Mycarta Limb Tips

Graham Smith

AIUK Saviour
Hi,
I'm in a bit of a quandary and hope someone can help. I normally shoot Olympic Recurve but have bought a low price one piece recurve to have a bit of fun with. A Touchwood Ibex to be exact.
What I'd like to know is do I have to stick with a dacron string or are the limbs capable of taking a less stretchy string. I currently have a endless loop dacron string but would like to change to a Flemish twist. Can I use a BCY D97 string?
I've searched the net and all I can find is that the bow has Mycarta limb tips and I don't know if that means they are reinforced to enable the use of more modern strings or not.
I'd be grateful for any help.

D

Deleted member 7654

Mycarta is woven glass (or carbon) fibre laminated in epoxy resin. It should easily be strong enough for a decent modern low stretch string material.
I've been shooting my 108# crossbow which I made with tips backed in horn bound with carbon fibre to stop splitting, and that's been fine.
https://bowyersdiary.blogspot.com/2018/10/finished-crossbow-prod-mount.html
Most limb tips are prob just plastic of some sort, so Mycarta is prob' better. It should be V resistant to splitting as it doesn't have a grain.
Del

Whitehart

There is a reason why they recommend Dacron it is not just about the limb tips, but the whole integrity of the build of the bow and not least the warranty.

Graham Smith

AIUK Saviour
Thanks Del and Whitehart. It doesn't actually say that it recommends dacron although it did come supplied with a dacron string.
Thanks for your help Guys.

jonUK76

I have a cheap Oak Ridge flatbow which came supplied with a Dacron endless loop string. One problem with the manufacturer supplied string was it was too short - the lowest brace height I could get at rest was around 8" with no twists. Recommended brace height for the bow is 6.5". I changed to a Flemish string in Fast Flight+ (in the correct length) about a year ago and have shot it quite a bit since, and nothing untoward has happened so far (touch wood!). I think the lower brace height in itself is easier on the bow.

If the damage from string materials is due to shock through the bow, I'd imagine part of the equation is how heavy the arrows are. I only shoot heavy arrows from it (2016's with 100 gr points or large wood arrows). Tying on some string silencers made a big difference to the vibration felt from shots too. It's almost inaudible now too. Oak Ridge/Touchwood/Buck Trail are related brands - their catalogue shows which bows are "Fast Flight Approved", and mine isn't (neither is the Ibex) so using it would be at your own risk.

Graham Smith

AIUK Saviour
Thanks Jon. I didn't know that those 3 brands were related. I thought Buck Trail were made by Win & Win. Sure I read that somewhere.
The string I have now is endless loop dacron and I have the opposite problem to the one you had. I have to twist the life out of it to get to an 8 inch brace height which shows everywhere as the recommended height. I notice on the catalogue that you sent the link to that it says 7-8 inches.
I shoot quite a heavy arrow with this bow. Easton X7 2014 aluminiums and was thinking of getting a Bodnik Whisper string. I still don't know though.
By the way I have put wool string silencers on the string and they really do work and cost next to nothing and are easy to make.

DarkMuppet

Thanks Jon. I didn't know that those 3 brands were related. I thought Buck Trail were made by Win & Win. Sure I read that somewhere.
The string I have now is endless loop dacron and I have the opposite problem to the one you had. I have to twist the life out of it to get to an 8 inch brace height which shows everywhere as the recommended height. I notice on the catalogue that you sent the link to that it says 7-8 inches.
I shoot quite a heavy arrow with this bow. Easton X7 2014 aluminiums and was thinking of getting a Bodnik Whisper string. I still don't know though.
By the way I have put wool string silencers on the string and they really do work and cost next to nothing and are easy to make.
The Bucktrail bows were found to be made in the same Chinese Factory that made the SF range for W&W. Whether it's a W&W owned factory I'm not sure but the quality of the gear is pretty good. More than likely the factory just makes and names bows for specific markets and companies and they then just choose the name to stick on them.