the moment). I guess by not machining the insert area out it leaves the riser much stiffer and doesn't flex like some other popular makes do

The inserts are not compulsory - if you don't like them leave them out the machining is of good quality
 


Barry C

New member
whisky said:
I think Greydog has explained why the riser wasn't machined out, though Ben stops by often so may add some more comments to the thread (he is on holiday at the moment). I guess by not machining the insert area out it leaves the riser much stiffer and doesn't flex like some other popular makes do

The inserts are not compulsory - if you don't like them leave them out the machining is of good quality
I doubt it would need the inserts with the front brace. Hoyt has a sophisticated stress modelling software. If leaving inserts on really was the #1 solution i hypothisise that a, it would be more common or b, it just plane ugly. I Loved the origional merlin lineup, then thy go and make a bow thats really pretty but ruin it with no cut outs then to top it off take away merlins #1 feature, the awesome grip thats been replaced with a plank of wood. I think they went for sales in america compromising along the way. Surely the Supernova is Merlins best target bow to date.
 


Barebow

New member
I have always been impressed by the quality and finsh of Merlin.
I just got a tri-ax sight from them, a fantasic piece of gear.:yummy:
It has taken me 6 weeks just to stop playing with all the ajustments.
2 years ago I was the only member of our club to have a Merlin, there are now 4 more, it speaks for itself.
 


greydog

New member
Barry C said:
I doubt it would need the inserts with the front brace. Hoyt has a sophisticated stress modelling software. If leaving inserts on really was the #1 solution i hypothisise that a, it would be more common or b, it just plane ugly. I Loved the origional merlin lineup, then thy go and make a bow thats really pretty but ruin it with no cut outs then to top it off take away merlins #1 feature, the awesome grip thats been replaced with a plank of wood. I think they went for sales in america compromising along the way. Surely the Supernova is Merlins best target bow to date.
It doesn't need the aluminium left in the holes, they are just there so the inserts have something to stick to, the weight loss achieved by machining out these extra little bits would be negligable.

The front brace has allowed Merlin to machine the handle area thinner, and go with their own shrewd style metal handle, which is proving very popular. The wooden handles seem popular on those bows bought for hunting as wood has better insulating properties.

The Super Nova does have an outstanding handle, something which many manufacturers are only just starting to rectify with their own bows. Who knows, as the 'X' range evolves, maybe this is something that will be incorporated into the design ?
 


Top