Quality Scopes and tripods

wingate_52

30 year old u-section Cullmann Tripod/monopod centre with pan and tilt often pegged via bungee to the ground. Inexpensive 20-60 x 60 ebay scope. the difference an 80mm optic makes esp in the late afternoon /evening is awsome, and plus ?100 min.

danda

I've yet to see a flimsy tripod that wasn't crap!

Get a carry case if you're worried about the "convenience of actually carrying it" (see my original post). I can't understand the thinking behind spending ?100, 200, 300 or more on a scope and then hanging it on a ?25 tripod.
And why anyone would want to take a Sachtler System 75 OB 2000 outside is also something of a mystery, as it's on castors and is actually a studio tripod!

Wow...

The ?6-and-a-half Grand price tag wasn't a clue? Remind me not to try irony again...

chemistry

it is interesting what people are saying about the tripods Iam looking at the velbrom range the ones with the round legs as these seem more stable.
I have also been looking at the opticron scopes around the ?200 markbut one of our club member has the centron and seeing the price that white hart found it is very tempting although I might still go for a larger objective lense.
please keep them coming
Nick
Any further feedback on the ?69 Centon? I'm thinking of getting one of these, esecially if it is the same as the jessops one (?199) and it also seem identical to the Hawke Endurance (?175) which gets good reviews).

Does the one from cameras2u cut the mustard?

chemistry

F

flamingbladerider

On ebay

LUYI 25-115 zoom X 80 mm Powerful Zoom Spotting Scope

?53 !!!!!!!! At 100yds you can have the gold filling the whole image or the whole of the boss. You can even see the name on the fletchings or arrows. To get that type of image for less than ?60 is impressive. You dont need to go and spend ?199.

Heres more the guy is selling

LUYI 25-115 zoom X 80mm Powerful Spotting Scope RRP 425 on eBay, Telescopes, Binoculars Telescopes, Photography (item 290146361972 end time 09-Aug-07 20:18:34 BST)

SimonW

Any further feedback on the ?69 Centon? I'm thinking of getting one of these, esecially if it is the same as the jessops one (?199) and it also seem identical to the Hawke Endurance (?175) which gets good reviews).

Does the one from cameras2u cut the mustard?

chemistry
I ordered one (just for the hell of it) on Thursday.

I should get it Monday and will post comments.

Simon

yoda

On ebay

LUYI 25-115 zoom X 80 mm Powerful Zoom Spotting Scope

?53 !!!!!!!! At 100yds you can have the gold filling the whole image or the whole of the boss. You can even see the name on the fletchings or arrows. To get that type of image for less than ?60 is impressive. You dont need to go and spend ?199.

Heres more the guy is selling

LUYI 25-115 zoom X 80mm Powerful Spotting Scope RRP 425 on eBay, Telescopes, Binoculars Telescopes, Photography (item 290146361972 end time 09-Aug-07 20:18:34 BST)

i was looking at some of his stuff but was put off by the "English" used in the descriptions but feedback looks pretty good overall, might have to give him the benefit of the doubt.

lifting up my old hanimex 7x50 binos every time isn't as much fun as i thought it would be lol.

interesting and informative topic and replies guys cheers.

yoda

guy at my club uses 15-45x60 and it's a good sight picture at 80yds, not had opportunity to sneak a look at further than that (yet). low light wont bother me too much as with my job i can't do evening shoots unless i'm on holiday (and the missus too as she works evenings so i have the kids)

F

flamingbladerider

i was looking at some of his stuff but was put off by the "English" used in the descriptions but feedback looks pretty good overall, might have to give him the benefit of the doubt.

lifting up my old hanimex 7x50 binos every time isn't as much fun as i thought it would be lol.

interesting and informative topic and replies guys cheers.
Well i bought one off him, no problems with delivery. The item is spot on. In fact i was using it this afternoon with 6 other people (if you know what i mean - "is that in the red or blue" )

For the money they are brilliant and the main thing is thay do the job !!!!!!!!!

rod

The American
Ironman
American Shoot
i am half tempted to bring my 5inch fluorite refractor, at 1250 mm long 40kg tripod and 15 kg counterweight it will not blow over plus it will split a line cutter at 2 miles, not that i have tried it for that

chemistry

I ordered one (just for the hell of it) on Thursday.

