New GNAS Field Shoot at Fort Purbrook

English Bowman

Fort Purbrook will be holding a Foresters round on the 3rd October.
This is a new venture for us, so there's a steep learning curve, but it should be good. We have the whole of a Victorian Fort to play in, including the ramparts and the tunnels under the Fort, so there should be some good shots.
It's 2X14 targets and entry is ?8 for adults and ?4 for juniors. GNAS members only I'm afraid.
I will be posting the entry form on our website soon, Purbrook Bowmen
But any questions, post here, or pm me.

C

Compound10

ooo sounds interesting ... the Foresters round seems to be gaining interest again .....

I will pm you my email if you can send me some details I will forward it to the Friars Gate Guys who love a Foresters round

Ben

D

Deleted member 7654

I shall have to see if I can get down there, as my folks live nearby.
BTW I'm NFAS will I be castigated?
Del

English Bowman

Del, you'd be more than welcome to come and shoot, providing you are a GNAS member at the time of the shoot. I personally would like to invite members from all societies to shoot, but unfortunately at an open shoot we rely on GNAS insurance, and they say that all archers must be GNAS members.
In the same way as I can't shoot an NFAS shoot or an EFAA shoot unless I join them. The most ridiculous thing about all of this is that as far as I am aware all three societies use the same insurance company, so why they can't work together is beyond me, but then we've had this discussion on these boards before.

D

Deleted member 7654

...The most ridiculous thing about all of this is that as far as I am aware all three societies use the same insurance company, so why they can't work together is beyond me, but then we've had this discussion on these boards before.
Oh well... slaps furry head with paw.
Nevermind, I s'pose it will never be resolved, because the people who like running organisations aren't the sort of poeple who like sharing power and solving problems for the common good. Bit like governments and banks:muted:
Del

C

Compound10

Del, you'd be more than welcome to come and shoot, providing you are a GNAS member at the time of the shoot. I personally would like to invite members from all societies to shoot, but unfortunately at an open shoot we rely on GNAS insurance, and they say that all archers must be GNAS members.
In the same way as I can't shoot an NFAS shoot or an EFAA shoot unless I join them. The most ridiculous thing about all of this is that as far as I am aware all three societies use the same insurance company, so why they can't work together is beyond me, but then we've had this discussion on these boards before.
yes this annoys me with our open shoots as well.... we could double our entries if it wasn't for this piece of red tape.

D

Deleted member 7654

yes this annoys me with our open shoots as well.... we could double our entries if it wasn't for this piece of red tape.
Yes maybe we should all get in touch with our respective bodies and ask them to tell the insurance company we want the other societies to be include in the cover for open shoots.
After all we can't be shooting in two places at once so there can't actually be any more cover involved.
We are paying the insurance we should tell them what cover we want.
I mean does your car insurance say you can't drive Fords or you mustn't drive in Kent? (probably a bad analogy as they do put all sort of daft condition on us drivers).
It's not beyond the wit of man to have a short list of recognised bodies.

Del

payneib

Supporter
Supporter
me and the Mrs will be there! One loooooooooooong bow and a very PINK recurve coming your way!!! lol

Shots in the tunnels could be interesting for me, seeing as anything over 50yrds or so, i have to aim at the MOON!!! lol

See you in a month(ish)!

(we've entered through our club by the way, dunno how rapid it is with the entry forms lol)

Yew Selfbow

Sorry ... would love to come but I haven't renewed my GNAS membership.
BUT ... I hope it all goes well E.B. and you all have great time .... sounds like a real class event..... enjoy

payneib

Supporter
Supporter
just a quick one: I've had a forum search, but all the "first field event" threads are reports AFTER the fact, and i need advice BEFORE i go!!! lol

So has anyone got any hints for a first time field shoot? Advice for longbow (me) and recurve (the Mrs) very appreciated!!! lol

Thanksfor everyones help!!!

C

Compound10

give us a clue then ... what do you want to know? Or what do you feel you don't know?

