Over 50's classifications?

inthemiddle

Does anyone know what these are and if as an over 50's archery you have to shoot to these standards. I can't see any sign of this on the AGB site yet?

ArcheryFox

We are really, really close to being done with these (for outdoors)!!
It's been a project that has been going on for over a year now being done entirely by volunteers.
There will be a 50+ classifications category for compound, recurve, barebow, and longbow.

There have been some notable changes to the scheme, and fixing of a number of 'issues' or 'discrepancies' from the old system.
The handicaps have also been re-vamped.

Over all of the age groups, bow-styles, genders there were 576 different classifications that needed setting which shows some of the scale of the project. Never mind the many discussions and debates on changes being made...

We wanted do all of this in a way that is as fair as it can be to everyone, and wanted to get it right which takes time to be careful.

It will hopefully appear soon to come into effect from 1 Jan for the 2023 outdoor season. :)

Whitehart

That's great to hear AF, thank you for all your hard work.

But in this day and age with modern materials and arrows is 50 too early (I know this is a WA thing), should it not be 60+. I say this because the take up of Masters places at shoots is still quite small in the UK and for many tournament organisers an inconvenience - extra targets and medals etc. Hopefully with more recognition of the awards that can be gained it may improve.

Looking at most open shoots the majority of the archers are 50+ still able to shoot regular rounds to a good standard, (quite a lot have more time to practice) I personally certainly feel it is too early to give up shooting 70m etc. and Gents 1440's and have unfinished business with regards to progress badges. I am by no means a super fit person.

The only masters shoot I have ever shot was Nimes before covid, which was a purely financial decision - Nimes is a great tournament but 150 Euro's to enter the main event to end up shooting a Fita 18 - no way was I ever going to be in the top 32 , yet I could still be involved at 50 Euro's still shoot a Fita 18 and have fun and feel part of a big event.

I do appreciate that where ever the bar is set there will be those for and against, so just throwing it out there as in the end it is a personal choice.

LAC Mark

Assuming this is also linked to the 50+ records, I know they can be claimed for metric rounds (I've put a claim in myself), but are imperial rounds also included?

ArcheryFox

50 too early (I know this is a WA thing), should it not be 60+
I know this is a thought shared by many in the 50+ age bracket and, as you say, the 50+ cutoff is set from at the WA level.
I was not involved directly in the age group review, but from speaking to some who were I believe there was a discussion about seeing what uptake is like and reviewing at a later date the possibility of adding 65+ or 70+ categories etc. This is all rumour and blue-sky ideas at the moment though, so don't take it as gospel.

Of course, there is no obligation to enter an event in the 50+ category - you can still compete as a senior in the same way that juniors can compete as seniors if they so wish.

I would say it's certainly worth sharing this feedback with Archery GB.
Whilst lots of people complain about the directions they take on the archery field AGB can't hear this to react.
This was my motivation for getting involved with the classification review process - I didn't agree with a number of the suggestions they were making so wanted to make sure my thoughts (and those of the archers that shared them) were taken into account.

Assuming this is also linked to the 50+ records, I know they can be claimed for metric rounds (I've put a claim in myself), but are imperial rounds also included?
The Rules of Shooting were updated this month regarding age categories and records.
My reading is that 50+ records can be claimed on the 'appropriate' rounds. (e.g. 50+ Gents on a Hereford, 50+ ladies on a Bristol II)
See rule 308.
However, it appears (to my reading at least) that only the Hereford and Bristol II have 50+ records (groups L and M) associated with them, not the rest of the imperial rounds... Not sure if that is an oversight or not...

I hope you mean sex as opposed to gender. I would hate to see that poisonous ideology creep into this sport
I can't tell if you are being facetious or not.
Gender is the wording used in the rules of shooting at present so this work will match that.
Regarding the integration of transgender athletes I believe that the appropriate treatment would be to separate by gender, not by sex, alongside a fair policy for transgender inclusion.
Whilst this is an important point to discuss, think about and make serious progress with, I will preface that I'm not going to be drawn into unpleasant debates on an Internet forum. This is also off-topic for the thread which is about age categories.

ArcheryFox

To answer the second part of the original post - if you are over 50 and get the requisite scores on the requisite rounds for the senior classification then you can claim the senior classification.
You will not be forced to claim the 50+ one.

How archery software like Golden Records and Archr will deal with these multiple possibilities I don't know, but that's not my problem...

ArcheryFox

The 50+ GMB score will be lower standard (i.e. higher handicap) than the Senior GMB score, and also available from the shorter 50+ rounds.
Whilst 50+ feels low to many, it is 50-100+. That's why those who are able to will still be able to claim senior classifications if they so wish.

e.g. If GMB senior gent recurve is 1268 on a 90m WA1440, GMB 50+ gent recurve would be 1254 on a 70m WA1440 or 1211 on a 90m WA1440. And you could claim either provided you are 50+ and meet the criteria.

vixen1500

Hoping the new classification might mean I will be able to improve mine. Shooting only 24# means I have to reverse my sight to get 60yds, no chance of reaching 70mts.

pete1968

Is there any news on when the classifications & handicaps will be out yet. I understand that it's a lot of work, but I though they were being published in November so everyone could be ready for Jan 1st.

ArcheryFox

AGB went pretty quiet mid-November, I assume in the run-up to National Indoors.
I believe plan is for comms to now go out early January.
Not ideal as it will be after the 'start date', but hopefully there won't have been too many archers doing outdoor shoots by then. :/
We've also been trying to work with Golden Records and ExpertArcher (the only 2 apps that replied to us) to help get their software ready.

Rabid Hamster

Ironman
As someone who will benefit ... I thoroughly approve of this and am eagerly waiting publication!

ps: In the spirit of friendly banter ... to everyone else who doesnt ...... a Nelson like "HA HA!"
;) 🥃

Nelson - YouTube

Rabid Hamster

Ironman
AGB went pretty quiet mid-November, I assume in the run-up to National Indoors.
I believe plan is for comms to now go out early January.
Not ideal as it will be after the 'start date', but hopefully there won't have been too many archers doing outdoor shoots by then. :/
We've also been trying to work with Golden Records and ExpertArcher (the only 2 apps that replied to us) to help get their software ready.
Its now mid january ..................... Is it here yet? Is it here yet? Is it here yet? ;)

ArcheryFox

I'm reliably informed Monday afternoon, though you didn't hear it from me ;)
It's been killing me this last fortnight trying to sort a website making all of this info easily available (watch this space).*

*The info is already online if you know where to look ;)