New Target Stand Plans

pipeski

I've put together some plans for a target stand, and I thought I might as well share them with the world.
The stand is designed to hold 130cm foam bosses, but there's no reason it can't be adapted for other target types.

It's a pretty decent stand (though I say it myself), better than most of the stands available on the market, and at less than half the price.

Features:

• Folds completely flat for storage
  • No clips, ropes, bolts, catches or anything else. Just open it up and it's ready to use.
  • Suitable for indoor or outdoor use - can be built using treated timber if preferred.
  • Cheap to build (less than ?20) - constructed from the readily-available timber (63x38 CLS) and a handful of screws and bolts.
  • Centre is 1300mm above ground level. Target is angled at precisely 12.5 degrees.

I've built four of these stands so far - they've been extremely sturdy and reliable.

Download the plans from the Keyworth Archers website (PDF).

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Excellent stuff. I love the clear drawings and the finished item looks "right". It is easy to "see" how it will all fold up flat. Great job!

We did something similar but there's an issue with moving the target stands with the bosses on for tournament rounds... as soon as you pick up the stand by the front it collapses.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
It just takes a peg each side pushed through a hole in the upright to prevent the support from lifting. They could be hung from short chains so they don't get left on the field, or lost in the storage shed.

pipeski

We haven't needed to move one yet, but I'll see if I can make a modification to allow them to be lifted with the target aboard...

It just takes a peg each side pushed through a hole in the upright to prevent the support from lifting. They could be hung from short chains so they don't get left on the field, or lost in the storage shed.
That would work :beer: Although I'd probably use a bolt rather than a pin... something that won't bend on lifting

pipeski

That would work :beer: Although I'd probably use a bolt rather than a pin... something that won't bend on lifting
I'll add a note to the plans that if you want to be able to lift the stand with the target, you can drill a couple of holes where the front upright crosses the platform, and then use something like a pair of long eye bolts (M8 or M10) to lock the frame together for lifting purposes.

The use of an eye bolt allows the bolt to be tied to the frame using cord or chain. I don't think you'd need a wingnut. I'll do a test tonight at the club.

Thanks for the input, chaps!

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Thanks for the input, chaps!
I say, Thank you for the plans so clearly shown and the clever idea for such a compact stand.
My mind is now running on an insert to go in the "open tray" that holds the foam boss; so a straw boss can be supported.
A board to fit over the platform. Fitted on the underside of the board, is a "picture frame" that fits snugly into the space in the platform so the board can't slide in any direction. On the upper surface, are two "fingers" like the ones that support a round boss on a tripod stand.

KidCurry

AIUK Saviour
I've updated the plans to include details of how to lock the stand with suitable pegs or eye bolts.
I've also made a couple of other small improvements to the instructions.

Download version 1.2 of the plans from the Keyworth Archers website (PDF).
Great plans and many thanks Pipeski. I have added an extra timber cutting table below as using 3.6m instead of 2.4 gives a much more efficient cutting scheme. Also a 3.0m cutting table which has less waste than 2.4m but not as good as 3.6m.
Many thanks again.

pipeski

I'll gladly add the extra cutting tables to the document. Did you mean to attach anything to your post?