English Bowman

just a quick one: I've had a forum search, but all the "first field event" threads are reports AFTER the fact, and i need advice BEFORE i go!!! lol

So has anyone got any hints for a first time field shoot? Advice for longbow (me) and recurve (the Mrs) very appreciated!!! lol

Thanksfor everyones help!!!
The rules for GNAS field shooting are slightly different for longbow. Unlike target archery you are not allowed any kind of sighting aid, so no rubber bands for instance. You also have to stick to one anchor point, and finger position on the string, so no string walking or face walking. The recurve rules are the same.

The first thing that I would do when preparing for a field shoot is get sight (or aiming) marks for distances between 5 and 60 yards. (I have marks every 5 yds, but every 10 should get you on the boss)

You also need to practice distance judging. This is easier than it seems. When out for a walk, pick an object in the distance and guess the distance, then pace it out to see how close you are. You'll find that you can get very accurate quite quickly.

Slopes can be tricky, as you need to aim as if the target is nearer than it really is. If it's uphill you take a little distance off, for downhill, take a bit more off. The steeper the slope, the more you take off.

If the target is along the side of a slope you need to try to keep the bow upright. There is a tendency to tilt the bow with the slope, this will cause the arrows to drift downhill.

There's a good article on shooting FITA field here - Field_Guidelines-e.pdf

We're shooting a Forester's round which is unmarked distances, and you will shoot each arrow from a different peg, but most of the tips transfer across well. We will be making sure that each group has an experienced field archer in it, so it should be a novice friendly shoot.

Darryl

Hi English Bowmen, I'm wishing to attend the Fort Purbrook Field Shoot in Oct along with my gf. I've seen the Quicks entry forms but wondered if we can apply by emailing you (got your address).

Also what are the rules for target recurves as myself, my gf and Ian's (payneib) Wife all shoot target recurves.

English Bowman

Hi English Bowmen, I'm wishing to attend the Fort Purbrook Field Shoot in Oct along with my gf. I've seen the Quicks entry forms but wondered if we can apply by emailing you (got your address).

Also what are the rules for target recurves as myself, my gf and Ian's (payneib) Wife all shoot target recurves.
I can reserve places for you via e-mail, but if the entries start filling up then I'll give the places to those who send in cheques first. (That said I'll contact you to warn you if it starts getting that full) We'd want your club details, style you'll be shooting, gnas number etc.

As for the rules for target recurves, they are the same as for target. There is no reason at all why you shouldn't shoot the same set up for target and field archery, particularly if you are staying with GNAS rules. The only difference in rules for the styles are that Longbows aren't allowed sighting aids, and there are more styles recognised for field, such as compound limited and barebow, also traditional recurve.

payneib

Supporter
Supporter
am really lookin forward to this now!!!!

whats the dress code by the way? and does anyone have a magic ball weather forecast-i'm gonna take both bows. I don't mind my longie gettin rained on, but if it starts out sopping wet, i'll use the glass covered horsebow and shoot trad recurve.

can i just check mine the wifes entries are in from our club-Ian+Charlotte Payne, from RNSCA.

cheers.

English Bowman

Glad to hear that you're looking forward to it, I hope that it lives up to your expectations. And yes I did get the entries for you.

There is no dress code, GNAS rules suggest that bright visible clothing is worn for field archery, but I wouldn't worry about that too much.

Parts of the course are up on the ramparts of the Fort, which are exposed, so warm and waterproof clothing might be a good idea, and there is one steep slope to walk down, sensible walking shoes or boots are a good idea.

Looking forward to seeing you there.

Daniel.

Chuck Glider

Hi Daniel,
So, here's a quick question on the rules for the unmarked Forester round. I noticed that only max distances are set out in the GNAS rules for it. Does that mean that the target may be at ANY distance up to the stated maximum? In other words, for example, there could be a target with the largest spot face anywhere between 70y and 5y? In principle, anyway - I'm sure you wouldn't put the big one so close as 5y :poulies: