Practice for 90M

MikeD

Can anyone suggest anything that might help practice 90M? It is not always possible to get a boss set at 90M on club nights (as long walks slow things down for beginners shooting 30M) and although I can get 90M at the field club, I'm reluctant as missed arrows can be hard to find.

I'm thinking it must be possible to shoot at a raised boss at very close range with the sight set for 90 and an aiming point that is at an appropriate height. I'm don't know what the appropriate height would be, or how high the boss would need to be to prevent holes in the wall.

I'm also not sure whether this would be of any benefit...

robbo

not sure about the height thing, but set a boss up at 50m with an 80cm face on. Your accuracy will need to be good at 50m to score well (a lot of peoples bogey distance).

It's said that shooting at 50m on an 80cm face is roughly the same as shooting at 90m with a 122cm face (on a calm day anyway).

judging by my current scores, my 50m is only slightly better than my 90m, just lacking the consistency at 90m.

...or go for it big time and wack a 60cm face on at 50m

MikeD

robbo said:
...or go for it big time and wack a 60cm face on at 50m
I can practice with 65cm face at 80 yards on the field course and can get better groups on that target than on a 122cm face!

I was thinking more about practicing the posture changes, cos I have a wussy 36lb draw weight and my arrows collect ice on the way :cheerful: I seem to lose vertical grouping between 70M and 90M and wonder if this is in part due to incorrect alignment at the longer distance.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
It sounds like you want to replicate the posture required to shoot 90m while having the boss close to you.
If that is correct, I would set your sight at the 90m setting and aim at a mark that is at your chin height(probably red/blue above the gold on a 122cm face)
As there is a risk that you could shoot over the boss, start at very close range(3 or4 yds) and aim down at the red/ blue below the gold first. If that lands close to low red/blue aim higher, a colour at a time, till you are aiming at red/blue above the gold.
If you can get someone to watch the first shots, even better.
IF the 90m sight setting gives low impacts when aiming at high re/blue, walk back a yard and try again. Repeat until they land where you are aiming.

MikeD

geoffretired said:
It sounds like you want to replicate the posture required to shoot 90m while having the boss close to you.
If that is correct, I would set your sight at the 90m setting and aim at a mark that is at your chin height(probably red/blue above the gold on a 122cm face)
As there is a risk that you could shoot over the boss, start at very close range(3 or4 yds) and aim down at the red/ blue below the gold first. If that lands close to low red/blue aim higher, a colour at a time, till you are aiming at red/blue above the gold.
If you can get someone to watch the first shots, even better.
IF the 90m sight setting gives low impacts when aiming at high re/blue, walk back a yard and try again. Repeat until they land where you are aiming.
Thanks Geoff that's exactly what I'm after. It does not matter too much where the arrows land on the boss, just as long as they don't end up in the wall :) The idea is to get the feel of the shot rather than for accuracy.

Sounds like if I put a target pin in the boss at shoulder height that will give me the correct angle with sight at 90M.

I have a foam boss and if I put it on its side it is less likely to damage arrows going in at funny angle.

whisky

Supporter
Supporter
If the problem is with slowing up the shooting and one of improving technique why not think about a Foremaster? You could still set the target up at 90m so you have something to aim at but on loosing an arrow it will only go a couple of feet in front of you.

Sling-it

Don't set your sight at 90 and shoot 50. Hang a piece of tape out from your sight bar at about the same location for your 50 M mark. Set a target at 50M, and aim for it with the 90M pin. Take not of where your piece of tape hits the target at. That's how much you raise your target, and just aim and shoot at 50M with the 50M setting. It gives you the aiming practice, and lets you see your groups at the same time.

Our nations top shooter uses this at his home to practice all the time. The height of the bow arm does make a difference. Nice elevated platform with a target on it.

joetapley

MikeD

Think you answered your own question. (Assuming you don't have a hoist and ladder to raise the target :) ).

Set your sight for 90m, stand a couple of metres in front of the target, aim at the centre of the boss and shoot. See how far the arrow hits above centre. Repeat moving back until the arrow hits safely somewhere near the top but unlikely to go over. How far back you end up from the target depends on your arrow speed - my guess would be somewhere around 5 -15 metres. Next you need a target which gives the same visual picture as a 122cm face at 90m so it will be somewhere around 10cm diameter (print one sized appropriate to the target distance). The target goes in the centre of the boss, the arrrows hit near the top of the boss so the target is everlasting.

The only draw back is that the distance is so short that the arrows smash together so an alternative is to print say 6 gold spots or targets on an A4 sheet and aim one arrow per spot. Put an A4 sheet at the right height above the target sheet so the arrows hit them - this will give some indication of groups. (Once you have the distance and geometry sorted you can just turn a 122cm face around and mark spots at the right places).

MikeD

joetapley said:
MikeD

Think you answered your own question. (Assuming you don't have a hoist and ladder to raise the target :) ).

Set your sight for 90m, stand a couple of metres in front of the target, aim at the centre of the boss and shoot. See how far the arrow hits above centre. Repeat moving back until the arrow hits safely somewhere near the top but unlikely to go over.
I managed to shoot 90M outdoors last night :cheerful: and saw a significant improvement on the second 3 dozen. Still only managed to shoot 6 dozen arrows on a club night though :thumbsdow (I think we need to start 4 minute timed ends...)

I still think the indoor practice is worth following up and I like the idea of the small targets.

robc

A simpler approach to help with the body position, would be just to do practice without an arrow, but with the sight set to the position for what ever distance you wish to work on. Rob