Compound Bow Mybo Origin vs Hoyt Prevail

Mormegil

Is the Origin better than the Hoyts?
Or what am i getting for the extra coin with the Hoyts?

I love that it's UK made and I do like it, but I do prefer the look of the Hoyts. both prevail and defiant. What i'm wondering is will i wish I'd got the Hoyt at a later date?
The extras you know you'd get with a Hoyt Prevail over the Origin are:
-Proven tournament record.
-Shoot through riser.

The first seems kind of iffy - who knows how those shooters would have done with a different bow?

Shoot through riser is supposed to add a lot of stiffness and we're seeing similar risers from PSE and Prime with Mathews and Elite using cages for the same idea. How much of a difference will that make to you? I have no way of measuring that particular length of string :)

AndyW

FWIW I'm in the camp of most bows can very much exceed what the owner is capable of. I would have a decent sized bet that even low end bows on a shooting machine will be trashing arrows in short order. As you say, the big boys will shoot whatever very, very well. Free stuff and cash is a superb motivational tool. Hence I'd rather have the excess ?500 to buy other archery tat.
My brother got a hat once for being a staff shooter and 20% off anything he bought - oh if only, riches beyond the dreams of avarice.

jerryRTD

It is a mistake to think of the bow as a thing apart, as you rightly say even a low end bow will trash arrows on a machine. So what's left? It's the way the archer reacts to the bow and how well the combination of archer and bow fit together. I have an old Martin Scepter III, it's big heavy with soft spongey cams and a back wall about as hard as the back rest on sofa. I wouldn't try to shoot it seriously it is only good for giving beginners a taste of compound. I do not react well to that bow it is every thing I don't like in a bow.

unit

Awesome responses guys! Much appreciated.

Jerry, thanks. Why would I keep it for 2315's? (those are an arrow type right?)
I think I'll try out the bows in shop once I know my DL and have some experience shooting the Assassin, and see how each feels and which I prefer.

Kid, I am looking forward to getting it later today! Maybe I will love it :)

Mormegil, neither reason are strong enough to discount the Origin, so that's still on the table.

AndyW, I'll admit the extra ?500 in my pocket is a good incentive to get the Origin

Btw, as well as the wrist release I got with the assassin, I bought a Tru Ball HBC... so I hear I may be updating you all on how many black eyes I get or teeth I lose.

Ozzy

The extras you know you'd get with a Hoyt Prevail over the Origin are:
-Proven tournament record.
-Shoot through riser.

The first seems kind of iffy - who knows how those shooters would have done with a different bow?

Shoot through riser is supposed to add a lot of stiffness and we're seeing similar risers from PSE and Prime with Mathews and Elite using cages for the same idea. How much of a difference will that make to you? I have no way of measuring that particular length of string :)
Precisely the gimmick features & big marketing budget story sold to entice gullible archers that I mentioned earlier.
Tell that to the amazing scores by Mathews & Elite shooters who have won major tournaments, or the medal winners from the UK Nationals shooting a Mybo Origin, all without a shoot thru riser.

Ozzy

Precisely the gimmick features & big marketing budget story sold to entice gullible archers that I mentioned earlier.
Tell that to the amazing scores by Mathews & Elite shooters who have won major tournaments, or the medal winners from the UK Nationals shooting a Mybo Origin, all without a shoot thru riser.
However, I have the distinct impression that this is yet another case of an inexperienced compounder who won't be happy until he spends the big quid & satisfies himself.

Let me say, if the Mybo Origin had a shoot through riser, I would still shoot one.
Mybo have another model due out soon, the "Edge". No shoot thru riser, either :poulies:

Anyway, how about other far more important features; the cam, adjustability, tuneability, etc ?

unit

Fml Ozzy, you are a bloody delight mate! Lol do you dislike hoyt that much?

I'm not a Hoyt fan boy, I do like the origin and I love that it's British made, I do like how the hosts look, but also like how the origin looks. I'll be interested to see the new mybo too.

I'm happy to spend as long as I'm satisfied at the end of it regardless or price.

