Pin Set Up

jerryRTD

I am goming to try field shooting, and I would like to know what distances I should set the pins up for on my sight?

Haywain

Will all depend on what sort of field shooting you are going to do. Marked or unmarked distances. As you can see, for one you will still have to guess for the most part. However, dependent on how many pins you have, try evenly spaced between 15 and 50 yards to start with and work out what you prefer from there.

Someone else might be able to offer more options.

Field Archer

Here's alternative idea.
Set the lowest pin to, or just short of furthest distance you think you may be shooting, then set the highest to around 20 metres. Now evenly space the remaining pins between the two set ones. Go out and shoot using these pins to find out what they are set to. You can either leave them as they are, or you might like to move them slightly so that they are on easier to remember distance, e.g. if one gives, say 43 metres, you could move it to either 40 or 45 metres.
For shorter than 20 metres to where your sight marks change direction, you would put your top pin just below the target.

Seddy

Field archery pin setting

Why would you need more than one movable pin? I have been shooting field for more than 40 years and find that one pin is sufficient. You need marks on your sight from 10 - 60 Metres in increments of 5 metres. If you are shooting FITA, the unmarked faces are set out between known distances, with a bit of practice you will soon get to know the range of each target.