[Horsebow] Mongol Archery?

Nic Rhodes

Can any recommend a good book on Mongol archery please? (or other source of info). I have found good info on other asiatic types but much more limited on Mongol archery.

Thanks

Dorset Lass

Ironman
Hiya
I have just started reading 'Chinese Archery' by Stephen Selby. My impression is that it covers a wider geographical area ie Mongolia as well but as I am only on the second chapter I can't confirm how much Mongolian content there is. I am also reading a biography of Genghis Khan which is very interesting. Although so far it has only had limited mention of Mongolian archery it is very interesting to appreciate the cultural landscape in which these bows were developed and used.

Let us know if you find anything relevant. I am always interested in learning more about these wonderful bows.

Nic Rhodes

I have Stephens book already but would be interested in details of the other reference you mention also. As you say, it sets the picture...

Dorset Lass

Ironman
'Genghis Khan - Life, Death and Resurrection' - by John Man
Finding it very interesting although I nearly stopped reading in disgust when he talks about 'firing' arrows and says that hornbows are basic and inferior, but I decided to forgive him on the basis that he is an historian and not an archer....

Nic Rhodes

Finding it very interesting although I nearly stopped reading in disgust when he talks about 'firing' arrows and says that hornbows are basic and inferior, but I decided to forgive him on the basis that he is an historian and not an archer....
thanks, will look out for it but will prepare to tell those historians off :grin:

barney

It's the best bow building book I've purchased so far. Mr Karpowicz is certainly a master craftsman and 'knows his stuff'.

Could get his postage sorted, though - mine took six weeks to arrive.

Awesome book. Absolutely everything you need to know to build basically any hornbow but obviously concentrates on the Ottoman Turkish bows.

Dorset Lass

Ironman
I am still reading the Genghis Khan book by John Man and was appalled last night when looking at some of the illustrations in the second half of the book. There is a very nice modern illustration of a Mongolian Archer drawing a bow. I was looking at it admiring the way that the thumb draw was depicted and studying the form of the archer. I then read John Man's caption which said "The illustrator is clearly not an archer as it takes three fingers to draw a bow". Uuuuurugh!!! I am not sure if I can bring myself to finish the book as it has really annoyed me. Why go to all the trouble of researching the life of Genghis Khan and miss something as basic as that.
Rant over.....

Last edited:

Naedre

I think i would be reluctant to rely on 'archery' information coming from an historian who makes such a basic error. it makes me wonder how much he has researched this part of his subject.

blakey

I don't know how to post a link, but if you do a Google search for "Youtube _ Num Sum", posted by 'MeRawhide'. Hopefully you see a very fine video of traditional Mongolian Archery that will show all historians how it's still done today. Just had another look at it. Great close-up shots of string bridges. Never seen them before and not sure what they do? Prevent string slap perhaps? Cheers
Got it, finally. Try this:
YouTube - Num Sum

Last edited:

barney

Great close-up shots of string bridges. Never seen them before and not sure what they do? Prevent string slap perhaps? Cheers

Like the video. The judging seems a bit hazardous.

String bridges serve several purposes: They reduce the risk of the bow unstringing itself when shooting (highly reflexed bows can be a bit prone to this). They also stop the string dead at the end of the powerstroke, in theory giving an additional ?snap? to the arrow?s release, and the string a frequency of a shorter bow ? both should increase arrow speed (with lightweight arrows). And yes, this will also help to reduce wrist slap. I have also read that they can be used to ?hook up? spent arrows on the field so you don?t have to dismount your horse.

Nic Rhodes

interesting video. Got my Turkish book and it is an amazing tome, highly recommended. Best horsebow book I have seen so far.