Problem with points/inserts for Easton axis FMJ 300

misstheboss1973

Hi all. New to the forum so thanks in advance...its a great site!

im relatively new to archery but recently bought a bear anarchy compound 60-70lb for informal target & 3D/field shooting. After lots of research on arrows I decided to try the Easton axis FMJs in 300 spine based on strength, durability, small diameter & gpi. I bought just a couple of shafts to fletch and add inserts & points to until the new bow was set up properly. I then ran into a 'problem'...

The shafts came with the deep 6 rps inserts (my choice as have read bad things about the HIT inserts. I also bought the Easton deep 6 field points to go with them (the ones with the bulge). After screwing in I noticed that the diameter of the rear of the point (the rear of the bulge) is smaller than the arrow diameter. Is this ok? It looks a bit weird...

So I seem to have a few options...

a) Ignore it. It's not s problem and won't affect arrow or target wear (or accuracy).

b) Buy a set with the HIT inserts and fit standard 9/32 rps points (good as will have choice of point weights. But heard lots about split shafts/mushrooming with the HIT)

c) look for a different low diameter shaft. Like the look of the injexions but no one seems to sell them in the UK.

d) Try ordering the Easton points (from abroad) in a different size. I notice the points are available as DP6-5 and DP6-4. And in a 125g option. Anyone have any experience of these and know which matches the 300 axis shaft?

Your thoughts would be very welcome. Many thanks :)

Attachments

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
I have shot FMJ with the HIT system and never had a problem. Most arrows were damaged at the nock ends.
It looks like the points are suited to smaller diameter shafts; usually the fit at the shaft is flush and the bulge is wider than the shaft.

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
I use FMJ 500s with HIT points for target and field and like Geoff have never had an issue with the ends of the arrows mushrooming no matter what I hit.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
The nocks do get damaged I find; something to do with leaving the back of the arrows sticking out of the boot before closing it.

ThomVis

That does look like the wrong diameter point in that insert. The insert on my 2315 is wider than the point, but that insert tapers towards it, yours doesn't.

misstheboss1973

I have shot FMJ with the HIT system and never had a problem. Most arrows were damaged at the nock ends.
It looks like the points are suited to smaller diameter shafts; usually the fit at the shaft is flush and the bulge is wider than the shaft.
That's what I thought mate. The rear of the point should match the diameter of the shaft. Happy to try the HIT on recommendation but why do Easton's parts not match as standard (especially when sold as a 'package' by a very well known archery retailer)?

- - - Updated - - -

That does look like the wrong diameter point in that insert. The insert on my 2315 is wider than the point, but that insert tapers towards it, yours doesn't.
I agree. Bit confusing. Thanks for your comment :)

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Perhaps the package does work properly but a mistake was made with the points. In other words there are points that would suit your shafts, but the wrong ones were sent