Limbs Next Limbs to go for :)

nbuuifx

OK, I posted about next riser and think I got a unanimous vote to stick with what I've got for now!

However limbs are on my list.

The two limbs on my short list based on the fact that I want carbon limbs and something not too expensive are:

SF Elite Carbon Foam Limbs - ?180 new - approx ?100 second hand.

Mybo Synergy Carbon - ?135 new

So I'm after something like the above. I have a 70" bow (so long limbs).

My current limbs are SF Elite Fibre Foam Limbs - 28lbs. However I have quite a long draw length so they are measured at 34.5lbs on the fingers (approx 31.5")

My Tiller bolts are currently would all the way in to give maximum poundage. From memory with the bolts would out 6 turns (max allowed) they were about 28lbs - however at that time my draw length was probably slightly less.

Anyway, I want to get some limbs that aren't much more poundage, but give the option to increase. However I've been told that carbon limbs feel easier to pull, so 34lbs on your fingers with carbon feels lighter than 34lbs with cheaper limbs - is this true?

I'm thinking perhaps 36lbs Carbon limbs would be OK with the tiller bolts back out the full 6 turns. I'm hoping that would feel similar to my current setup, but give room to potentially move up to 42lbs by winding the bolts in. Does that sound correct?

Rog600

I have shot the mybos in 32# and 36# weights at a similar draw length. Yes they're smooth to draw. Get to merlin; ask if you can shoot some arrows using the limbs you're interested in. They're quite heavy though and compared with a (secondhand) higher spec limb (from eBay) slow as a result. I'm a bit of a fan of secondhand kit; makes trying stuff out so much less of a worry! Is there anyone at your club with some long limbs you could try?

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
Carbon lighter on the fingers: no.
The feel is more to do with the design than the materials.

In budget end limbs, it's really hard to guess who might have a decent design. SF has maybe more of a track record - scuttlebutt suggests SF designs are basically the previous generation of W&W. But the usual advice to try them if you can still applies.

nbuuifx

Thanks, I've put a post on here to try and find some second hand ones but nothing close enough yet. What do you think of the sf elite carbon? How do they compare to the Mybo carbon?

nbuuifx

Thanks for the offer, I'm in Staffordshire so not too far from merlin. Just trying to work out the best options so I can work out if it is worth taking a punt on second hand sf elite carbons for around ?100 or if it is worth.spending an extra ?35 and getting the Mybo carbons instead and them being new etc. With warranty. If they are both basically the same then I think I might go for the Mybo limbs. If the sf carbons are better then it might be worth saving a bit and going second hand.

At least with the Mybo limbs I can try them out and see

Rog600

Also to consider, Merlin do a limb trade-in. I'm interested as to why the mybos have been reduced from around ?180 to ?135. They were similarly priced with the SF carbons; wonder if people were preferring the 'name'? At ?135 and a trade-in deal, bit of a easy decision if you want new limbs. BM scores being shot with both. But plenty of good secondhand limbs around. Some MK Mach 3 limbs went for ?260 on eBay the other day.

Try plenty of possible.

- - - Updated - - -

Also to consider, Merlin do a limb trade-in. I'm interested as to why the mybos have been reduced from around ?180 to ?135. They were similarly priced with the SF carbons; wonder if people were preferring the 'name'? At ?135 and a trade-in deal, bit of a easy decision if you want new limbs. BM scores being shot with both. But plenty of good secondhand limbs around. Some MK Mach 3 limbs went for ?260 on eBay the other day.

Try plenty of possible.

mbaker74

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
So if you measured the limbs at 28lb with the bolts wound out your pulling about 28" draw length, the extra weight is due to the limb bolts....
Carbon limbs tend to feel smoother and easier to draw and stack less, but this is generally down to price rather than the carbon content. More expensive limbs are generally smoother and less stacky.
Personally, I would go to merlin, try the Mybo carbons in 36lb and 38lb and see how you go, you will easily be able to shoot 90m with them, there is no "need" to wind them up to get more. The other option, assuming your using a 29-30" arrow is to move down to medium length limbs which will be a bit more snappy....

nbuuifx

My draw length is longer than that. My draw length is something like 31.5". With the bolts all the way in as they are now, I'm on about 34.5lbs. With them all the way out I was on about 28lbs but it was a good while back when I hadn't been shooting long and my draw length increased. However I expect it wasn't far off my current draw length.

