Modifying grip on W & W

Sargan

Just bought a new (2nd hand ) riser ......... been told it's a Win & Win WINACT (later model), not new but a good starter for me.

I have large hands (size XXL in gloves) and the wood grip is a bit small. (see the pics)
Anybody aware of anything I can add to improve this ... or any suggestions on how to modify.

could do with being a bit wider and certainly longer. (are there any add on covers ?)
Or do I need to look at splicing on some walnut and shaping to match.

New to archery - this is my first purchased bow, so unfamiliar with what is normally done in such cases.

Attachments

Last edited:

Whitehart

I would suggest making sure that your hand position is correct when shooting before worrying about modifying your grip.

For many a small grip is better - less hand torque

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
A bow grip is very personal, but it is important, I feel, to get the hand in a good position before deciding what needs changing on the grip itself. Or, put another way, if you hold the bow wrongly and shape the grip to that hand position, you will reinforce a bad hand position.
Most archers these days try to get the hand into the grip so the fist is not vertical as in your pics, but at about 45 deg.
That means that none of the pad that is level with the little finger actually touches the grip.
That will straight away make your bow's grip, more than long enough. In the pics, you have part of that pad hanging down below the grip making the wood seem too short.
Just to get some better idea of what this means, you could try this. Hold the hand out so the back of the hand is level and uppermost. Point straight ahead with the thumb and then ease your hand into the bow's grip. Then let the thumb pad relax down onto the wood. You should see all the back of your hand with the knuckles sloping at about 45deg so the little finger is lower than the others.
The thumb should want to point straight ahead and the fingers should relax and point downhill, not across the riser.
If you draw the bow so there is tension pushing the grip into your hand, when you put the bow down there should be an area showing where the grip pressed into you hand. That area should all be on the thumb pad, lower than the web that spreads between thumb and index finger.

Sargan

agree & accept ... pic was just to show size in relation to hand.

Not easy to take a picture while holding bow .... but this is more like my normal hold:

- - - Updated - - -

agree & accept ... pic was just to show size in relation to hand.

Not easy to take a picture while holding bow .... but this is more like my normal hold:

Attachments

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Yes, the pic shows your hand size in relation to the grip.
Both are normal. It is easy enough to hold the bow as you are indicating. And when you are shooting it that way, it is easy enough to feel that your hand is too big for the wooden piece.