On line coaching?

tabashir

Supporter
Supporter
Thanks KC. That is a really good list for anyone thinking of doing online coaching to start with.

As you say, a lot of it will likely never happen. However large part of why lawyers make a tidy sum is down to disputes over something that wasn't thought about or wasn't likely to happen.

I like the Warren Buffett quote. One of my faves which may also be relevant here is from Terry Pratchett:
"Million-to-one chances happen nine times out of ten"

Steve Ruis

Supporter
Supporter
With the current situation likely to continue for some time; I have been thinking of on line coaching as an alternative.
It can be seen as a poor substitute for face to face coaching, but I think differently.
One of the things I have observed over the years has been the way newer archers pick up ideas from more experienced archers. Nothing wrong with that; but often the timing is such that the new idea is presented at a time when the newer archer is shooting a round. Often the "help" is a quick observation, such as, "You dropped your bow arm." Sometimes, there is further help given regarding what to do instead , " You need to keep your bow arm out until the arrow lands in the target."
I suppose it could be said that the advice arrived as a sort of interruption to the archer's shooting.
On line coaching is very different, in the sense that the archer isn't shooting at the time, so any advice can be discussed further.
This allows a two way communication that is often missing when " coaching " happens , unplanned, as the experienced archer was passing by.
What I find with on line coaching is that the archer is in a different mind set when they are away from the shooting line. There is no " pull" to get back to shooting. There is time to get their head round any changes that are required.
There is something else that on line coaching does. It gets the archer into a situation where they have set aside time in order to address an issue.
Setting aside some time in order to learn more, is an important step for an archer to make. It puts the archer into a very different mind set from the one that says they will get better if they just shoot more arrows.
I just wrote a book called "Coach Yourself!" which can also be used as a guide for remote coaching. I will just add to this discussion that one of the advantages to on line coaching is that it can leave a transcript for both archery and coach to review later. When I coach youths face-to-face I often ask them at the end of the session what they have learned. Most can barely remember a few things, which is why I ask them to write things down during the lessons (if they do not have a notebook, I give them one at their first lesson and start instructing them as to how to use it).

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Cheers Steve, I think it is a valuable tool and, like any coaching, needs to be used in such a way that the archer knows they will succeed even if it is in small steps. I also think that the coaching needs to be different enough from " shooting" so the archer knows they in a learning situation and the results will not be seen at the target. They will need to know for themselves that they did it the "right way" rather than the old way. Often, the coach tells them they got it right or not, which is OK up to a point but eventually the archers need to know for themselves; so they can work without the coach and know they are succeeding.

Steve Ruis

Supporter
Supporter
Cheers Steve, I think it is a valuable tool and, like any coaching, needs to be used in such a way that the archer knows they will succeed even if it is in small steps. I also think that the coaching needs to be different enough from " shooting" so the archer knows they in a learning situation and the results will not be seen at the target. They will need to know for themselves that they did it the "right way" rather than the old way. Often, the coach tells them they got it right or not, which is OK up to a point but eventually the archers need to know for themselves; so they can work without the coach and know they are succeeding.
Couldn't agree more!

Big George

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
You could suggest they have a notebook to write down things/questions that might come to them between sessions (I think there was a mention of notebooks on courses somewhere further back on the thread). I’ve found it a useful tool though the origin was from my consultant when was having long term treatment, since adapted to wider use including training.