Rattling from upper recurve limb

John blund

Hi. Hope someone can help me solve a problem.

My wife got new limbs today. I tuned her bow, but when she tried it there is a rattling noise from the upper limb. It sounds like it's coming from the base of the limb. I've tried tiller from 1cm to 0, braice height as recomended 20,5 to 23 cm. All screws are tight, plunger is tight, stabilizers are tightened, even the screws on the limbs. Removed the clicker and sight, but I can not get rid of the rattle. Her old limbs did not have this noise.

Set up:
Riser wns vantage ax, limbs wns Explorer w1 66" 28 pounds, plunger shibuya DX,
Fastflight string, Arrows avalon tyro 800

Hope someone can help.

John

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Loose locking nut for the tillerbolt?
Is the limb snug/too snug/ too loose in the u-slot and tiller bolt area?

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Are you using the same string? Could the bracing height be wrong?
Does the bow rattle if you pluck the string rather than shooting?

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
My guess is that the limb is binding on the limb adjustment bolt. This can make a variety of noises. I would suggest checking. If it's a little bit snug some vasaline might help. If it's very tight it may need a light sand to help the limb seat correctly. Then you'll find the tiller has changed too.

John blund

Are you using the same string? Could the bracing height be wrong?
Does the bow rattle if you pluck the string rather than shooting?

Same string. Tried brace height from 10mm to 0 normally she shoots with 3mm.
Rattling when plucking and shooting.
Will try another string today and also switch upper and lower limb to see if the noise changes location

John blund

My guess is that the limb is binding on the limb adjustment bolt. This can make a variety of noises. I would suggest checking. If it's a little bit snug some vasaline might help. If it's very tight it may need a light sand to help the limb seat correctly. Then you'll find the tiller has changed too.
Thanks. I will check this out, but don't think its the case.

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Same string. Tried brace height from 10mm to 0 normally she shoots with 3mm.
Rattling when plucking and shooting.
Will try another string today and also switch upper and lower limb to see if the noise changes location
Ah, you are talking about tiller. What's the distance between the string and the throat of the grip?

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
If the rattling sound is there when just plucking the string, it sounds like something is loose, rather than bow set up wrongly.
Does one limb rattle when it is held separate from the bow and tapped ? Does the riser rattle when no limbs are attached?
Could it be a loose bow grip?
Have you put the old limbs back in to see if the noise disappears?

John blund

If the rattling sound is there when just plucking the string, it sounds like something is loose, rather than bow set up wrongly.
Does one limb rattle when it is held separate from the bow and tapped ? Does the riser rattle when no limbs are attached?
Could it be a loose bow grip?
Have you put the old limbs back in to see if the noise disappears?

The riser and limb alene does not rattle.

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
It would never have occurred to me that a string could be causing a rattle. What might the mechanism be?

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Yes, I am interested in the explanation.
Different thicknesses of string may vibrate if the alignment of the bow isn't great. Different strings will have different elasticities. But a rattle? hmm.

John blund

And the rattle is back. After a couple of shots with my wifes bow, I put my win&win ns limbs on her bow. Dead silent. Put her limbs on my atf-x and the rattling followed the limbs. It seems to come from the base of the limb. Any suggestions

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
The string may be a different length, giving a different BH. Perhaps when it was shot more it stretched a little and back came the rattle.
Is it possible to slap the butt end of the limbs to see if anything rattles( apart from you teeth) or tap the butt end on something solid.Could a fitting be loose for example.

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
And the rattle is back. After a couple of shots with my wifes bow, I put my win&win ns limbs on her bow. Dead silent. Put her limbs on my atf-x and the rattling followed the limbs. It seems to come from the base of the limb. Any suggestions
Your string has stretched in. The limb is flapping on the limb adjustment bolt. Probably means your tiller is out, and you have a poor fit between limb and adjustment bolt.

BTW, what happens when your wife shoots her bow?

ROSCO

Have a look at the ILF, take top screw out check if pin and spring are there. If they are stretch the spring mybe fix