Rawhide

johnminnitt

Related to my other recent thread, does anyone know of anywhere in the UK that one can get rawhide strips for bow backing?
There's plenty in the US, but the postage makes it expensive, and they all seem to be only 36" lengths, not long enough for my long longbow (with splice or overlap in the handle it would need about 40").

Has anyone tried the unrolling dog chews idea (I haven't yet), if so do any give this sort of length?

johnminnitt

Thanks for that, I didn't know of them. Unfortunately they show the rawhide strips as unavailable at the moment, I hope they re-appear.

D

Deleted member 7654

I've done the raw hide from dog chews, you have to find the very big ones. It's dirty smelly, slippery and works fine :)
https://bowyersdiary.blogspot.com/search?q=rawhide
Now, see, if you'd just searched my blog... you'd have found it (sighs and flounces off stage left tossing imaginary hair) ;)
Del

johnminnitt

How foolish of me not to, firstly, consult the infallible oracle (head hangs in shame and embarassment).
I'll give it a go, if I can find the chews big enough.

Raven's_Eye

Ironman
There is tandy leather in the uk as well as the identity store. As del said pet shops stock it too.