My arrow length is 30.5"

adrianms

I shot the SF carbon elites for two years, nothing but praise for them-although they do stack a little right at the end of the draw. One of the archers I shoot with had some Mybo carbons for a while (recovering from a shoulder injury) he thought they were "OK-ish" but preferred the Elites when he tried my limbs by way of comparison. He thought the Mybo limbs stacked a little more & earlier than the SF's.
As to draw weight I started out with a 28lb bow (it's a small club and another club member lent me his spare bow to learn on) After my 6 weeks beginner's course I bought a 70" bow with 32lb limbs & shot that until I started shooting outdoors come spring. I myself also have a 30.5 draw, so 32lb limbs were giving 36lb Otf. Quickly ended up winding the bow upto 38lb for a couple of weeks before buying my SF carbon elites at 36lb & 40lb otf.
Take care moving up your weights, I'm a big lad & have always been very fit (lots of sport from as soon as I could walk, two very sporting parents) you could struggle moving up the poundage too quickly & if you are fighting the limbs you'll struggle to settle into good archer "form".
I'd recommend going up no more than 4lb each step, you can adjust poundage via the tiller bolts if you need be (usually +10 &-5%) but remember that arrows will usually need replacing as you move up poundage as they normally have a limited window in which they work at their best.

nbuuifx

That is why I was aiming to get an overlap. I'm comfortable with 34lbs, so was hoping to move from tiller bolts all the way in on my current limbs to having the bolts out on the next limbs. Hoping this will make it basically feel the same but give scope to move up. My arrows are a bit stiff at the moment so hopefully as I move up they will become better.

adrianms

I still have my SF carbon elites if you are interested. Mine not perfect, a couple of scratches on one limbs from stringing up & the usual marks from fitting to a riser.
If you are interested pm me a mobile number & I can send photos via what's app. I'd want ?85 for them (bought from Aardvark archery ex shop display, no limbs bags)

nbuuifx

Is this right? Are your arrow's point tip are near the button at full draw?
No I don't think it is right!

Looks like I got confused last time I measured! They make it far too complicated!

Arrow length is 30.5". This sits close to the edge of the riser. The ata length adding 1.75" beyond the button is a bit beyond the end of the riser. So draw length is probably just shy of 31" if I'm now working it out right. Perhaps about 30.75"

OK, I posted about next riser and think I got a unanimous vote to stick with what I've got for now!

However limbs are on my list.

The two limbs on my short list based on the fact that I want carbon limbs and something not too expensive are:

SF Elite Carbon Foam Limbs - ?180 new - approx ?100 second hand.

Mybo Synergy Carbon - ?135 new

So I'm after something like the above. I have a 70" bow (so long limbs).

My current limbs are SF Elite Fibre Foam Limbs - 28lbs. However I have quite a long draw length so they are measured at 34.5lbs on the fingers (approx 31.5")

My Tiller bolts are currently would all the way in to give maximum poundage. From memory with the bolts would out 6 turns (max allowed) they were about 28lbs - however at that time my draw length was probably slightly less.

Anyway, I want to get some limbs that aren't much more poundage, but give the option to increase. However I've been told that carbon limbs feel easier to pull, so 34lbs on your fingers with carbon feels lighter than 34lbs with cheaper limbs - is this true?

I'm thinking perhaps 36lbs Carbon limbs would be OK with the tiller bolts back out the full 6 turns. I'm hoping that would feel similar to my current setup, but give room to potentially move up to 42lbs by winding the bolts in. Does that sound correct?
I've got synergy air limbs 36lbs they seem fine n fast my draw is 29inch. Good limbs n only 80bar new.

Stretch

Hi Graeme, just so you are aware this thread is nearly 4 years old and the thread on ArcheryTalk even older.

Great to hear that you like the Mybo’s though (y)

Stretch