I know the basic difference between the two prevail cams but not alot more.
Shoot through riser isn't important to me really.
Interested to hear about the comparison of the cams, adjust and tunability etc?

Ozzy

I'm not a Hoyt fan boy, I do like the origin and I love that it's British made, I do like how the hosts look, but also like how the origin looks. I'll be interested to see the new mybo too.

I'm happy to spend as long as I'm satisfied at the end of it regardless or price.

I have owned several Hoyt bows over the years, along with most other brands, so certainly far from a Hoyt disliker. They pay for top Pro & sponsored archers to support their claims & there is no denying their target success . It's just that I have been around long enough to be unimpressed & pay for the big American brand hype & gimmicks unless convinced they are offering an advantage in some way. There are more Hoyt compounds here locally than any other brand due to their loyal brand following & our dealers being distributors .
The big difference between the cams ?
Hoyt have for many years used the same concept "hybrid" cam invented originally by Darton.
The Origin Mybo is a more recent technology, a slaved together "binary" style cam, which was patented by Bowtech & more bow manufacturers seem to be incorporating & have customised as their own now due to ease of time & tweak & fine tune in draw length, stop hardness, letoff, etc etc. All without changing cams & modules, all without a press. Have wondered how long it will be before Hoyt use the idea & call them by their own particular name, as other manufacturers have done.
No one pays or owns me. What more can I say ?

jerryRTD

Awesome responses guys! Much appreciated.

Jerry, thanks. Why would I keep it for 2315's? (those are an arrow type right?)
I think I'll try out the bows in shop once I know my DL and have some experience shooting the Assassin, and see how each feels and which I prefer.

Kid, I am looking forward to getting it later today! Maybe I will love it :)

Mormegil, neither reason are strong enough to discount the Origin, so that's still on the table.

AndyW, I'll admit the extra ?500 in my pocket is a good incentive to get the Origin

Btw, as well as the wrist release I got with the assassin, I bought a Tru Ball HBC... so I hear I may be updating you all on how many black eyes I get or teeth I lose.

My clubs out door range is in the same place as the indoor. So on the rainy sunday afternoons we go back inside. I have an indoor bow, set up for 2315 arrows ( big line cutters). I don't have to change anything to shoot indoors and I don't shoot my expensive arrows indoors. I also use different stabs indoors ( No wind to worry about.) If anything does break on my out door bow I have a back up.

AndyW

FYI - I've been happily hating Hoyt since 1989. Others innovate, they drag along at some point later if it proves to be popular. Just about numbers and being sparkly. And somehow they still manage to make a dog every now and then. If I'm being 100%; in fairness you can't fault the ruckus - brilliant kids bow. I remember an article back in the early 90s where a US Olympian was saying he had to actively avoid his own arrows whilst practicing at Olympic distance because of how great the Hoyt shot. Yeah . . . . . right.

Like for like they always seem less somehow. There's been some truly awesome bows the last few years, Maitland Session Pro (limbs aside), OK DST40, PSEs, Mathews Triumph and Apexs, No cams are being sold off for ?6 - 700 now - that's a lot of target bows. At the moment even with the money for new in pocket - I would go pre loved.

The Meggy

I was at a certain archery retailer's a few weeks ago, with some friends, one of whom is planning to buy a new bow in the next few months. Both Chris and Ben Jones were kind enough to spend some time talking to us about both the Mybo Origin and the soon to be released Mybo Edge (plus we got a good look at a prototype - still refining the cam design we were told, but wow). To say the least, I was most impressed with the knowledge and attention to detail that goes into these bows, and CJ made what I felt were telling comments about the level nock travel at all draw length settings that their design achieves, along with the centred string location and even string pressure on the axles.

