Random quiver question

HeritageGrazier

This is a bit of a random question I am hoping someone might be able to help me with :)

I am a livestock grazier who practices regenerative grazing of species rich wild flower meadows, grazing for wildlife, soil health and carbon sequestration. One of the key parts of the method of grazing is moving livestock on a regular basis, usually daily. This involves using a lot of electric fencing and making putting out fencing as efficiently as possible really key. The best way I have found of putting out fencing quickly is to carry electric fence posts in a quiver and walk out a wire putting posts in as I go:

I bought a pretty cheap quiver to test out the concept and it works well, I can get up to 30 posts in the quiver which will do around 400m. The only problem I have found is that the quiver drops off my shoulder, presumably due to the fence posts being a top heavy and 90cm long. The cheap quiver has also broken recently.

So the help I am hoping someone, with more knowledge on archery can give me, is can anyone recommend a quiver that holds longer 'arrows' or that has a better strap configuration that will stop it dropping off my shoulder. Ideally I don't want to spend a lot but getting something that works would really make a difference.

Thank you for any help, I appreciate it probably isn't the normal sort of post you get on here!

James

Attachments

olis

Supporter
Supporter
This is not an archery answer. But if I were you I would rig something up with a blocked off length of drain pipe and straps for both shoulders. Quivers generally will not be up to the job. For the stronger fencer bigger pipe is an option, like drainage pipe perhaps.

HeritageGrazier

This is not an archery answer. But if I were you I would rig something up with a blocked off length of drain pipe and straps for both shoulders. Quivers generally will not be up to the job. For the stronger fencer bigger pipe is an option, like drainage pipe perhaps.
Definitely a good option thank you. I have seen people do similar with an old plastic kitchen bin for more bulky posts. Was just wondering if there was an 'off the shelf' option in the archery world.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
A second strap from the top of the bag; over the other shoulder and onto the wide strap just below your collar bone. Fix it to the bag and tie/buckle it to the wide strap at the front when you have put the bag on.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Or a strong velcro strip along the underside of the wide strap in the region that contacts your shoulder. If you use the hooks part of the velcro you may not need to fix the loops part to anything as the hooks will grip your clothing.

HeritageGrazier

Or a strong velcro strip along the underside of the wide strap in the region that contacts your shoulder. If you use the hooks part of the velcro you may not need to fix the loops part to anything as the hooks will grip your clothing.
Really helpful thank you, will have a tinker

HeritageGrazier

How about a golf trolley and bag, you'd get a lot more in there and wouldn't be carrying the weight.
Not a bad idea, but I need both hands free for the fencing and to feed on the wire as I walk. Though i might be able to fix the wire reel to the trolley, will have a think. Thank you

chuffalump

If you wanted to be really fancy, get one of those trolleys that follows you around 😆. Alternatively, get a hip quiver too and spread the load.

modernlongbow

Your baldric quiver lends itself to the addition of a belt that passes over the strap at your left hip. This will keep the strap from falling off your right shoulder.