Not happy with my outdoor arrows

nbuuifx

I've got a set of ACC arrows which I used for the last outdoor season. I was just OK with them, when I went inside I shot them for a few weeks but then changed to some X7 arrows. My scores shot up with the X7s and I've continued well with them all indoor season.

I just changed back to my ACCs in preparation for the outdoor season. I just can't get them to group as well as the X7s. I realise that over the shorter distance the X7s have an advantage but I'm talking 30 points difference on a Portsmouth.

I've tried some bare shafts and they land left indicating that they are too stiff (I'm right handed). On a Portsmouth face the fletched will go somewhere in or close to the gold, the bareshaft will go left in the blue. The nocks on the fletched arrows sit to the left of the point, so the arrows go in at an angle. The nocks on the bareshaft go to the right of the point, so the nocks end up together in the middle!

According to the Easton charts the arrows should be weak if anything.

I'm pulling 38lbs Recurve and the arrows are approx 29.75" from nock groove to the end of the shaft. 100gn points. XS Wings. From the charts I reckon it shows that I need a 500 or 560 spine ACC. However these are 620s which is the next group down (T6). I have half a dozen 500 spine ACC, and I can get them to tune in but the bareshaft is even further out with these.

The X7s that I shot were 2114 (510 spine) but I did have to put extra weight into the points to weaken them. I can't fully remember the bareshaft test with them but I got it so it was acceptable. The nocks did sit slightly left of the points with these as well but the grouping was much tighter.

I'm looking at getting some ACE or X10 arrows instead but where do I go spine wise? I'm starting to wonder if 670 would be better suited? From the T5 group.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

tan.k.sun.7

Center shot! These barrelled shafts tune better with almost dead centre on the centre shot adjustment. Try moving the centre shot in by about 0.5-1.0mm and try

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
ACCs are not barrelled.
Easton charts are only a guide.
First rule out contact between the passing arrow and the bow, the rest etc - spray footpowder or lipstick is good, liberally on the bow, or talc on the arrow. It'll all a bit messy but if you have contact you'll be absorbing energy (haven't I told you this before) so a weak arrow can show stiff.
Weight the bare shafts at the rear with masking tape the same weight as your fletchings.
Then get back to 30m and tune. Anything less on modern bows gives spurious results. Correct NP first.

If you don't have bow contact and they still show stiff you need to consider your loose - ACCs use tiddly points so can be mean to a poor loose, or catching your bracer. If you cant you bow even a little it will mess with results so keep an eye on this too.

mbaker74

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Got to agree with TT, I bet your getting some contact somewhere. If you had to put heavy points in X7's which are in the same group, would say your ACC's should be a touch stiff though. But loosing that many points on a Portsmouth is not wrong spine arrows alone, sounds like contact.

nbuuifx

I don't seem to be getting any contact. I haven't tested right now but did before swapping to the x7s. I'm tempted to put a bit of weight in the ACC arrows to see if that improves things at all.

On the Portsmouth I was consistently getting in the 560s with the x7s with my pb being 571. With the ACC arrows I'm consistently in the 530s or low 540s with a pb of 556. The 556 pb was a one off though!

My coach hasn't mentioned any problem with the way I loose. I've been working on my release but not for a left to right reason, more to work on not opening my fingers and to follow through nicely. Other than that I've been working on posture ensuring I'm not arching my back.

But even if adding some weight to my ACC arrows does help, it still won't to me which ace or X10 arrows to go for.