Compound Bow Mybo Edge

Ozzy

They could do what Bowtech/Diamond have done, have two brands, Mybo and Merlin. Reposition the Origin as an intermediate bow with black only colour marketed under one brand name. ( as long as your making a good profit why put the price up?) Go upmarket with the other brand name.
With the economy as it is at the moment, high end bow sales could take a big hit if the interest rates go up any time soon
From a marketing perspective, probably a bit late for that brand name segmentation move now.
I really liked & preferred the previous "Merlin" name branding for their previous bows. This "Mybo" name has been the subject of a bit of razzing at my club over my Mybo Origin.
The AUS$ is quite favourable at the moment for purchases from UK or US, but a top end bow is still a rather hefty investment.

Whitehart

I look forward to similar threads over the next couple of months when the annual round of new compound bows are announced along with all the expected price increases.

Buying a bow is simple and always a personal choice - you try it, either like it or don't, decide whether for you it is good value, will help you improve and enjoy your archery.

The problem comes when you start to worry about what other people think - the proof is your score there are no points in this sport for style and having the right label.

Whitehart

I look forward to similar threads over the next couple of months when the annual round of new compound bows are announced along with all the expected price increases.

Buying a bow is simple and always a personal choice - you try it, either like it or don't, decide whether for you it is good value, will help you improve and enjoy your archery.

The problem comes when you start to worry about what other people think - the proof is your score there are no points in this sport for style and having the right label.

Whitehart

If I was in the business of selling archery equipment, I'd be keeping quiet about that.:raspberry
That's the USP for the box shifter's.

But there are lots of points to be gained by having the right kit, fitting your budget, matched to you and the support and help, guidance to help you progress and enjoy your archery - that's what we do.

Whitehart

If I was in the business of selling archery equipment, I'd be keeping quiet about that.:raspberry
That's the USP for the box shifter's.

But there are lots of points to be gained by having the right kit, fitting your budget, matched to you and the support and help, guidance to help you progress and enjoy your archery - that's what we do.

jerryRTD

From a marketing perspective, probably a bit late for that brand name segmentation move now.
I really liked & preferred the previous "Merlin" name branding for their previous bows. This "Mybo" name has been the subject of a bit of razzing at my club over my Mybo Origin.
The AUS$ is quite favourable at the moment for purchases from UK or US, but a top end bow is still a rather hefty investment.
I

Call me a cynic if you wish but I would bet that there is no such thing as too late for a marketing exercise

jerryRTD

I

Call me a cynic if you wish but I would bet that there is no such thing as too late for a marketing exercise

Well Mybo themselves list the same ATA speed for both; 318fps.

Apart from a couple of mildly patronising posts, there is STILL no benefit stated over the Origin - yes it's a good bow, of course it is but in what way? Just "I tried one and it was nice" is a bit weak.

Now I'm (clearly) not experienced enough to be able to give a balanced view but in the other sports I do to a high level (mainly surfing which I'll use as an example) I am experienced enough to discern one board from another and in that sport, extra cost gets you a known brand import usually from the USA. However less money gets me a board shaped by hand by a shaper I surf with and to my exact specs. So is the machine made import board "better?" Well maybe it is for some people but not others and clearly just spending more doesn't instantly make a board better.

I'm not attacking the Edge or Mybo; I have a Mybo. But I'd just like to see some actual benefits rather than "different aluminium" and "it's nice."

Mybo would do themselves a lot of favours if they consider where this bow sits in the market and having brought out a very good bow for a pretty amazing ?795, how the new one is 50% "better."

It's not that difficult - just basic sales and marketing.
Patronising and weak comments aside...
I've shot both, the Edge was better than the Origin for me. Which is what counts.
Why the price fixation? I could wax on about bow tech speak all night. But at the end of the day a crap archer with a pro tuned hoyt would still loose to Mike Schloesser shooting my old zimmer frame with wheels bow.
The man behind the kit counts first.
Get yourself up to Merlin try one and hope you've not picked the wrong bow.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Kernowlad

Supporter
Supporter
Tell Bell Pottinger that... ;)
Haha!
**slight nervous shuffling as I run a PR company too...**
Strictly no dodgy clients though.

Fluff - the wrong bow? Eh?
I'm "fixated" by price because it's rather important to most people.
I'll always be (like many) a casual hobby archer, nothing more serious. Clearly many think nothing of throwing ?1200 at a bow but I suspect a lot more people need to be extremely certain of what they are buying.

TBH at the moment while getting used to my release (badly) I'm shooting so badly, I'd probably be better off with our ?30 Decathlon bow with sucker arrows.

jerryRTD

Haha!

I'll always be (like many) a casual hobby archer, nothing more serious. Clearly many think nothing of throwing ?1200 at a bow but I suspect a lot more people need to be extremely certain of what they are buying.

TBH at the moment while getting used to my release (badly) I'm shooting so badly, I'd probably be better off with our ?30 Decathlon bow with sucker arrows.
I still have that wrist release if you're interested????????

jerryRTD

Haha!

I still have that wrist release if you're interested???????? just kiding

jerryRTD

You're a magpie, drawn to something shiny.

On a serious note be sure you want to do this rather than just going along with what most others are doing.

Last edited:

Kernowlad

Supporter
Supporter
Jerry - I was seriously doubting myself but have just have a session in the garden and am making progress.
When it goes right it's great. Never done a hobby that is SO dependent of mindset. I find that quite fascinating!

It's a great feeling when everything clicks into place.
I use a Stan Shootoff thumb release. Set up to release like a hinge. So no jabbing the trigger.
Always had guns though so never realky had issues with punching. Someone once told me every new change to your set up takes so many hours to build into your form.
Sure you will crack it Matt.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Merlin Archery

Ironman
I've had a look through the thread and the question of price keeps coming up. There's no complicated marketing strategy going on behind the scenes. We make the same margins on the Origin and the Edge. The Edge costs us more to make, hence the uplift in price. Simple really. :)

Happy to answer any specific questions you would like to ask?