Phooeys Tales From Astride The Line

HongKongPhooey

Supporter
Supporter
So inspired by (nicked the idea from) LionofNarnia
here shall begin some barely coherent ramblings on my progress from shiny faced Padawan to jedilike master of the target discipline, ok so I'll settle for relatively competent archer but that doesn't really have the same ring to it.

I suppose we should start with the specs of my arrow flinging instrument of supreme (in)accuracy
WNS Axiom 25" riser
Mybo Synergy Star 28lb limbs
Cartel Focus sight
fast flight pro string
and recently added an Avalon tyro 28" long rod

The pointy flying things
Easton tribute 1716 shafts with whatever Merlin uses as standard for fletching, nocks and the business end

And finally my best guess at current draw length and weight as I know its changed even in the few weeks I've been shooting
I think I'm drawing around 27" which with the rough guide of 2lb per inch extrapolated from initial setup figures would give 28/29lbs, will have to get this checked properly at some point.

the first real instalment of this saga would possibly be a balmy Tuesday evening in the wilds of Northamptonshire where two weeks after completing the beginners course I decided to have a trial run at a 30yd 252, didn't end too disgracefully with 213 points.
next up a club comp where I shall feel rather like Gulliver shooting slightly out of my age bracket a short junior national but the weather, luck and my not exactly eagle eyes permitting there is the possibility of that 30yd 252 being my first achievement of note.
I will post the result even if it turns out I get totally trounced by archers younger than some of my socks :arc:
Matt

LionOfNarnia

Supporter
Supporter
Good on ya HKP :D

I did hope to inspire others to do this, glad it happened - it'll keep my game sharp too ;)

Just one thang, if your draw is 27" then you take 2# OFF your weight, so 28 - 2 = 26#

HongKongPhooey

Supporter
Supporter
Good on ya HKP :D

I did hope to inspire others to do this, glad it happened - it'll keep my game sharp too ;)

Just one thang, if your draw is 27" then you take 2# OFF your weight, so 28 - 2 = 26#
I?m not so sure tbf it?s an ilf and from checking the limb bolts it doesn?t look like an awful lot of adjustment is left so possibly in the upper poundage range for those limbs, I?m shooting comfortably with it for now so when it gets too easy I?ll get it checked and work from there
Matt

LionOfNarnia

Supporter
Supporter
Well, it's pretty much a given that the more you train/shoot, the bigger poundage you'll be able to handle - but that does not mean you should!

The only numbers that really count aren't on the kit, they're embedded in the boss ;)

chuffalump

Oooh! A ratings war.

If I did one of these general progress threads it would be called "What was that? How did that happen? Did anyone see what I did there?"

HongKongPhooey

Supporter
Supporter
Oooh! A ratings war.

If I did one of these general progress threads it would be called "What was that? How did that happen? Did anyone see what I did there?"
He he wait till I get out to 40 or 50 yards then this thread will be all about ?did anyone see where that went?? and ?erm sorry about that, I?m supposed to be on the next target? :)

Finch

I will follow your progress with interest, thanks for sharing!

Just as a point of interest, did you know that there's "blogs" in the top bar of the website where you can write regularly without having to find your old post to update regularly?

HongKongPhooey

Supporter
Supporter
I will follow your progress with interest, thanks for sharing!

Just as a point of interest, did you know that there's "blogs" in the top bar of the website where you can write regularly without having to find your old post to update regularly?
Thanks Finch I?ll have a look at that
Matt

HongKongPhooey

Supporter
Supporter
I didn?t add up the final score for my short junior national, I?ll wait for results to be posted but a bit gutted at missing the 30 yard 252 by 4 points grrrr, oh well maybe next time
Matt

HongKongPhooey

Supporter
Supporter
Well the results have been released for the club comp and 510 out of 648for a junior short national isn?t bad I guess for having been shooting a couple of months and apparently I now hold the club record for a senior gent, granted I?m the first one ever to do it but still a records a record and will be trying to beat that score and get my 30yd 252 in the next round in 2 weeks
Matt

brman

Sounds good!

I am in a very similar position to you - shooting a couple of months and with a 28lb ish bow (in my case 26lb limbs but a 29" draw). So I will be watching your progress with interest!

Unfortunately my club is not too good on awards like the 252 and club competitions but I guess I can do my own, unofficial, scoring to see how I compare. Maybe I will be able to persuade them to buy some badges if I do ok ;)

HongKongPhooey

Supporter
Supporter
Sounds good!

