Pay & play

Sleepy82

Just wondering if there is such a thing? If so, where? And do you need anything to go (certification, membership of governing bodys etc)?

The rifle club I'm in has it's own course but it's nothing special really and I'd like to try somewhere new, with longer ranges and more to go at - without needing to join a different club.

I've been shooting for around 30 years, mostly rifles, and spent half my life on various ranges. Including a couple of years at international level. So, range safety / discipline come pretty naturally to me but I'm no longer interested in shooting competitively (we are still talking about 3d archery, just giving a bit of background) - so, although going to matches just to shoot different courses would be an option it's more of a last resort to me

Sleepy82

Ooh, I was hoping someone would say that! I'm in lincoln but work near Mansfield. Happy to travel within reason though

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Ah, I know of one in Wales. However, I suspect a google will bring something up

Senlac

Supporter
Supporter
Unlike rifle shooting, it's legal in the UK to shoot arrows on any private land. So if you want to shoot arrows, you can do so in your home, your garage, your garden, a local farmer's field, etc. etc. - so long as you take reasonable precautions. I.e. between such private domains, and clubs, there is no need for Pay & Play?

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
And have permission from the landowner. Although it's not exactly sociable.

Sleepy82

I have land i can shoot on, it was more the fun of doing different 3d courses i had in mind though, talking to new people etc.

all I could find online were "experiences" for stag/hen do's etc, not really what I'm looking for

where abouts in Wales toad? I may be willing, for a change of scenery

Riceburner

That looks perfect! Thankyou

If anyone knows of any others though, let me know please
Look up the 'Open' competitions that most clubs organise. Unless you're on very weird work schedules (you don't say), then you should be able to shoot round most courses in the country on any given Sunday morning.

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Look up the 'Open' competitions that most clubs organise. Unless you're on very weird work schedules (you don't say), then you should be able to shoot round most courses in the country on any given Sunday morning.
A good point but wouldn't that require membership of the relevant association, though?

Senlac

Supporter
Supporter
A good point but wouldn't that require membership of the relevant association, though?
If you have AGB membership via one club, any other club in the country should allow you to shoot as a visitor, maybe paying a small fee.

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
If you have AGB membership via one club, any other club in the country should allow you to shoot as a visitor, maybe paying a small fee.
Yes, but I got the impression that sleepy wasn't a member of any associations?

Sleepy82

No, not that I know of - I'll ask, I may be an affiliate member and not know

As for weird work patterns..... 5 on 3 off nights so, sometimes a bit of a problem committing to things

jonnyboyws6

Look up Elsham Activity Centre at Barnetby top - half hour down the A15 from you

It is their own facility, so you don't need to be affiliated to any association. Sounds like you're an experienced shooter who can demonstrate an understanding of range safety, so assuming you have your own equipment, they will probably let you join as an archery member and use the 3D course and target range at any time

They work on an annual membership + target fee basis, and it's pretty small (I think something like £25 + £4?) This suits me down to the ground due to work commitments like yourself, and since discovering the place I've given up on archery clubs and governing bodies which don't represent my interests

Shirt

EFAA and NFAS clubs will not let you just turn up and play unless you're a member of their association. The insurance (although it comes from the same place for all of the UK organisations) is a bit unhelpful on this one.

Sleepy82

Thanks again, I'll keep looking - I guess it's just not something with a particularly big following in the uk (Or near lincolnshire at least)

Elsham's close enough to home, I've seen the target bosses out in the field but never seen anyone using them - is the £4 each time you go?

chrisgas

Supporter
Supporter
[QUOTE="jonnyboyws6, post: 819434,
They work on an annual membership + target fee basis, and it's pretty small (I think something like £25 + £4?)
[/QUOTE]

Sounds like a great deal, £4 per shoot has to be a steal, when golfers are quite happy to part with £70 + for a game of golf. A cheap sport.