I should get it Monday and will post comments.

Simon
Simon,

Jessops reckon that the Centon doesn't have Bak4 prisms, unlike the seemingly identical Hawke Endurance (see not very insipring email exchange I've had with Jessops below).

When you get your Centon, can you confirm whether this is/isn't the case (for what it's worth, I suspect Jessops have got it wrong and the Centon does have a Bak4 prism...).

-------------------------

Dear Mr [chemistry],

Thank you for your reply. The Centon 20-60x60 uses a regular glass prism.

Kind Regards

Laurelle
Customer Support

>>> <> 8/7/2007 08:33 >>>

Dear Laurelle,

Thank you for your email. However, I understand that the Centon 20-60 x 60 uses an internal prism - my question was whether this is a BaK4 internal prism, or regular glass.

[chemistry]

------------------------------------------------------

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 06 August 2007 12:02
To: Subject: Re: Purchasing / Availability / Information:I would like moreinformation/advice about a product on Jess

Dear Mr [chemistry],

Thank you for your email. The Centon 20-60x60, uses a internal prism.
Sorry for any inconvenienced caused.

Kind Regards

Laurelle

wingate_52

I have just had a look at the scope on ebay. So flamingbladerider how is its performance and weatherhandling.

worthipa

Supporter
Supporter
Simon,

Jessops reckon that the Centon doesn't have Bak4 prisms, unlike the seemingly identical Hawke Endurance (see not very insipring email exchange I've had with Jessops below).

When you get your Centon, can you confirm whether this is/isn't the case (for what it's worth, I suspect Jessops have got it wrong and the Centon does have a Bak4 prism...).

-------------------------

Dear Mr [chemistry],

Thank you for your reply. The Centon 20-60x60 uses a regular glass prism.

Kind Regards

Laurelle
Customer Support
I think she answered your query OK, she said it "uses a regular glass prism" which means it's not a Bak4 prism otherwise she would have said it uses a Barium-Crown Glass prism. (which is what I suspected in my original post on the other thread about this spotting scope! http://www.archery-interchange.com/...-spotting-scope-too-good-true.html#post163170).

Let's face it, you don't get something for nothing.

chemistry

I think she answered your query OK, she said it "uses a regular glass prism" which means it's not a Bak4 prism otherwise she would have said it uses a Barium-Crown Glass prism. (which is what I suspected in my original post on the other thread about this spotting scope! http://www.archery-interchange.com/...-spotting-scope-too-good-true.html#post163170).

Let's face it, you don't get something for nothing.
Worthipa,

I agree with you that your suspicions (as posted in the related thread) are probably correct.

However , I disagree that Jessops reply was OK - the original reponse to my question as to whether it used a BaK4 prism was that "it uses an internal prism..." (which just reflects the wording on their website)! It was only when I introduced the idea of it being "regular glass" that this was then quoted back to me!

Still, as you say you don't get something for nothing, and I was never going to buy the (non BaK4?) one for ?199 from Jessops anyway, when it can be had for ?70 elsewhere!

chemistry

SLOWHAND

I use a Kowa TSN 2 scope with 20-60 zoom and a Slik D2 Tripod. These were the state of the art when I bought them 20 years ago. Still as good as new and far better than most scopes I have tried recently, even the very expensive ones.The light gathering, colour rendition and clarity is superb. Not gas filled and a bit bulky but you cant have everything without spending a fortune. My West Zeiss (not the inferior Carl Zeiss) 10x40 BGAT bins of the same vintage are also superb, I wouldn't swap 'em for anything.