Newbie: Spotting Scopes/Binoculars?

kinkychinky

Hi,

Starting on the middle distances (50-60yds/m) and starting to find it difficult to see where my arrows are hitting the target.

Are there any preferences between scope or binocs? What magnifications are minimal/maximum requirement?

My preference would be binocs. One's small enough to take to the shooting line but obviously not too heavy or cumbersome.

One's I could use for 100yds/90m one day (when I'm good enough)

What do you use?

Thanks

kinkychinky

Thanks Dave. I'd read that earlier but was looking for some more info to help me make a decision as to what to go for.

Looks like 20x magnification is minimum which means binocs can prob be ruled out.

Are scopes easy to use without a tripod? or are tripods a must?

Dave

Administrator
Staff member
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
NOCO
kinkychinky - 21/6/2005 9:02 PM Thanks Dave. I'd read that earlier but was looking for some more info to help me make a decision as to what to go for. Looks like 20x magnification is minimum which means binocs can prob be ruled out. Are scopes easy to use without a tripod? or are tripods a must?
</p>

I think from what was said earlier that tripods for a scope are a must and the more expensive the tripod the better! Otherwise you get lots of wind shake and can't see your arrows.</p>

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
kinkychinky - 21/6/2005 9:02 PM

Thanks Dave. I'd read that earlier but was looking for some more info to help me make a decision as to what to go for.

Looks like 20x magnification is minimum which means binocs can prob be ruled out.

Are scopes easy to use without a tripod? or are tripods a must?
Hmm. I don't know. You can probably see better through a good pair of 12X bins, than through a poor 20X scope...

wingate_52

I too bought a 20-60 x 60mm scope off ebay. water resistant body, now covered with an adjusted cagoul sleeve and bungee. It is mounted on an old but solid tripod. I have seen such systems blow over, so use a bungee and tent peg to attach it to the ground. Although most of the time I fasten the strap of my shoulder bag to the support struts and this not only stabilises the tripod, but makes it more vibration resistant. I have a monocular, but it is nowhere near as useful at 40-100 yards.

Archery1st

I've changed from a top of the line spotting scope to? some good quality bino's (10x43) these are light, waterproof, coated lens and cheaper.</p>

The scope is great in helping me to see if the arrow at 90m is touching the line or not, but the bino's allow me to see my group all the way out to 90m without worrying about what score I have (I'll be walking to the target soon anyway and no point in worrying about it till i get there :p )</p>

Also now without the scope/tripod my gear i carry around is lighter, quicker to set up & pack away and no worrying about how am i going to get the scope on the line without getting in someone's way, oh and I also spend less time looking at the arrows and more on making good shots.</p>

Don't go getting higher power bino's as you'll never keep a still picture, and a quick trick is rest the bino's on the top limb tip or cam while holding in one hand, you'll find this a very stable way to use them and very quick too.</p>

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
I've always been a bit wary of Bushnell... no particular reason, but I haven't heard anything (good or bad) about their quality. I do note that they don't seem to feature much on birding websites, which is a warning bell...

I'd probably stick with one of the well known optical names (the Nikons etc of this world). If you can, check for a local birdwatching supplier, and see if you can go along and try a few. Expect to spend as much on the bins as you would on a scope. The "try before you buy" is important, especially if you wear glasses, as it's hard to judge how they'll work with your specs, from the "specs".

kinkychinky

I notice that some spotting scopes have interchangeable eye pieces.

I'm looking at the Opticron Mighty Midget V2 and it's not very clear from the websites, but do you need to order the eye piece seperately?

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
*most* spotting scopes have separate eyepieces. It's only the cheap ones which don't (which includes the bulk of those used for archery spotting! :) )

Whether you need to order an eyepiece separately should be stated on the website (or advertising copy). Sometimes you get eyepieces sold as a package deal with a scope body, but if this is the case, they should say so. Otherwise assume the price is for the body only. If you're buying a separate eyepiece, remember to not get a zoom. You'll get better clarity from a fixed mag eyepiece (especially at the cheap end of things).