[English Longbow] Permitted loose style Longbow

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
The handicap method would be better, but for those who haven't yet shot for a handicap; and for those who don't have the tables around at the time of the shoot, it means a result can be had as soon as they finish shooting.

Corax67

I have shot in a local indoor competition run by Allington Castle next to two junior archers who wee both using trigger releases in conjunction with recurve bows. Both were members of CEDAK - Centre of Excellence for Disabled Archery in Kent - and on starting up a conversation with the dad of one of the lads he explained his son suffers from muscular distrophy and does not have the hand strength to be able to pull a bowstring off the fingers even with the light limbs his bow was fitted with.

The wrist release allows the lad to draw normally and release the shot with very little trigger pressure which is perfect for him.

I have no idea what form of handicap allowances the host club applied for these archers scores to be rationalised against other junior recurves but I know I would rather see them competing with a release than not being involved in archery at all.

Karl

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
I have no idea what form of handicap allowances the host club applied for these archers scores to be rationalised against other junior recurves but I know I would rather see them competing with a release than not being involved in archery at all.
I agree. First let them shoot. Sort out the allowances as and when.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
I agree. First let them shoot. Sort out the allowances as and when.

Phil Sheffield

No one is stopping anyone doing anything!
Shoot whatever you like...
Who cares what class it is put in?
It is about participation and competing against yourself....
enough already!
Del
This is the best answer I've seen.
I only really shoot against myself
I do take part in some In-Club events and to date no-one has been small minded enough to object to the way anyone else shoots or what arrows they use.
The only exception being is that as we shoot on a sports field we do not use or permit the use of All carbon arrows. There has to my knowledge never been an issue with that.

When it comes down to it for any given shot where you place which of your fingers on the string is your own business and it can not offer any real advantage if everyone else has the same freedom

As for arrow types as I believe that as far as most people are concerned if its an arrow its an arrow.

If you want to use a release then do so if you want to use sights with a lens or lenses do so. Its your time and your gear.

If someone else wants to be a 'purist' let them and leave them be.

If you enter national or any other competitions being run under rules set by anyone of the various bodies then you wil have to adhere to them. If you don't like their rules many of which being antiquated and serve little or no purpose then don't shoot under their rules.... shoot for yourself.... and if you want lobby the dinosaurs for change ..good luck with that

Corax67

There is a minor drawback in what you say Phil;

whilst finger position isn't critical the use of releases and lenses on bows that do not under the conventional 'rules' permit such devices does have an impact if it allows the archer to achieve scores higher than those they might be expected to reach using 'standard' equipment. The same goes for arrows, a carbon-aluminium is a big advantage over a wooden shaft.

If they are not seeking to submit any stores for classification status or maybe club records then fine but if they do wish to do so they may gain an unfair advantage.

Your time/your gear is fine to a point.

Karl

Phil Sheffield

There is a minor drawback in what you say Phil;

whilst finger position isn't critical the use of releases and lenses on bows that do not under the conventional 'rules' permit such devices does have an impact if it allows the archer to achieve scores higher than those they might be expected to reach using 'standard' equipment. The same goes for arrows, a carbon-aluminium is a big advantage over a wooden shaft.

If they are not seeking to submit any stores for classification status or maybe club records then fine but if they do wish to do so they may gain an unfair advantage.

Your time/your gear is fine to a point.

Karl
I wish to neither criticise you comments or get into an argument about them.

I stick to what I said about what fingers are placed where..
When it comes down to it for any given shot where you place which of your fingers on the string is your own business and it can not offer any real advantage if everyone else has the same freedom

I think we shall just have to take the civilised approach and agree to differ on this.

I was only asking really why anyone should feel so strongly about such a trivial matter as personal preference in regard to this topic, that they would have written rules to make others can only take part in competitions the same way as they do.

I was wondering why it could possibly matter and then following some off forum discussion I'm moved to agree with the thinking that like a possible reason for the creation of a lot of rules it was probably because someone with a rod up his proverbial and a superiority complex and too much influence .. was beaten by someone that put their fingers in a different place to himself.

it just seems controlling to the point of being pedantic and appears to be that nobody knows the justification for it. If anyone iwass allowed to do it then the playing field would as they say remain level.

Corax67

Read my post properly please Phil - I clearly say that "finger position isn't critical".

We all shoot to the same set of rules which are the best attempt at providing a fair and equal playing field for all. They may not be perfect or always understandable but they are what we have to abide by, like it or not, if we want to enter competitions.

You might as well ask why a darts oche is 9 feet 7 1/4 inches away from the board - it just is because the British darts federation said so back in the day and everyone in the world shoots to that rule.

Karl