I am in a very similar position to you - shooting a couple of months and with a 28lb ish bow (in my case 26lb limbs but a 29" draw). So I will be watching your progress with interest!

Unfortunately my club is not too good on awards like the 252 and club competitions but I guess I can do my own, unofficial, scoring to see how I compare. Maybe I will be able to persuade them to buy some badges if I do ok ;)
Thanks
That must be somewhat frustrating for You, if it?s the only option then go for it, it may help you see some improvement. I?m using it as a guide to my progression or lack there of, and just now thinking I?m bloody lucky to have joined a club with great support for novices all the way through
Matt

brman

Thanks
That must be somewhat frustrating for You, if it?s the only option then go for it, it may help you see some improvement. I?m using it as a guide to my progression or lack there of, and just now thinking I?m bloody lucky to have joined a club with great support for novices all the way through
Matt
It is a great club, very friendly and lots of coaching support for beginners like me. There are also a few guys who do a lot of competition but, from what I have seen so far, not so great for starting out in competitions etc. A small price to pay for the help I have had so far and I suspect the help will be there when I finally want to get serious.

Actually, last night one of the guys suggested I did what they do (he is on target for his GMB this year I think) - plan a certain number of arrows for working on form then a 2nd set for scoring to measure my progress. That way I will be able to work on my form properly without worrying that it is affecting my scores. Up to now I have been scoring every end and getting frustrated I am not quite making that 252 at 40yds because my grouping is off centre because I have changed something ;)

Anyway, I am hijacking your thread so I will shut up now and wait for your next update :)

HongKongPhooey

Supporter
Supporter
It is a great club, very friendly and lots of coaching support for beginners like me. There are also a few guys who do a lot of competition but, from what I have seen so far, not so great for starting out in competitions etc. A small price to pay for the help I have had so far and I suspect the help will be there when I finally want to get serious.

Actually, last night one of the guys suggested I did what they do (he is on target for his GMB this year I think) - plan a certain number of arrows for working on form then a 2nd set for scoring to measure my progress. That way I will be able to work on my form properly without worrying that it is affecting my scores. Up to now I have been scoring every end and getting frustrated I am not quite making that 252 at 40yds because my grouping is off centre because I have changed something ;)

Anyway, I am hijacking your thread so I will shut up now and wait for your next update :)
It?s Not hijacking it?s sharing potentially useful information and tips so please don?t be shy.
I?m still playing at 30yds mainly trying for nice right groups and working in form, only occasionally worrying about scores although if I nail the 252 in the comp I?ll start scaring the boss at 40.
Oh yeah need to spend some time at 20yds tomorrow too, need new sight settings due to being coached into better form

chuffalump

First get a nice right group. Then worry about where it is on the target. A reliable nice right group in the same place every time can be moved to the gold with a sight adjustment.

Improve your reliability and the 252s look after themselves.

You can also shoot at smaller targets. Last weekend I was shooting at a gold centre from a 40cm target at 40 yards. Not that easy for me to hit but very easy to feel the wild shots.

Bit of a ramble but heh? Friday night. Few glasses of wine. Hard week at work.

brman

First get a nice right group. Then worry about where it is on the target.
Funnily enough I was saying exactly that to my daughter a few nights ago. So I obviously learnt something on my beginners course :)

Trouble is, it is harder to do than say which is why the guys had me shooting a blank boss at a few meters last night. Felt very weird at first but it definitely helped prevent that gold fixation.

Corax67

If you want to cure a gold fixation take up longbow - we never even think of the gold, it’s a joy just to hit the boss ��

Karl

chuffalump

Another possibility is to shoot the first arrow at, more or less, random. Then aim at that arrow for the rest of the end.

brman

Another possibility is to shoot the first arrow at, more or less, random. Then aim at that arrow for the rest of the end.
I might try that.

Karl: I am not sure about a longbow but I have just ordered a flatbow for my wife's birthday. Not sure if I will be allowed to shoot it though..... ;)

HongKongPhooey

Supporter
Supporter
Been a little busy but here?s the latest progress update.
Have started playing a little at 40yards with mixed results mainly due to my inconsistent form, and some happy news nailed my 30yd 252 yesterday at the club comp.
Not for me the breezing past it with flair and elan, to avoid showing off I scored bang on 252 :)
Also beat my own Short junior national PB by 12 points so some progress on consistency.
Next up start playing with the big boys at 50 & 40 ready for an over ambitious attempt at a short national in the club open
Matt