New to field archery what bow?

mkhari

I've just joined a field archery club, affiliated with NFAS and EFAA, I chose to join EFAA. Most beginners buy a beginners target take down bow and use it without sights, because you can get one from eBay for ?30 to ?40. There are a few on there at the moment and most are beginners weight, under 30lb.

I bought a Ragim Black Bear, 30lb flat bow, they come in around ?125, just search on the interweb. The I ordered a dozen wooden arrows from The Fletcher.

If you are a beginner I would suggest buying a standard take down beginners bow, building your strength and then you can choose to put sights on or change it for a Longview or a flat bow.

mkhari

On another note, whatever bow you get, make sure you get the right spine of arrows. I was shooting with someone who had a 24lb takedown bow, perfectly fine for his needs, and something like 300 spine carbon arrows from eBay. Amazing how good a shot he actually was when he used 1813 aluminium arrows instead.

DeciduousDan

I've just joined a field archery club, affiliated with NFAS and EFAA, I chose to join EFAA. Most beginners buy a beginners target take down bow and use it without sights, because you can get one from eBay for ?30 to ?40. There are a few on there at the moment and most are beginners weight, under 30lb.
This is what I am thinking of doing getting a take down receive, running it plain and then going down either the longbow or flatbow route. Once I out grow it.

Simon Banks

This is what I am thinking of doing getting a take down receive, running it plain and then going down either the longbow or flatbow route. Once I out grow it.
Has to be sad the 'beginners recurve' is probably one of the most cost effect bows you'll ever buy ;-). But check with your club they often lend or hire them to newbies. Which works out a lot cheaper in the end. My Dad took up field archery earlier this year at Stonebow near Thirsk and ?I was very impressed that for an extra ?20 a year he gets all the bows,equipment and arrows. When I went down the AGB route My club membership and bow hire and beginners course was easily ?150 for the first year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kernowlad

Supporter
Supporter
Well as a near beginner with a compound bow on the way, I've found this thread fascinating. Also interesting how it has remained civilised. All bodes well.

Simon Banks

Well as a near beginner with a compound bow on the way, I've found this thread fascinating. Also interesting how it has remained civilised. All bodes well.
Haha don't worry we can turn quite quickly ;-)

E.g. Do you know when you'll get the training wheels off?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kernowlad

Supporter
Supporter
Not yet; will know all when it arrives and I sort things out with my local club. Hopefully fairly soon!

DeciduousDan

Well I finally went for a Ragim Black Bear Recurve, which I got from clickers archery store in Norwich. Very helpful staff and I got to try a range of bows and poundage before getting a 35 pound can't wait to try it out properly :)

DeciduousDan

On another note, whatever bow you get, make sure you get the right spine of arrows. I was shooting with someone who had a 24lb takedown bow, perfectly fine for his needs, and something like 300 spine carbon arrows from eBay. Amazing how good a shot he actually was when he used 1813 aluminium arrows instead.
The shop I got it from made up some arrows to go with it so the spine and draw length are correct one advantage of a real shop over eBay!

AndyW

Haha don't worry we can turn quite quickly ;-)

E.g. Do you know when you'll get the training wheels off?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Did you have to stoop to that Simon? Really? :bomb: Darn, where's there a lignin based jibe when you need one?