Records and Double Rounds

triplespot

I've heard a few different opinions on this, so I thought I'd ask here for some more.

Rule 308 b) iii) (and 405 b) ii) for indoors) say that -

Double round records may be claimed for rounds marked * in column 2 of Tables 3-1, 3-2,
3-2A and 3-3 subject to restrictions given in Table 3-4
This is the only real mention of Double rounds and there's quite a lot of room for interpretation in that wording, specifically due to the word "may". I'd be interested in people's interpretation of whether this means -
  • If two of these eligible round are shot on the same day, it should be treated as if it's one round, not two separate ones. You only get one score, and it can only be used once for the purposes of record, handicaps and classifications.
  • or...
  • These could be looked at as two separate single rounds for the purposes of records, handicaps and classifications.
  • or...
  • either of these depending on which is the "best" way to interpret it.
I've heard all three of these at various times, and depending on how you interpret the word "may", I could see all of these being valid.

Interested to know what everyone else thinks, and whether anyone knows of any official guidance on this from ArcheryGB.

Shirt

Because it's way easier with an example, my understanding:
You shoot one of these rounds. Your scoresheet shows 450 + 550 = 1000.
You have three scores there - 450, 550, and 1000 - for the two singles and the double.
The ones that count are the first single (450), and the double (1000). The 550 on it's own does not count.

Geophys2

AIUK Saviour
If, however, it is shot over the two days of the weekend, say a double York, then if you break the record for a York on the first day, then break your own new record on the second day, then both can be recorded as new records, as can the Double York record for the combined score.

I was part of the organising team when this happened for the Ladies Barebow York when it was increased from 1100 to an amazing 1800 in the most atrocious weather I have seen. The first day was constantly interrupted by torrential rain and thunder and gales, with the second day conditions being more like the Somme. the second day score of 937 is still the record as is the 1800 for the double. It is still the greatest archery display I have ever witnessed.

triplespot

Thanks @Shirt for another very plausible interpretation of this. There seem to be many different interpretations of this. I've seen archers chasing classifications asking for double rounds to be treated as 2 single rounds for classification purposes (because the Double rounds don't have handicap/classification tables), but wanting to also claim a club/county record for the Double. Some people are fine with that view, others see it as a sort of double counting (having cake and eating it).

I guess this is all just confirming my view that the Rules of Shooting could do with some clarification around this, as I get as many different opinions on it as the number of people that I ask.

dragonhead

If, however, it is shot over the two days of the weekend, say a double York, then if you break the record for a York on the first day, then break your own new record on the second day, then both can be recorded as new records, as can the Double York record for the combined score.

I was part of the organising team when this happened for the Ladies Barebow York when it was increased from 1100 to an amazing 1800 in the most atrocious weather I have seen. The first day was constantly interrupted by torrential rain and thunder and gales, with the second day conditions being more like the Somme. the second day score of 937 is still the record as is the 1800 for the double. It is still the greatest archery display I have ever witnessed.
😅 well thank you very much, I really appreciate the compliment. Had a thoroughly fun time shooting that weekend, thank you so much for organising the tournament. I still have pictures of my muddy legs-splashed all the way up to my hips!

AJBrady

The GNAS Rules of Shooting used to say specifically that two separate rounds couldn't be shot on the same day (other than as a Double Round), because obviously you'd have had far more than the allowed sighters for the second round. I've not been able to find this in the current rules.

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
The GNAS Rules of Shooting used to say specifically that two separate rounds couldn't be shot on the same day (other than as a Double Round), because obviously you'd have had far more than the allowed sighters for the second round. I've not been able to find this in the current rules.
was it in the rules or was it in the SAPs? The SAPs have lots of things about rankings, records, classifications, handicaps, etc

AJBrady

was it in the rules or was it in the SAPs? The SAPs have lots of things about rankings, records, classifications, handicaps, etc
I've got them in the archives somewhere. I'll dig them out over the weekend and report back.

LAC Mark

😅 well thank you very much, I really appreciate the compliment. Had a thoroughly fun time shooting that weekend, thank you so much for organising the tournament. I still have pictures of my muddy legs-splashed all the way up to my hips!
Wow, that's a hell of a score, well done.
For those that don't know, for a male Barebow archer the GMB score is over 812, so 937 is an amazing score.

Geophys2

AIUK Saviour
Wow, that's a hell of a score, well done.
For those that don't know, for a male Barebow archer the GMB score is over 812, so 937 is an amazing score.
It is even more amazing, when the really atrocious weather conditions are taken into account. On the day she would have podiumed in the gent's compound never mind ladies barebow. As I said the greatest archery display I have ever seen. (Well that and my own 3 compounders' 10s on a Portsmouth, with a longbow, twice in one shoot! :cool: )

fbirder

A lot of my members have been submitting scores for double rounds this week.

When it comes to classification and handicap calculations am I right that only the first round of the day counts? Neither the Rules of Shooting, nor Golden Records has any mention of them.

fbirder

Just the first round each day.
Many thanks

I have one archer who is claiming a club record for a WA1440. He is also claiming club records for the individual distances (90, 70, 50 and 30m) shot as part of the WA1440.

Is that allowed?

It's OK. I've just read Rule 308 (b) (iv)

Claims will not be accepted for a shorter round shot by an archer within a longer round on the same day.

And then, in clause (v)

Distance records may be claimed when shot during the following complete rounds subject to conditions given in Rule 308(b)(iv): WA 1440 (Gentlemen), WA1440 (Ladies), Metrics I, II, III , IV and V. Note: See Shooting Administrative Procedure 5 for procedures governing record claims.

Last edited:

little-else

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
WA rules deem that for a double round the 2 halves are separate and so can count as stand alone scores. That is why you get sighters for the second half.
Back in Victorian days endurance records were noted in many sports