Poundage change and Bare shaft Tuning

A16KSB

Hi everyone

A bow (say 40lbs otf), shoots bare shafts weak.
Winding the poundage down to 38lbs groups them with the fletched shafts.
The archer want to go back to 40lb, so the shafts need to be cut.
Is there a direct link between how much to cut and the 2lbs difference?
I think I've seen something online in the past but may be wrong.

KidCurry

AIUK Saviour
I've seen it from time to time. But I would say ignore it and cut a little bit at a time, max 5mm each cut. A little goes a long way. You could even add a strand of two to the string to effectively stiffen the arrow.

A16KSB

I've seen it from time to time. But I would say ignore it and cut a little bit at a time, max 5mm each cut. A little goes a long way. You could even add a strand of two to the string to effectively stiffen the arrow.
Thanks,
Yes, that's what I've always done and would be my final approach, but just wanted to know the science behind it

Stretch

What KidCurry said. Theoretically you can follow the chart for your shafts. If the span on the selection chart is 5# and the length change for the chart is 1“ then your manufacturer is saying 1” = 5# so 0.5” = 2.5#. So theoretically again, with this correlation you’d need to cut about 10mm.

But as said above, a little bit at a time Is way safer and cutting 3 shafts 5mm and testing would be the safer path. Especially as it varies from shaft to shaft and age of shaft - especially with barrelled shafts near max cut.

Stretch

A16KSB

Thanks Stretch / KidCurrey,
That explanation makes sense, as stated above I always cut a bit at a time, but now I understand more.