New - Archery GB Annualized Renewals

CJ2014

I queried AGB's April Pro-rata rates and they have issued an update on pro-rata renewals, including Direct members. They have now annualized April renewal to the archer not AGB. I feel sorry for Club affiliation Officers.

'Your membership renewal date will then be personalised to you rather than us. You’ll be able to renew from 2 April yourself (which we hope you’ll find more convenient) but still have the option to renew through your local club.'

Fees
Archery GB Membership Fees

Renewing Members 2020/21
Membership CategoryFull Year April Renewal
Direct Member – Senior (aged 25 and over)£55.00Personal Anniversary Membership
Direct under £25 and disabled£12Personal Anniversary Membership
Club Member – Senior (aged 25 and over)
£47.00​
Personal Anniversary Membership
Seniors members aged 18 to 24 (inc) – all categories
£12.00​
Juniors (under 18s) – all categories
£12.00​
Archers with Disabilities – all categories
£12.00​
University Clubs
£170.00​
Contact us direct for details

Last edited:

CJ2014

Not only club affiliation officers but County and Regional affiliation officers too.
They are once again suggesting members process their own renewals! It makes you wonder if County and regions were consulted on these changes.

I have already had one club member vocalize, very strongly, that they supported Archery GB and Club and feel totally ripped off. They had no intention of shooting as there was no indoor season and they would wait until spring to shoot.

We have another member who wishes to do an April renewal, neither County nor Region have published their 2021/22 fees or a 'personalized' renewal. What should the club charge the member?

To be totally honest, the only benefit I can see is for the AGB who have worked out a way to collect a Full annual fee from all late renewing members, leaving Clubs, County, and region to try and pick up the pieces.

If I hadn't asked the question, I wonder when they would have told us.

DorsetWiltsAA

As a county Chair and speaking to my Treasurer / Affiliations Officer we weren't consulated on these personalised date or direct aspects and it wasn't discussed at Region council level either.

CJ2014

I can't check the GWAS Constitution as their site is broken, but correct me if I'm wrong their Regional fees are set and agreed at their AGM , which was just over a week ago, and a new fee structure issued just last week.

If Region doesn't change their fee structure which is very specific about delayed renewals members will have to pay two years fees now, not that we know next year's fees.

What a pickle.

Last edited:

DorsetWiltsAA

Yes the GWAS fees were agreed at the AGM last Sunday - and Direct Member fees didn't change - however what hasn't been discussed at our county level or GWAS level is renewals outside clubs and personalised renewal dates as your main points above.

Yesterday club secretaries received the following from AGB.

Hello there,

With restrictions easing and guidance in place to reopen clubs, we’re looking forward to getting back to archery.

We are now in a position to let you know about fees for renewing members to help the sport to get back on its feet.

New and Lapsed Members

First of all, to recap, the new member fees were announced in 2020 for this membership year. There is no change to these prices and these can be found here.

Lapsed members, or range returners, are archers who have been a member in the past but were not a member in the 2019/20 year. They too can join and pay the new member fees. They may need a refresher course or in some cases a bit more support to get back shooting. We’ll be sending out further details about how to support range returners with free training for your club launching soon.

Renewing Members

We recognise that many members may not have renewed up to now for a variety of reasons. Perhaps they or a family member was shielding, maybe caring responsibilities left them with less free time or perhaps your club couldn’t open.

When outdoor shooting returns, we recognise that they shouldn’t miss out for those months when they couldn’t shoot. We want to ease the burden of administration on our club volunteers, and use this opportunity to try something new.

From 2 April, renewing members will be provided with 12 months membership from the point of return, if they join before 30 September.

The membership renewal date will then be personalised to the member rather than us. They’ll be able to renew from 2 April themselves (which is new!) through the membership portal.

However, you as the club secretary still have the option to renew members – so if they pay you, they are classed as a member from that point and therefore can shoot.

