Personality wars..

wully

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Following on from wott I wrote on the shout box.

Is archery particularly bad for folk falling out? The reason I ask is there seems to be a fair few vendettas going about- I know people who won’t shoot with someone they dislike even leaving a club so they’d never meet them. When I was involved in organising a competition I was asked “ I’m not entering unless you can guarantee I won’t have to shoot with so-and-so”
Seems to be a lot of it about?

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
That's just people? I didn't think archery is any worse than other limited participation groups...

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
I don't think that it's special to archery.

When I was into classic cars the scene was awash with duplicate car clubs serving the same models that only existed because at one point in the past some people didn't like some others in the club or didn't like the way the club was run or there was a perceived insult in the past or etc etc. Substitute in any other special interest groups - they're all the same. All totally counter productive but unfortunately its the way people are.

Monty Python mocked it in the '70s - Judean Popular Front / Popular Front of Judea.

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
I mean I can only think of one person I refuse to shoot with and have asked to be kept far away from as possible... but they are a misogynist, borderline racist, and a bit of a dick and apparently punching people at a shoot is a really good way to lose your membership 😂

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Hmmm, there's a couple of people I won't shoot with. For much the same reasons as Bimble states. And these days I don't have to put up with people who behave like three year olds if they don't get their own way *every* time.

Shirt

It's not a particularly bad sport for people not getting on with each other.
But as usual, the people involved in that sort of sh*te feel the need to loudly announce it and make sure everyone knows, and so it's easily perceived as a much bigger deal than it is.

It also seems to be more prevalent in some geographical areas than others - I've often wondered whether if you get an area where this sort of rubbish happens, people see it as "the way things are" and it becomes self-sustaining.

English Bowman

I personally don't think that archery is any worse than any other area of life. In over 30 years of shooting I've met 3 people who I didn't want to shoot with again. One was a junior so I'll give him a second chance now he's had a chance to grow up. One was a newly qualified coach who spent the whole weekend of an AGB field shoot telling me what I was doing wrong and how I could improve, on that weekend I shot two new National records, and they put in less than a tenth of my score. The last was someone who I put in an official complaint about as he was ignoring safety rules, fortunately he left the shoot half way through the day, and I think he was banned from ever attending again, the ban may have extended to all AGB shoots.
On the other side of the coin I have met so many friends who I look forward to meeting at shoots and hope that I get to shoot with again I wouldn't like to attempt to count them, so my conclusion is that there are more good than bad people in the sport.

Rabid Hamster

Ironman
there are people I will not shoot with. reasons vary. one who is a nice bloke will not shut up ever. then theres the fact I can do without snide comments and blatant backstabbing from a couple of others. there are also a couple of people where the reasons are ... complicated.
outside of that ... banter, be funny or even know some good archery goss and you are welcome on my target.

Tech-50

I mean I can only think of one person I refuse to shoot with and have asked to be kept far away from as possible... but they are a misogynist, borderline racist, and a bit of a dick and apparently punching people at a shoot is a really good way to lose your membership 😂
I think I may know that person ! ;o)