GoneBad

There is one more difference betwen the Hoyt and Mybo that no one has mentioned. The Hoyt cam position between the limbs makes the string run down the left side of the grip when viewed from behind and hence closer to your arm. The Mybo has the string run down the centre of the bow. This will reduce the risk of a newbie getting string slap from the Mybo.

unit

I have owned several Hoyt bows over the years, along with most other brands, so certainly far from a Hoyt disliker. They pay for top Pro & sponsored archers to support their claims & there is no denying their target success . It's just that I have been around long enough to be unimpressed & pay for the big American brand hype & gimmicks unless convinced they are offering an advantage in some way. There are more Hoyt compounds here locally than any other brand due to their loyal brand following & our dealers being distributors .
The big difference between the cams ?
Hoyt have for many years used the same concept "hybrid" cam invented originally by Darton.
The Origin Mybo is a more recent technology, a slaved together "binary" style cam, which was patented by Bowtech & more bow manufacturers seem to be incorporating & have customised as their own now due to ease of time & tweak & fine tune in draw length, stop hardness, letoff, etc etc. All without changing cams & modules, all without a press. Have wondered how long it will be before Hoyt use the idea & call them by their own particular name, as other manufacturers have done.
No one pays or owns me. What more can I say ?
Thanks for that Ozzy!
I'll admit I'm leaning less toward hoyt after all the replies in this one. The bowtech I have is a binary cam and is easy to adjust and I like that.
Since reading your reply the other day, I have looked about and noticed a number of the big names have a much bigger DL range per cam than hoyt so I'm looking at a much wider selection of bows now. I think hoyt seem to be missing a trick with that.

Nice on Ozzy! much appreciated!

unit

Meggy, Sounds like it's worth waiting for then. Called and it's out this year at some point.
I dare say I'll still be playing with the Bowtech by the time it's out.

GoneBad, That puts me off hoyts even more! I shoot recurve so I seem to get behind the bow more than some so I'm already getting string slap now n then from the Bowtech. Definitely don't want more of that!

KidCurry

AIUK Saviour
Honestly, if you're getting string slap from a compound it is for one of two reasons - very strangely shaped arms, or a form problem.
The Hoyt Podium X 40 is the only compound bow I've ever had this issue with in 30 years of shooting compound. Fitting a string stop removed the problem but they are not commercially available due to the 1/4 UNC thread and angle of the mounting point.

T101

Hey Unit, an important factor that no one has mentioned is ATA, for target all other things being equal, generally a longer ATA tends to be better. That's not to say some archers can't shoot as well with a 35" axle bow, of course they can we have all seen it. But as good as the Origin is or isn't, they ARE bringing out a longer ATA target model this year, for a reason ;0)

I'm not saying the Prevail is going to be better than the Origin because of longer ATA, but I doubt its gonna be crap.

I get that appearance seems to be a factor for you, nothing worse than wishing you had bought something else especially when you see one on the line. Depends how much money that is worth to you though I spose.

Have you considered a used Podium X? sposed to be similar to the Prevail and about half the money now

AndyW

I have to admit that after hearing about the forthcoming Edge I wouldn't be buying anything until I saw it. If they do as good a job with a long ATA as they did with the origin I might even sell a couple of bows to fund one. A UK made finger shooters bow - c'mon baby.

unit

Hey Unit, an important factor that no one has mentioned is ATA, for target all other things being equal, generally a longer ATA tends to be better. That's not to say some archers can't shoot as well with a 35" axle bow, of course they can we have all seen it. But as good as the Origin is or isn't, they ARE bringing out a longer ATA target model this year, for a reason ;0)

I'm not saying the Prevail is going to be better than the Origin because of longer ATA, but I doubt its gonna be crap.

I get that appearance seems to be a factor for you, nothing worse than wishing you had bought something else especially when you see one on the line. Depends how much money that is worth to you though I spose.

Have you considered a used Podium X? sposed to be similar to the Prevail and about half the money now
Thanks T101! This is something I've read and noticed with new bows this year vs last as it goes. I'm leaning towards 37-40" bows now, inc the Mathews Halon X Comp and TRX or with the Edge arriving this year I'm keen to see that too. The Hoyts still catch my eye and appearance is something I'm looking. Other brands are growing on me though.
Now you say, I'll check out the Podium X too.

AndyW, I won't be buying anything till the Edge is released either. Love that it's British made too!