Next Steps

All non-renewed members will be sent a similar communication to let them know what they can do next. They have the option to either:

• Renew their membership through the online membership system (from 2 April) and pay directly to Archery GB (online payment only); or
• Pay the club (with a cheque or BACS) and then shoot as soon as payment is received by the club – the club then pays the renewals as usual.

Support

We know that you may be worried about members joining your club that you are not aware of. Renewing members have the option to choose their club, but the club will have 10 days to accept or reject membership (after which membership is approved).

The member will receive an e-card and the club system will be updated. So, at all times you will be able to see who is and isn’t a member.
To make things easier we have produced a Guide to Online Renewals for Secretaries, which is attached to this email.

We can’t wait to see shooting lines full of archers again. If there is anything we can do to help please do not hesitate to get in touch by email [email protected] or call 01952 677888.

I love the line "We know that you may be worried about members joining your club that you are not aware of". Is this an April Fool?

There's been no consultation about this, it's just been imposed and will come into effect next Friday. Though it only applies to lapsed members, this is basically a first step towards regurgitating the modernisation proposals of 2012, which were rejected by clubs, counties and regions because they would result in administrative chaos, with affiliations being due at all times of year eventually, and club officials losing track of who is insured and who isn't. Maybe a small club with set times could make it work, but a larger one with 24:7 access hasn't a hope.

But in addition to this, they're also going to contact all old members on their books and, without the club's consent, without any regard to membership levels or even whether the club wants that member back, and offer them the chance to rejoin. The club then has 10 days to reject it otherwise their silence is taken as acceptance. Not that our secretary can accept it because people are supposed to apply for membership and it gets voted on at a meeting.

This is really quite amazing. I've seen some crazy ideas from AGB down the years but this is right up there. To me this looks like a blatant power grab, and an attempt to get as much money as they can from anywhere without any thought for the poor so and so's who are going to have to make it work.

KidCurry

AIUK Saviour
Support

We know that you may be worried about members joining your club that you are not aware of. Renewing members have the option to choose their club, but the club will have 10 days to accept or reject membership (after which membership is approved).
Hang on... So if your club secretary is on holiday and misses the incoming email, that person becomes a member of your club even though they have not paid the club fees? Or have I missed something?

CJ2014

Hang on... So if your club secretary is on holiday and misses the incoming email, that person becomes a member of your club even though they have not paid the club fees? Or have I missed something?
Seems like paid AGB staff have created a weekly job for unpaid volunteers, whilst removing the ability of clubs to choose their members.

I do not know if it is the same in all Counties or Regions, but Clubs are responsible for paying their fees for Club members. So in your example, kidcurry, not only does the club not have its fee they also seem to have a liability to pay County/Region fees.

So what renewal date will new archers or returning archers who were not members in 2019/20, have if they say join in May?

Update:
On consideration, I assume that new and older renewing members will have an October renewal date as they are paying a reduced fee.

Why not annualize these categories as well? What's good for the goose.....🦆

Last edited:

CJ2014

Update to membership renewals from April 2021

'When outdoor shooting returns, we recognise that you shouldn’t miss out for those months when you couldn’t shoot.'

I wonder if members who renewed in October will get a 3-month extension on our renewal date for when we couldn't shoot?

Geophys2

AIUK Saviour
Hang on, so what is the real difference between me as a Direct Member, who then joins his club, and someone who pays his fees direct to AGB, nominating his club. We both have to join a county and region as well. Oh I know I have to pay AGB £8 more for the privilege!

What a shambles.

This sort of thing really makes one appreciate the amateur run NFAS, who charge me only about a third of the price AGB do.

KidCurry

AIUK Saviour
I wonder if members who renewed in October will get a 3-month extension on our renewal date for when we couldn't shoot?
To be honest I don't mind paying the annual fee but have AGB forgotten that just a few months ago they said they had reviewed the annual renewal fees and could not afford to offer a refund or lower annual fee or an extension. What has changed?
Also, is it 10 workig days, 10 days, 10 days from the AGB payment, or 10 days from the club being informed of the impending new over capacity about to be imposed on the club?
I would AGB give clubs an opt-out option for this at least.

