Mirrored Clout Sight for Recurve Legality

tabashir

Supporter
Supporter
Hi folks,

I enjoy making stuff and thought I might have a go at 3d printing a mirrored clout sight for recurve, something like this: CHAMPION Clout Sight
or this:

However, if I make it, I would like to be able to use it and am struggling to work out if it would be legal for recurve. I imagine it would be fine for compound unlimited.

I've looked through all the threads on here, there is one from 2006 where a now 'Deleted' user posted that a mirror was not counted as a prism so is legal. In a more recent one from 2017, some agree based on the word prism being very specific and would therefore be a lens. Others disagree arguing that the purpose of a prism is to change the path of light, which a double mirror certainly does even if it isn't a lens. The UK rules state that the definition is the same as World Archery.

World Archery rule:
11.1.5.1. It shall not incorporate a prism, lens, or any other magnifying device, levelling, electric or electronic devices nor shall it provide for more than one sighting point.
I've trawled the WA rulebook and through the interpretations. There are plenty of interpretations to do with sights, but nothing that relates to this or the definition of a prism.

Has anybody tried one at a UK shoot or have any knowledge of a judge specifically banning or allowing it (in UK) ?

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Sorry, it's only legal on a compound.
It is specifically prohibited on a recurve in the UK.

Unless you are shooting Ozzy Rules clout.

tabashir

Supporter
Supporter
Sorry, it's only legal on a compound.
It is specifically prohibited on a recurve in the UK.

Unless you are shooting Ozzy Rules clout.
Thanks TT. For some reason missed notification about this till I came back to check specifically. I did wonder if it was an Aussie thing since they are the only ones that seem to make the mirrors.

tabashir

Supporter
Supporter
Tried it?
Yup, works a charm. For my setup, had to drop the extension bar down fully then go down a little on the rail so that the aperture was just a little higher than the lower stab bushing. The pin needed to be over so it was just about visible behind the riser at full draw. Took a while to find it, but the final end had all 6 in the ring with the pin on the flag.