new bow

oldnut

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
evening all, my new bow should arrive this week, its a bamboo/purple heart/lemon wood 50# elb. I would assume it will have instructions on 'running it in' but I thought I would ask if any one has a preferred method of doing so. as its my fist made for me bow I don't want to knack it by doing something (dont know what) I shouldnt

Raven's_Eye

Ironman
I doubt it'll come with instructions. Lots of bows are already now "shot in" but nothing wrong with easing it in yourself. Try a few looses from part draw and low bracing height (wear a bracer near the wrist). It'll help stretch the string and get the wood used to bending. After a dozen or so arrows increase the bracing height and repeat with perhaps a 3/4 draw. Again after a couple of dozen set to regular bracing height (the bowyer can comment on what is the correct bracing height range) and do a few full draws.

String material depending you may need to increase the bracing height again or might be ok.

Corax67

Bought my new long bow (Gary Evans) 12 months ago together with 2 other club mates from Wales Archery - our breaking in consisted of driving back to Kent from Wales at a decent pace, heading straight to our field & all shooting a 100yd New National :)

Through the winter I was stringing it and doing gentle draw exercises at 1/4 1/2 3/4 and full once a month and the same before getting down to business on the first round of this season - maybe you could try that ?

Karl

D

Deleted member 7654

The main thing is that if you do all the suggested things it will do no harm.
There is a big difference between a "manufactured" bow which may have only been taken to full draw a few times and possibly never actually shot and a crafted bow by a bowyer that is doing it himself and may well have put 50 or more arrows through the bow so that the details can be fettled and it can have time to settle down.
The tiller on a bow can shift as it settles down and as it is exercised during tillering, mind this probably applies more to self bows than laminates.
Once I've got a bow tillered I will shoot it from full draw 50-100 times checking it over, adjusting brace height, arrow pass, nocks etc, but I rarely "warm up" a bow.
Del

oldnut

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
thanks for the advice one and all. I think it boils down to 'treat it carefully to start with' its been made by etelon bows to my spec

oldnut

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
my new bow arrived today, its a thing of shiny beauty! it has a slight recurve to it and has been tillered to 52# to allow it to drop a couple of # in the first couple of months. I usually use a 45# bow and I an shoot a Portsmouth no problem I strung this and...it did not want to move! it say in the paperwork to do 15 to 20 1/4 pulls then half pulls then full draw. tried it and it id soften slightly, one thing I did notice was the string stretch, the brace height dropped from 6" to 4" sunday if its not chucking down I get to play!