Yes that's pretty much how I read it. It will be interesting to see what happens when that non-member turns up at the club, gets turned away because they're not a member, and AGB won't give them their money back because the club "accepted" them.

DorsetWiltsAA

As we see it from this it seems;
  1. That a lapsed club member after the 2nd April can renew with AGB eg 6th June 2021 outside of your club membership and payment process for club, county and region memberships then hopefully contact you.
  2. That any lapsed member renewing after the 2nd April will have a bespoke 12-month AGB membership and perhaps forever after that eg renews 6th June 2021so due again 6th June 2022 and then each June after that and an AGB renewal you will need to track for insurance purposes.
  3. This personal AGB renewal date eg 6th June may be now outside of your club renewal dates if say you're club year starts a different month to their new personalised renewal.
  4. That lapsed archers from the 2nd April get a full 12-months membership from renewal eg from 6th June 2021 whereas archers who supported your club with fees during the pandemic compared to those who renewed wef 1st October 2021 with no indoor/outdoor shooting don't.. When AGB state "we recognise that they [lapsed members] shouldn't miss out for those months when they couldn’t shoot." This only applies to lapsed archers who save fees 1st October 2020 to their new personalised renewal date before September 2021 whilst limited or no club shooting then get a full 12-months membership unlike those that did renew in October 2020.
  5. Whilst county and region fees were not mentioned it remains the responsibility of clubs to ensure both county and region fees are paid.
  6. Possibly all lapsed members will be contacted so this may include all your previous club members no longer members of AGB and your club eg 2019-20 and not just 2020-21.
  7. If a club misses the 10-day review period that member is seemingly by default a member of your club even if you do not wish this eg an ex-member previously excluded.

CJ2014

6. Possibly all lapsed members will be contacted so this may include all your previous club members no longer members of AGB and your club eg 2019-20 and not just 2020-21.

That is how I read it as well, however, any member whose membership lapsed prior to September 2019 will return on the 'New Member Rate', which looks to be on a pro-rata basis and I, therefore, assume they will have an October renewal.

This suggests to me that AGB is not committed to an Annualized system otherwise this other category of returning members would have been offered annualized membership.

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Don't you think that AGB is trying to do the right thing, or at least trying to do the right thing with respect to encouraging returners, even though it hasn't done a particularly good job of publicising it or thinking through the ramifications?

DorsetWiltsAA

Those that supported their club, county and region by paying fees last October lose out as their paid 12 months of membership includes periods of no shooting

Those that didn't support their club, county and region by not paying fees last October gain a full 12 months of membership post-April for their same payment with no period of no shooting.

Whilst introducing personalised renewal dates ArcheryGB state in this "We want to ease the burden of administration on our club volunteers"

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Those that supported their club, county and region by paying fees last October lose out as their paid 12 months of membership includes periods of no shooting

Those that didn't support their club, county and region by not paying fees last October gain a full 12 months of membership post-April for their same payment with no period of no shooting.

Whilst introducing personalised renewal dates ArcheryGB state in this "We want to ease the burden of administration on our club volunteers"
Everything that you say is true. But, it is now almost exactly a year since I shot an arrow under the auspices of AGB. And I renewed with the full knowledge that my membership fee for a full year was basically a charitable donation.

There are winners and losers here. And the winners are not necessarily winners for the right reasons. It's a shitty time. Take the hit. Move on.

CJ2014

dvd8n

I think you may have missed DWAA's primary concern, not the hit as you call it but the administrative nightmare that is being brought upon Club, County, and Regional Affiliations Officers throughout the year.

There is also the issue surrounding bespoke renewals in relation to who is allowed to shoot either in tournaments or clubs and the difficulty of having variable renewals, will become an issue in spring 2022. As a club, we change all passwords and keys each October so we can manage members and more importantly ex-members.

With regards to annualized memberships, why are they only being offered to 'late' renewers, using a pro-rata system for those who lapsed prior to September 2019. Why not let them have annualized memberships as well and reduce the number of membership variables?