Please change the rule book

KidCurry

AIUK Saviour
Okay, I know why it's there and using the pronoun 'his' 39 times in the rules of shooting is probably behind the times. What did surprise me was the pronoun 'her' is also used. However it is only used twice, when associated with supervising children or assisting the visually impaired. I think this stereotypical position should really be changed now as it is outdated and really embarrassing for this sport.

Last edited:

Kernowlad

Supporter
Supporter
Totally agree.
Nice to see a decent number of well informed folk on here.
I’ve seen a little too much of old fashioned attitudes spoiling it for others in “offline (!)” archery.

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
though both rules in case do say his/her as opposed to just her...

103c(ii) Provided that they are an adult member (excluding honorary members) of Archery GB, one parent/guardian alone may supervise his/her own child(ren).
1202(g) A VI archer shall only approach the target when accompanied by his/her spotter or with the express consent of the Judge. (Safety issue)

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
I'm sure "they", "their" etc is as practical and sensible in every application.

Mind you, AGfillpinB aren't the only dinosaurs, I had a Facebook survey today about the effects of Coronavirus that asked me if I was male or female, not even the choice of "prefer not to say" which was offered in other questions, and asked other heavily gendered questions about household/worklife balance. So they got told what I thought, too.

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Mind you, AGfillpinB aren't the only dinosaurs, I had a Facebook survey today about the effects of Coronavirus that asked me if I was male or female, not even the choice of "prefer not to say" which was offered in other questions, and asked other heavily gendered questions about household/worklife balance. So they got told what I thought, too.
Well I haven't seen the survey, but it is true that coronavirus has a different effect upon those who are genetically male and genetically female so there may have been a legitimate reason for asking...

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
This was based on the economic effects of the virus - so dear old FB could sell me more sh!t. Nothing whatsoever to do with health effects or genetics.

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
This was based on the economic effects of the virus - so dear old FB could sell me more sh!t. Nothing whatsoever to do with health effects or genetics.
Yes, it occurred to me after I posted that a Facebook survey probably wasn't going to be heavy on science.

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
Well I haven't seen the survey, but it is true that coronavirus has a different effect upon those who are genetically male and genetically female so there may have been a legitimate reason for asking...
Isn't that hormonal, rather than genetic? I saw something suggested about giving men HRT to help them over it...

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Last I heard, they were still trying to figure out if it was genetic, hormonal, lifestyle, environmental or something else. But anyway, it's not why TwitFace was asking ... 🤑💰🤑

assybish

Isn't that hormonal, rather than genetic? I saw something suggested about giving men HRT to help them over it...
It could be either or both .. there is no research evidence just conjecture based of stats and as ever hormones are thought of 1st whereas we biologists would say what about XX vs XY ! makes a huge difference to immune response .